If I'm selling my truck very soon, but need to fit on some 20x10 wheels with 325/60R20 Tires, should I just do level or go Billstein 5100?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CountChocula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2015 Ram 1500 Crew cab 4x4 5.7L
Stock everything right now for wheels and suspension.
Will unfortunately need to sell the truck here really soon.
Already have the wheels and tires.

Would it matter much from a resale point to go Billstein to clear?
Previous seller had 2.5" Level on front only and said that's all he had and only had slight rubbing at full turn.
Looked a little squatted down and not "right" to me with the fatter wheel.

I wouldn't mind spending a LITTLE more $ if the new buyer will appreciate it being done "the Right way?" but if I'll lose money I'd probably not care so much about the wheel gap.

It does have fender flares on it currently (Yes on stock wheels ugh)

Thanks!

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a bit confused, why are you going to start changing stuff if the truck is going up be sold?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you already buy the wheels and tires for the 20x10s? Bills are super cheap but hard to find right now.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I can tell nobody seems to care whether things are done "right" or not. Don't give the new owner an unsafe time bomb of course but I doubt you'll get any ROI on undertaking premium effort.

OP
OP
CountChocula

CountChocula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any deals anyone sees on 5100 or lightly used 5100s or level kits for sale let me know also.

OP
OP
CountChocula

CountChocula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you already buy the wheels and tires for the 20x10s? Bills are super cheap but hard to find right now.
I have them and I'd shelf the whole project but the stock tires are close to needing replaced so I'd just as soon slap them on to raise the value of the truck a little hopefully and/or sell quicker. Saw that they're tough to find. Guessing they're all sold individual?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have them and I'd shelf the whole project but the stock tires are close to needing replaced so I'd just as soon slap them on to raise the value of the truck a little hopefully and/or sell quicker. Saw that they're tough to find. Guessing they're all sold individual?
Not really sure if the small lift will raise the value. No punn intended lol.

If you swap out the control arms and other goodies maybe though.

OP
OP
CountChocula

CountChocula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As far as I can tell nobody seems to care whether things are done "right" or not. Don't give the new owner an unsafe time bomb of course but I doubt you'll get any ROI on undertaking premium effort.
Sadly I tend to agree with you. Definitely would never put anything shady on it even if I'm selling it. Would say an Amazon $100 3" front and 2" rear level kit be considered a time bomb? I'm truly asking not being facetious? ROI was exactly my question. Thx

OP
OP
CountChocula

CountChocula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not really sure if the small lift will raise the value. No punn intended lol.

If you swap out the control arms and other goodies maybe though.
Hahaha Gotcha. I guess just to fit the tires would be the primary reason. Guessing the average buyer of a used 1500 wouldn't pay more for a "leveled" truck? I'm a bit torn and hate doing things half-a$$ed but don't want to throw $ down the toile

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
There's no way to tell what the future buyer will want. In fact, I'd venture to say that whatever you install.... they will change it out to something else anyways, so let them deal with it.

I'd sell the truck as is with the wheel & tire combo you just got, and let them decide on which route to go and install them.

Put the money into getting it ready for Sale ie; cleaned up really well. You'll likely not see any more money put into it otherwise :waytogo:

GLWS

Reactions: j-b

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure it will add value if you go with less expensive option like 5100's. I will say if you did spacers and the person knew what they are looking at it would reduce the value or scare someone away. 5100's are a cheap correct way to do it but it wont add much value because they are fairly cheap. If it was a bigger investment like a lift or Eibach Pro Kit, then I could see SOME added value there.

It also depends on how bad they rub. If it is slight at full lock no big deal. If it rubs a lot at partial wheel turn then that would scare some possible buyers away i would think.

If you need any quotes on anything, message me and we can go over options, pricing, and availability.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
They were. Bilstein had a huge back log on these for a while. They got caught up fairly recently.
Ill take you word for it. I ordered mine from amazon in September and Ive searched for them on there and linked them for others at least a half a dozen times since. actually the ones I linked are old stock with old packaging and thats why they are discounted ive been told. it makes sense that they might have been hard to find at many places because they were changing the part numbers and packaging but it seems theres some of the old stuff floating around.
I do not have stock shocks to compare them too but the 5100s handle very well for me and im very please with them. I would consider them a step above OEM and they will be new.. both things would only help resale in my mind.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
DO NOT lift the truck if you are selling it. It will sell far faster and for a higher price stock. First thing most buyers think when they see a lifted truck is that it has been Boony Bashed. I buy and sell a fair number of vehicles, I do NOT buy altered pickups.

Second point, you will get more for wheels, accessories etc selling them separately. You can even ask the potential buyers if they are interested in the wheels etc. When you see how few are I think you will understand what I am saying better. A truck with tires that are near worn out are easy for a buyer to see, are an easy fix and simple to price. Let the buyer decide if they want bigger meats.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would sell as is. You can put 2 prices, say (just picking a random number) 15k as is, or for 16k and I'll throw in the new tires and rims. Leave it up to the buyer what they want to install.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A private buyer MIGHT pay a little extra for mods, but it wont be much. A vehicle is generally worth what it's worth, modded or not. I sold my heavily modified Protege privately several years ago for ~ $1000 over KBB, a dealer wouldnt have made me that offer. I had about $8000 in mods and most of the stock parts. I got real lucky with the buyer wanting mods but not able to install them himself or pay the premium for parts/installs. Sell the truck, sell the parts separately, IMO.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
A private buyer MIGHT pay a little extra for mods, but it wont be much. A vehicle is generally worth what it's worth, modded or not. I sold my heavily modified Protege privately several years ago for ~ $1000 over KBB, a dealer wouldnt have made me that offer. I had about $8000 in mods and most of the stock parts. I got real lucky with the buyer wanting mods but not able to install them himself or pay the premium for parts/installs. Sell the truck, sell the parts separately, IMO.
Dealers will try to return to stock or send it off to auction for some used car dealer to sell to someone like me. When I bought my ecodiesel I didnt even know it had a lowering kit in it and it was deleted with a banks intake. When I test drove it I looked under it and saw there was no cat converter but honestly I didnt even know if diesels had them at the time. It wasnt till after I bought it that I realised what I bought and when I asked the dealer about it they shrugged thier shoulder and said thats how they bought it at auction and if it was illegal to sell then they shouldnt have been able to buy it at auction that way. At some point I could tell the stock wheels were put on and other aftermarket goodies had been removed prior to me buying it to make it look as stock as possible. I know my trucks tuned but I have no info on whos tune is on the ECM.. frustrating.

My buddy works for a dealership and he used to get all sorts of aftermarket goodies people traded thier cars in with that all had to be removed and disposed of. even car stereos were returned to stock offerings.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Unless I'm buying a new vehicle..... Dealers and I don't do business. Sure, there's always the exception, but rare.

Theres a reason they get the name "Stealerships"