I'm not happy with Method Rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
First time I heard something like that. Belts?
Whats that about? It maybe possible.
All tires are formed using circular belts of material that wrap around the tire. You see them when you see blown tires on the highway. If the belts aren't layed out perfectly, and the larger the tire the more likely that happens, then it vibrates on the highway. Dynamic balancing helps but if the tires are out enough, even when perfectly balanced you can get vibration at certain speed. Does the vibration go away 10 mph faster or does it just keep getting worse the faster u go. If it keeps getting worse it could well be belts. If it goes away your tire balance isn't done right.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Dean2 Thanks for the info. It does get worse the faster I go. However I noticed that if I keep it at a certain speed on the cruise control, then it seems to be smoother.
I'm thinking that I would get a second opinion by taking the setup to another shop to get balanced again.
It may not be the rims.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the Method rims repaired and the wheels balanced again at a different shop. All looks good. However still the vibration persists. I took it to my mechanic and he noticed that the tie-rod ends we touching the rims.
He took it to a shop and they suggested that I put spacers because the Method rims aren't properly seating well on the hubs. The reason being that all that is holding the rims in place are the bolts and nuts. So far I've not noticed it being an issue.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-08 at 16.24.48.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-02-08 at 16.24.32.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-02-08 at 17.03.08(1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-02-08 at 17.03.06.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-02-08 at 17.03.08.jpeg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would sell those rims and get a properly fitted set with the correct offsets. Touching ball joints and adding spacers is WAY not on in my books.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crazy that all the other times the shop has looked at the rims no one ever noticed. I would lean towards new rims also, but I understand your struggles sourcing stuff locally there. What brand/size spacers are you thinking?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I think the new tires may have something to do with the rubbing problem but I have to say, the first shop is not very impressive since they missed this when they mounted the tires and balanced them. They also missed it the second go round when you were complaining about the vibration as did the second shop you went to. I would be going back to both of them and demanding a refund of the fees for mounting and balancing. Best of luck.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I chose the rims because they had the correct backspacing and offset suggested by BDS on their site. So when the shop mentioned to use spacers, I was a little surprised.
As it turns out, part of the issue a vital step was missed when installing the 4" BDS lift kit. The tie rods need to be trimmed. The mechanic installing the lift did trim the tie-rods, but not nearly enough. To add to the issue, I bought the kit used so the tie rods ends that came with it were a bit worn. The stock ones they replaced were in a worse condition. So I would have to get new ends.
Once this is done, there should be no more issues. However, I will be there is the fact of the rims only being held on by the studs and wheel nuts.
The mechanic suggested spacers to make the rims more hub-centric or replace the rims. I don't see the need since I have been using the same rims for almost 6 months with the same hubs and didn't have an issue till now.

Eventually, I will move away from the methods and possibly into something with a -12 or -18 offset, but I need to save up for them.

y2k22Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The lip of those center caps you installed may be preventing the wheel from seating properly causing a vibration.

y2k22Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was just a thought. I had a similar problem before and it was a seating issue from a factory retainer on a rotor.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, its been year. Have been rotating tires and stuff. I had two tires changed under warranty, but still the vibrations persist. Recently had the shocks replaced and an alignment done. Collected the truck from the alignment shop and everything seemed fine.
Then this happened when I was on a highway.
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 17.00.07.jpeg
Managed to stopped on the side of the road. Had trouble finding a nearby shop to help me because it is Ramadan in Dubai and all of them were closing early. Called my mechanic and he went directly to the alignment shop to have a few choice words with them. After all, they just tried to kill one of his customers.
They said that they would do whatever they could to replace and fix it under their cost.
So limped the truck over and left it here.
Picked it up today and everything seems great. However they said that they "repaired" the rim rather than replaced it. My mechanic kept a close eye on them and they work and had them check everything else to make sure that it's all good. So I'm pretty sure that I won't have any issues. Now it will be just trying to adjust the shocks to make the ride just the way I want it.
I'm still not happy with the methods, so I'm not going to be keeping them for long. Maybe will be changing them over in a month or two.
What route do I take. Do I change the entire set for another set of after market rims OR do I go down the spacer and stock rims route?
This recent situation had me thinking about this whole replacement rim. Should one of my current set be damaged irrevocably, finding a replacement would be hard. I would have to consider replacing the entire set.
The only reason I switched to these was because my stock ones would not fit the BDS lift. I need to find a set with the correct backspacing.
The idea of running a set of 1.5 inch spacers on stock rims is beginning to make a little bit more sense because stock rims would be easier to find in the event that I need a replacement. I could even save a little bit of coin and go for the steel rims - which are considered better for off road anyways.
I've always been against using spacers. Thought that those were unsafe. However, now I've watched a few videos and I think I was wrong. If you don't cheap out and you get good quality ones (Bora, Supreme, Bonoss), you could even do some heavy off-road stuff with them and not have any issues.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might check in the "Lifted" sub-forum to see what others have done/used, if you haven't already. I would think there's probably a lot of info with this same or similar scenario.