Infamous #3 Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1657ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to the forum. Have read a lot of threads in the last couple days on the #3 misfire.
i have a 2016 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab with 208k miles (all stock other than small lift and bigger Toyo M/Ts) and got the #3 cylinder misfire. Of course suspected coil/plugs. Changed them, still misfiring. Moved new coil to #1 cylinder, still misfiring. Last night decided to pull the valve cover hoping for a broke valve spring. Did not find what I was hoping for, instead after pulling fuel pump fuse to spin engine over watched the travel of the intake pushrod on #3 compared to the other intake valves and observed what I was hoping (like many others i assume) not to see, the travel was a lot less on #3. So I guess i have the wiped lobe from a lifter roller failure. Got more miles than a lot of people, so i guess that was good.
The confusing part is, I purchased the truck with 50k and have never seen the ECO light until this issue with the misfire began. I had a 13 ram 1500 5.7 prior and saw the light daily traveling to and from work and assumed this truck didn't have it.

Any ideas on why it would show up 160k miles later when the misfire began?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ECO light has noting to do with MDS. You can turn it on and off from your clusters menu

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many Ram owners have no any type of warning,till it happens, misfire,rough idling, very noisy tick etc.

OP
OP

1657ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. My local dealer has the cam and liftersin stock. A bit of sticker shock on oem lifters, $457 for the cam seems fair. $1034 for complete set of lifters. That was a little shocking. Truck been paid off about 8 months, go figure. Still a lot cheaper than another truck. Just a little leary about putting $2k in lifters/cam with 208k miles on the rest of the engine

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From reading this site, I don't see many complaints on the hemi outside of the cam and lifters. Anything could happen at 200k plus but even with that mileage it's worth more than the parts cost for sure.

OP
OP

1657ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my truck back yesterday from the shop. Decided to go with a Jasper replacement engine. After putting roughly 100 miles on it, I am thinking it had lost some power a little while before the indications of the cam/lifter issue. Or maybe could have getting back in it from tge borrowed 2.2l s10 with 405k. Lol. Either way fells good to be back in my ram

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look up lubrication strategies and filtration as well on ram forum. Hard to complain about an engine that has served you well, but maybe next time you wont be as lucky. If you don't want to run a high performance oil, get some HD size lubegard biotech and add 1/2 a bottle with each oil change. Boosts cam and lifter protection specifically, anything with perpendicular forces. Even though the cam does not, it is dependent on lifters that do, this is what moly is for. Look up high moly oils, latest is valvoline EP but there are some others.