In desperate need of 5th wheel towing advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed2104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello everyone! I have a 2021 ram 2500 laramie 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins. It has a payload capacity of 1987 lbs, GAWR front 6000 lbs, GAWR REAR 6040 lbs, R rated tires, and the 5th wheel prep package. We are looking to purchase a keystone Sprinter 31MB that weights 9500 lbs dry with a pin weight of 1715 lbs. My family would roughly be 350 lbs, the hitch 250 lbs, and maybe 300 lbs in cargo. The RV dealership says that I should have no problem and to not worry about the payload numbers since occupants and cargo is already taken into account and will not count agains my total payload. I‘ve been doing my researching online and I can’t seem to find a straight answer. I contacted the dealer where I purchase the truck and RAM’s headquarters and both said they’ll have to research the information and will call me back (it’s been 4 day and no call yet). This would be my first towing experience and I’m trying to be as safe as possible. Thanks in advance.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
You will be ok, as the 2500 is up to the task. If, you want an extra margin of safety, rear air bags with individual lines would help. I upgraded the tires on mine when I had it as the stockers were load rated at 3640. I was towing a 39’ cedar creek with pin weight right at 3100, with a payload rating of 2230ish On the 2500. My hitch was a demco slider with puck adapter, which ate up about 300#. I had Firestone red label 7500 bags with wireless compressor running nitto ridge grapplers if memory serves me 285/75-18 at 4080# rating. Right or wrong, it’s what I had, so I used it and was sure footed. I have since upgraded to a 3500drw because I got a smokin deal.

onebatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have worked for an rv dealer for 10 years and you will be fine

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You will be over your payload by a reasonable ammount, and the dealer is full of it, passengers, fuel, hitch, cargo etc are NOT already counted in. Fill the truck up, put your family in it, put the 5th wheel hitch in, any cargo you plan to carry in the truck and weight the rig at a truck scale. Deduct the curb weight and you will know how much payload you have used up. My bet is fueled with family loaded you will weigh about 8,900 to 9,000 pounds, not including any cargo in the truck, meaning your remaining payload on a 10,000 GVW truck is 1,000 to 1,100 pounds. My 2500 gas job, with winch,canopy and me scales at 8,200 so 3/4 ton diesels for pulling are not a great idea in my mind. I much prefer gas motor in a 2,500, as the diesel is a full 1,000 pounds heavier. If going diesel step up to the one ton.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You will be over your payload by a reasonable ammount, and the dealer is full of it, passengers, fuel, hitch, cargo etc are NOT already counted in. Fill the truck up, put your family in it, put the 5th wheel hitch in, any cargo you plan to carry in the truck and weight the rig at a truck scale. Deduct the curb weight and you will know how much payload you have used up. My bet is fueled with family loaded you will weigh about 8,900 to 9,000 pounds, not including any cargo in the truck, meaning your remaining payload on a 10,000 GVW truck is 1,000 to 1,100 pounds. My 2500 gas job, with winch,canopy and me scales at 8,200 so 3/4 ton diesels for pulling are not a great idea in my mind. I much prefer gas motor in a 2,500, as the diesel is a full 1,000 pounds heavier. If going diesel step up to the one ton.

A full tank of fuel is included in your rated payload; so if your payload sticker says 2000 pounds, that means that when you have a full tank of fuel, you can put 2000 pounds of trailer, hitch, cargo, and passengers in the truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
A full tank of fuel is included in your rated payload; so if your payload sticker says 2000 pounds, that means that when you have a full tank of fuel, you can put 2000 pounds of trailer, hitch, cargo, and passengers in the truck.
Thanks, learned something. Here in Canada that isn't the case so didn't know it was different in the States. I do know mine scaled quite a bit heavier than I had expected it to given I knew the weights of the added accessories.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Hello everyone! I have a 2021 ram 2500 laramie 4x4 with the 6.7 Cummins. It has a payload capacity of 1987 lbs, GAWR front 6000 lbs, GAWR REAR 6040 lbs, R rated tires, and the 5th wheel prep package. We are looking to purchase a keystone Sprinter 31MB that weights 9500 lbs dry with a pin weight of 1715 lbs. My family would roughly be 350 lbs, the hitch 250 lbs, and maybe 300 lbs in cargo. The RV dealership says that I should have no problem and to not worry about the payload numbers since occupants and cargo is already taken into account and will not count agains my total payload. I‘ve been doing my researching online and I can’t seem to find a straight answer. I contacted the dealer where I purchase the truck and RAM’s headquarters and both said they’ll have to research the information and will call me back (it’s been 4 day and no call yet). This would be my first towing experience and I’m trying to be as safe as possible. Thanks in advance.
You will be over on payload and gross combined weight rating.....might want to look at a lighter 5th wheel.....Grand Design has their "half ton" towable 5th wheels which have lower pin weights than what you are looking at.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
If that’s what you have, hook it up and go. You’ll be surprised how well it does. You’ll probably be hard pressed to know that sprinter is back there......enjoy.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
You'll be over payload by a lot.

