I stupidly put windshield washer fluid where the coolant goes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I opened the hood, saw the yellow cap on the left, opened it and started to pour windshield washer fluid in it. and that is when i realized the other BRIGHT YELLOW cap that has a windshield washer symbol on it. I quickly pulled back the jug, and said the F word out loud. o_O

I probably poured about 1-2 cups in there. Should I go get it flushed right away? From what I read on Google, most says it'll be fine, but some can turn the coolant into gel.
I have done this before so don’t feel bad. I put almost half a gallon of rainx in the coolant. The system is big enough to were that small amount in the overflow will not harm your engine. If you can drain the reservoir and replace with concentrated coolant not 50/50 and you will be fine

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UGH
Rain-X comes in 2 different color types

Never use Rain-X on a motorcycle wind screen

Didn't anyone tell you that Rain-X could plug the lines & the windshield washer pump in a vehicle
If you use the wrong color Rain-X, you would be cussing yourself & Rain-X
I've used both the purple and orange, and even mix them on both my Jeep and RAM, ran it in my '99 ZR2 for the 10 years I owned it, ran it in my '96 Ram, never heard of Rainex clogging lines, and haven't had any problems

rustyjonez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
1-2 cups in the overflow bottle you're fine. Assuming this was standard blue w/s washer fluid, it's mostly water and alcohol, which will boil away.

If you filled the overflow bottle, I'd say suck it out with a hand pump, or shop vac or just hose it out with water and replenish with the orange/red liquid gold.
I did it too. 3 years ago. I just drained out as much as I could and refilled. No problems

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lmao! I was thinking new brakes and tires for sure.
On a serious note, highly recommend changing the liquid cooled muffler baffle. The heat and washer fluid will expedite corrosion. If it fails you have to replace the cats.

The dealer will argue that you don’t need to, they make ALOT of money off cats. Cats are not covered by any warranty, insist that they change the baffles.

I just had my done on a 6.4 for $150.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I opened the hood, saw the yellow cap on the left, opened it and started to pour windshield washer fluid in it. and that is when i realized the other BRIGHT YELLOW cap that has a windshield washer symbol on it. I quickly pulled back the jug, and said the F word out loud. o_O

I probably poured about 1-2 cups in there. Should I go get it flushed right away? From what I read on Google, most says it'll be fine, but some can turn the coolant into gel.

I started my engine without oil in it for like 10 seconds after my rebuild before I clued in on WTF I was doing. . Hope that makes you feel better. Glad I use a metric **** ton of assembly lube... lol...

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The OP has probably already taken care of this by now….but last week I dumped G05 in my coolant reservoir, about a pint in is when my brain decided to remember the OAT and HOAT thing. Still can’t figure out what the hell is in my 2013, OAT or HOAT, in any case I bought an $8 transfer pump from harbor freight and sucked the reservoir out, flushed it a few times with water and then dumped some distilled in to get me through the winter, until I can flush in the spring. The xfer pump will come in handy again when I do the full flush. Quick and easy fix.

OP
OP
El_Dude

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
I was able to siphon it out. no biggie. I'll probably end up painting the cap blue.