Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

I really like the new Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TSR6, Aug 28, 2019.

1. TSR6

TSR6 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    So, I've used a lot of different waxes - most recently was the Meguiars Ultimate line (and the aerosol last summer) - and this Hybrid Ceramic Wax is some cool stuff.

I'm VERY happy with the time savings that it gives (removes the wax-on/wax-off step since you "work" in the wax while you dry the truck), the shine, and the durability.

Here's a quick video I did during my first application:

...and then I did just a very quick (20min max) wash & wax job after a road trip to Canada and back (13 hours of driving one way, gravel roads and more!)

I think about the only thing Meguiars could do better with this stuff is to find away to embed this into a sudsing car wash mix.

Josh Vicini, gofishn and Abaco like this.
  2. quickster2

quickster2 Member Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Hope you are using a Grit Guard in your bucket:). I'm using the Aerolon Tech Shine same type of application. Boats, motorcycles, cars, trucks, these types of water activated polymers are amazing. Wish they were available when I remember doing a Blue Coral wax job with my Dad on a black car. Took several hours for the both of us.

gofishn and McBroom like this.
  3. McBroom

McBroom U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000 Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    I’ve got a thread somewhere about this coating.
    I’ve had a single coat on my wife’s Jeep Trailhawk now for 2 1/2 months and all I do is rinse it off once in a while. The water beads up and rolls off. Bam a nice clean Jeep with no real work.
    I really like it. I’d like it even more if it covered more area

The Blue Mule

Josh Vicini and gofishn like this.
  4. TSR6

TSR6 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I like to live dangerously. I normally use two buckets, but I need to replace my 2nd bucket... someone (not me) in my household ended up cracking it.

You know, If I didnt have hard water, I'd probably just need a light wash/rinse on mine too. That's what I love about this stuff though - is that it's perfect for me. A light mist, rinse and dry it down and im good to go.

I actually tried adding it to my soap (about 7-8 sprays) on one of the washes. It kinda ruined the suds, but I think it could be an option.

What do you mean about coverage? On my first bottle, and first wash, I used WAAAYY to much. You should be able to get a full summer of car washes out of one bottle with this once you get your base coat done. 1 spray for each door, one on the fenders, two on the quarters, 3 sprays on the hood, 2-3 sprays on the roof. It's not like you have to get carried away and use this like the old spray waxes where you have to use a ton of stuff.

5. McBroom

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    I guess I used way too much. On her Jeep I used 2 whole bottles. I did her black wheels and all. Trust me my arthritis was telling me about it. 2 bottles then a good rinse. I’m guessing it’ll take 3 bottles for the Ram. It’s got 10 acres of paint. Damn it’s a big truck.

The Blue Mule

gofishn likes this.
  6. Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Sport Quad BSP
    Engine:
    3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
    Using too much on your base application is not a bad thing, but prepare for a nice shoulder and forearm workout on a 4 door full sized truck.

Follow up maintenance should just be a couple light mists(there are two nozzle settings) from the top and let the water shower blend it into the rest. I'm just about to do my first this weekend but extremely impressed after the base coat and driving through torrential downpour the next day. Literally flowed streaming water over the windshield(wiped it down as well) and I could see waterfalls coming down the back window. Later that day it was basically spotless when the sun came up other than the residue from tires/road. Rumor has it that it looks the same to this day...

7. TSR6

TSR6 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    waaaaaaaaay too much.

Seriously. A little goes a long way with this stuff. Like I mentioned, 3 sprays for the hood alone has it covered. You're basically spraying it and using the water to distribute it, and the drying rag to work it in and make it uniform.

McBroom likes this.
  8. TSR6

TSR6 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Yep. It works great. In my case I went to Canada and back, dirt roads, ect - and the only thing I had was a little road grime and then some road tar (they were spraying the highway in an area) to take care of. It all wiped off easy. I'd say this could easily be a 6mo wax in my area with no upkeep... but I'll still touch up every time I wash. I park outside, and havent washed it in 2 weeks now and it still looks great.

9. quickster2

quickster2 Member Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
    Engine:
    6.4L
    Not trying to sell Aerolon here. Watch the Aerolon video about using a sponge for application insuring good impingement with the substrate. I'm speculating the Meguiar's would benefit from this 'wipe" as well. A bit more work but I would think it would pay dividends.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    McBroom likes this.
  10. McBroom

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    I agree a good uniform wipe to spread it evenly would probably help it.
    I know I used 10X to much but,it was my first experience with it.

The Blue Mule