ICON Stage 2 + Delta Joint UCA installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
so how is the icons so far ?

an planing to replace my bils 5100's with the icon all four corners and my wish is to have a smoother ride at the highways and dirty roads

It's great. These will do what you ask.

I honestly don't find them any harsher or stiffer at low speed. They just "settle and level out quicker after a hit...big or little. I guess if you get a little hit and it goes from moving to not moving very quickly, it may feel harsh? I dunno. I think its more planted, personally.

The one weirdness is the noise in the rear...the light thunking and clacking...probably the top coils clicking together on certain types of hits (speed bumps). Seems to be a common issue. I'm already used to it, but it deff wasn't there with the stock rear. When you hot ass it, and really give 'er, you don't hear it at all. That's of course only if you get the coils too.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

I honestly don't find them any harsher or stiffer at low speed. They just "settle and level out quicker after a hit...big or little. I guess if you get a little hit and it goes from moving to not moving very quickly, it may feel harsh? I dunno. I think its more planted, personally.

The one weirdness is the noise in the rear...the light thunking and clacking...probably the top coils clicking together on certain types of hits (speed bumps). Seems to be a common issue. I'm already used to it, but it deff wasn't there with the stock rear. When you hot ass it, and really give 'er, you don't hear it at all. That's of course only if you get the coils too.
Wonder if you could wrap the coils with some thin rubber tubing, the bilstein coils I have had a wrap around the upper coils, I assume to compensate in case of coil bind. Idk. Mine made a few funky noises on my run, nothing worth paying mind to in a sense, just paid attention to isolate it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bough some vinyl tubing from Lowes per some post I’ve found in the bimmer forums, it seems something common with progressive springs. I’m used to it already and doesn’t bother me, but thinking to help the community making them quiet I’ll test wrapping this stuff out in the upper coils that are actually resting again each other.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bough some vinyl tubing from Lowes per some post I’ve found in the bimmer forums, it seems something common with progressive springs. I’m used to it already and doesn’t bother me, but thinking to help the community making them quiet I’ll test wrapping this stuff out in the upper coils that are actually resting again each other.

I'm curious if we even have the space between the coils to wrap anything. Mine are only a hair apart at rest, unloaded.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious if we even have the space between the coils to wrap anything. Mine are only a hair apart at rest, unloaded.
Just droop the rear a little to create some space in the coils then wrap the coil with the plastic tube or hose or anything to deter the metal from banging together. Google noisy progressive springs, it seems a common issue with progressive springs. There are bunch of vendors that sell springs with insulators already for their progressive coils, TRD has some for their offroad coils, some pepole use heater hoses, plastic tubes etc etc. i guess you don't hear much from the offroad crowd because is really nothing to worry about too much

This Bimmer dude did this for example
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609774

I went to Lowes and bough this for $4 and i'll try to install some today.
40394813723_efd2ad6d48_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just droop the rear a little to create some space in the coils then wrap the coil with the plastic tube or hose or anything to deter the metal from banging together. Google noisy progressive springs, it seems a common issue with progressive springs. There are bunch of vendors that sell springs with insulators already for their progressive coils, TRD has some for their offroad coils, some pepole use heater hoses, plastic tubes etc etc. i guess you don't hear much from the offroad crowd because is really nothing to worry about too much

This Bimmer dude did this for example
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609774

I went to Lowes and bough this for $4 and i'll try to install some today.
40394813723_efd2ad6d48_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Where those coils nearly sit on eachother, i wonder if adding all that tubing to that compressed upper portion will add any lift to the rear.

There is something like 5 coils touching each other, right? That tubing is 1/8" thick walls. So add 5/8ths of thickness to the upper portion and compensate for a little squishing of the vinyl and you might find it sitting an extra 1/2" higher?

yousef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

maybe I'll go with the icon .. all ready have the rear coils and yes there is noise I dont know why but am ok with it just need a better ride at the highways and the really bothering potholes

thank you for the response.. just another thing do you have the remote res at the rear ?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where those coils nearly sit on eachother, i wonder if adding all that tubing to that compressed upper portion will add any lift to the rear.

There is something like 5 coils touching each other, right? That tubing is 1/8" thick walls. So add 5/8ths of thickness to the upper portion and compensate for a little squishing of the vinyl and you might find it sitting an extra 1/2" higher?
I don't think you'll gain any lift. i certainly don't wish to add anymore lift :) I'll see if i add just some small pieces to simply fill the gaps.
I don't hear the noise with the windows up but it's there mostly when you go through a speed bump because of how fast the springs unload and load back up.
This is how close they are in their normal resting position
46446064365_26575e38cc_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And done
5 min to make to make this beauties, lol
46638822584_a0ee8f3148_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

and 3 min for install even putting the jack and stands
32419945477_00daf0b1ca_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Open the coils just a bit
33485831888_a1fc74fa97_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Then slide the platic tube in, V1, won't be the more cute things to look at but what the heck is for testing purposes hahaha

33485831888_a1fc74fa97_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

46638842114_8a651e9681_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

And with the weight resting on them
47361970961_93467ccf06_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

47361971251_99dc3fd716_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Now i need to go out to the supermarket and stretch her legs on those pesky speed bumps.
I'll be back... :)

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And V2 did the trick i'll say covering for about 98% of the noise, i'm almost positive if you more insulation you'll reach 100%, Could be either more pieces (i'm just using single little pieces located at 12 o'clok and 6 o'clock in one coil wound, then then 3 and 9 for the other as a test, then back to 12 and 6 for the next one down covering all 5 wounds) or one big single one that will be coiled up all the away around covering all 5 wounds. But i'll leave that to you guys to find out.
Again this noise thing doesn't bother me one single bit but i wanted to test $4 can solve the issue for others who maybe bothered by a little clunk here and there.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
And V2 did the trick i'll say covering for about 90% of the noise, i'm almost positive if you add more insulation you'll reach 100%, Could be either more pieces (i'm just using single little pieces located at 12 o'clok and 6 o'clock in one coil wound, then then 3 and 9 for the other as a test, then back to 12 and 6 for the next one down covering all 5 wounds) or one big single one that will be coiled up all the away around covering all 5 wounds. But i'll leave that to you guys to find out.
Again this noise thing doesn't bother me one single bit but i wanted to test $4 can solve the issue for others who maybe bothered by a little clunk here and there.
Nice! Gotta love the low buck solutions!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And V2 did the trick i'll say covering for about 90% of the noise, i'm almost positive if you add more insulation you'll reach 100%, Could be either more pieces (i'm just using single little pieces located at 12 o'clok and 6 o'clock in one coil wound, then then 3 and 9 for the other as a test, then back to 12 and 6 for the next one down covering all 5 wounds) or one big single one that will be coiled up all the away around covering all 5 wounds. But i'll leave that to you guys to find out.

Awesome. For science!

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

hahaha, you so craaaazy

:crazy:

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, @ram1500rsm was right as usual. The shafts could deff use some protection! Was checking them out today and saw quite a bit of pitting on the lower mounting brackets and the body. Nothing I could feel on the shafts themselves, but I'll have to inspect more closely soon . Not too worried currently, but want to avoid future pitting issues. I just purchased the Icon rear shock boots, only $17.90 for two with free shipping from stage 3 motor sports.

IMG_20190317_151119.jpg Screenshot_20190317-154734.png IMG_20190317_151125.jpg

I know the cons to boots are trapping crud and moisture resulting in more damage to shafts/seals...however, I live in a very very dry climate and my main issue is sand and rocks flying back from desert dirt roads. I also may cut out the back of them making an opening to dry any moisture and clean em. I'll experiement and get back to y'all.

Thought about getting the Fox Roost Shields...but I'm pretty sure they would not fit.

Screenshot_20190317-155805.png

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon used to make some shin guards or whatever they're called for the 2.0's, call Icon and ask them if they still have those. The custom thing I did for the Kings is working like a champ too and it's a cheaper option if those boots won't work though they should do the job.
Have fun.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Icon used to make some shin guards or whatever they're called for the 2.0's, call Icon and ask them if they still have those. The custom thing I did for the Kings is working like a champ too and it's a cheaper option if those boots won't work though they should do the job.
Have fun.

Will call and ask on Monday. Any opinions regarding using the boots as is (sealed all around) or cutting them to expose the back to air (or some similar modifying)?

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will call and ask on Monday. Any opinions regarding using the boots as is (sealed all around) or cutting them to expose the back to air (or some similar modifying)?
I ran boots and never had a problem

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to add this to my original post but I usually "seal" the boots so it's water tight

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Forgot to add this to my original post but I usually "seal" the boots so it's water tight

Please elaborate. Boots usually have drain holes and i cant imagine they wouldnt 'suck' **** in with the push-pull essentially pumping air/water in and out.