RV dealers don't care about you, your family, your truck, legalities, nothing. They care about making a sale. Once you leave the lot you're on your own.
Very true. If you are in an accident, even if it is not your fault, you put yourself at risk. I would not do it.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The very first important thing in my mind is to be AWARE of what you're doing. You seem to be.

As an outsider I think you'll do well with the setup at which you're looking, regardless of the exact legality

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks, learned something. Here in Canada that isn't the case so didn't know it was different in the States. I do know mine scaled quite a bit heavier than I had expected it to given I knew the weights of the added accessories.

It's the case here in Canada too. Payload is calculated, payload = GVWR - Curb Weight. Curb Weight includes a full tank of gas (and full fluids elsewhere too like oil, even your windshield wiper fluid).

If you find two identical Rams except for one has the 33 gallon tank and the other has the 26, the 33 gallon tank truck will have less payload because its rated to carry more fuel.

Keasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few things to help you get closer to your trucks weight limit.
First why such a heavy hitch ?
I gave a 15 3500 my trailer dry weight is 11900. And I am using a Andersen hitch weights only 35 lbs. And is very smooth on the road no cucking like adapter hitches. I have about 5500 to 7000 miles towing and would buy another.
Oh and only takes 15 minutes to remove and hang on your garage wall.

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
make sure you don’t go over the load rating for your tires. In the hot shot business we registered for the tire rating. DOT would check tire ratings as we could register the truck trailer as much as you were willing to pay.
Always ran Firestone Airbags for years. Loved them.

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
Laraime has the WORST payload of the RAM's the options added take away from the cargo capacity is what I have been told...Yes I too own a LARAIME, wish I would have run the cargo numbers first, might be in a FORD, or GMC... I agree with most of the above statements, the RAM can handle it but you will be over loaded per the paper work of the truck. I have a Chaparral Lite 5th wheel and know I am pushing the 2,000 lbs payload. Don't understand their thinking except it's a legal thing and DOT thing to keep them out of the courts. Good traveling with your RV, many smiles with the miles.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9

19020lbs if a laramie 4x4 and 6.3ft bed.
8ft bed is 17300
Mega, 6.3 bed is 16460.
Most rv dealers, at least the one I go to already know what truck does what. Camping world is good.
Trailer life is more comprehensive. https://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Last edited:

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Yes you will be over load,
An ever one in a 5 th wheel is
Over load who as a diesel,
The problem is truck as Gross vehicle weight of 10.000 lbs and it weighs
8000 lbs, but rear axle is rate to 6500 lbs an front? 5500 or 6000 ? Lbs , so it should be rate like 12000 lbs, but is this not call a 3/4 ton,
I had friends pull lot more than
9000 lbs 5th wheel w 3/4 ton,

Just load your trailer w most of the weight, keep tires pump to 80 psi
On back , driving about 60~65 mph
Still you have few Thousand miles
Experience, don’t over worry about it,

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
A few more things to consider. I finally loaded up my 2018 3500 and went to the scales with my 35 ft Fifth wheel. I had added up all the additional weight and thought I was good but when weighed I was 220 lbs over my rear axle rating (7,220 lbs, have a 7,000 lb axle) but good on the front axle (5080 lbs, has a 6,000 lb axle) and tires were good rated at 3,640 lbs ea. This also put me over my GVWR by 500 lbs. I then made a rack off rear of fifth wheel, relocated the generator that was in front compartment of RV to rear rack as well as the gas cans that were in bed of truck, moved the ice chest and other items from bed of truck to inside RV behind axle and weighed it again. I am now at 6860 lbs at rear and 5260 at front (still 320 lbs over GVWR of 11,800 lbs but good on both axles). I then realized my 90 gal fresh water tank (that was not filled during weighing) is located behind the rear axles of my RV. I filled the tank (adding approx 700 lbs to the trailer weight) trailer now weighed approx 15,000 lbs (truck rated to pull 24,646 lbs) but got my GVWR under the rating. Just get creative and redistribute the weight.

Additional info: 2018 Ram 3500 HO Diesel rated (by vin) Towing of 24,646 lbs and Payload of 3.860 lbs, Fifth Wheel Dry weight 12,400 lbs with hitch weight of 2,600 lbs.
when weighed had full tank of gas, myself, wife, dog and other misc in truck.

Last edited: