I just got the change oil light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had my truck a year, it is a 2016 with the 5.7. I change my oil every 5000 miles on the nose and I’m at 4000 since the last change now. I have never seen this light before today. Does the computer knows something I don’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did you reset the change oil indicator when you did the last oil change.You can use the button on the steering column to reset it,but it'***** or miss on it actually resetting the indicator,the full proof way to reset the indicator is turn the key or ignition to the "run" position,but with-out starting the truck,then depress the accelator pedal to the floor 3 times in a row with-in about 20 or 30 seconds,turn key /ignition back off,then start truck.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No....have yet to do that. Betcha they forgot, I usually check it but I forgot as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Or just turn key to run without starting and reset on dash.

View attachment 211599

That ones hit or miss on whether it'll actually reset the indicator,the full proof way is key on,pedal to the floor 3 times,key off,then start truck.The pedal to the floor trick resets most vehicles,not just Rams

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That ones hit or miss on whether it'll actually reset the indicator,the full proof way is key on,pedal to the floor 3 times,key off,then start truck.The pedal to the floor trick resets most vehicles,not just Rams

I never had a problem. Maybe you have to hold it and not just tap the arrow, don’t remember.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I never had a problem. Maybe you have to hold it and not just tap the arrow, don’t remember.

There's a few threads even on here where the button doesn't reset the indicator unless you work at it.Remember the key on pedal to the floor trick,as it works in the majority of north American vehicles and probably does in the majority of imports to.If you jump in a GM it's easier to remember key on and pedal to the floor 3 times,then have to figure out how to do it through buttons,lol.The key on/pedal to the floor 3 times is pretty well an industry standard in north American vehicles

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Does the indicator work off mileage alone or other sensors/driving behaviors?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ehh. Did you tow or any high rpm. The pc figures life by rpm x time = total revs or something like that. so let's say you towed a lot oil life would be up way sooner. At least that's the way my other cars do it. Never went that far on the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The key on/pedal to the floor 3 times is pretty well an industry standard in north American vehicles
Ford Transit is key on and hold both the accelerator and brake to the floor till you see: "Service: Oil reset complete“.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ford Transit is key on and hold both the accelerator and brake to the floor till you see: "Service: Oil reset complete“.

For ***** and giggles try the key on, pedal to the floor 3 times and see if it resets Crash,as GM and FCA products work that way,and I was under the impression it also works on Fords,but I might be wrong

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ehh. Did you tow or any high rpm. The pc figures life by rpm x time = total revs or something like that. so let's say you towed a lot oil life would be up way sooner. At least that's the way my other cars do it. Never went that far on the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

Not much since the oil change. Haven't been to the truck since I posted this...been nursing a bad back problem...Will reset later this evening.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK none of that worked for this one any other ideas?

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait, is it the brake pedal to the floor or the gas pedal to the floor?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gas Pedal.
Turn the key all the way to on without starting the engine and right away, push the pedal 5 times (could be 3 i just do 5 because that's what i've been doing it for years with other vehicles), then start the engine and check the status on the oil. Should be 100% if you did it right. You can also reset the counter from that same option.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s 3 times, and you turn the key back to off before you start it ...

Jayc19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Does yours have the 8.4 screen? I go to truck info and cycle till I get to the oil life screen. Then I think it’s press and hold the steering wheel control right arrow.

OP
OP
DeckArtist

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does yours have the 8.4 screen? I go to truck info and cycle till I get to the oil life screen. Then I think it’s press and hold the steering wheel control right arrow.
Yes I do have that one. Will try it. I also ahve the pushbutton starter so maybe that's why that one didn't work.