Installing a 2013 3rd brake light camera on 2012 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKNMUD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Engine
6.7 DIESEL
Rocknmud, will you run the CHMSL camera outputs to the tail gate camera harness inputs?

Yes. My though was to remove harness from tailgate, mount tailgate connector under truck. Make harness longer to reach top of cap.
I am hoping the truck computer thinks it is the tailgate camara and works as it does now.
As for the cargo light working that would be nice but I assume I would need to disconect original and run to CHMSL. Or do you think both cargo lights could be on with no issue?

biwanow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dually Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks 2500Ram, appreciate your effort in helping me.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Well they finally listed the harness and pics on the customtronix website. It can be yours for on 65.00 euro plus shipping and vat? Consider that it will cost you about 40.00 usd to buy a pigtail, cable, RCA connector, solder splices, shrinktube etc to build your own.

Harness fot OEM CHMSL.jpg

Harness fot OEM CHMSL 2.jpg

Harness fot OEM CHMSL 3.jpg

OEM cam harness to RCA video 12V All 2013 – up Chrysler cars | Customtronix

They are also selling the oem CHMSL for 290.00 euro now that would be nuts, when you can buy them from online retailers south of 200.00 US.

Factory /OEM, lamp/Cam cabinet All 2013 – up Chrysler cars | Customtronix

Last edited:

Lifted Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
I can turn on my rear camera anytime as well but the power cuts out over 10mph, if I leave it on, as soon as I slow to under 10mph it powers back on. 2014 Ram w/ 8.4 avn radio
Thanks again, love the write up

I am having the same issue. My 2016 2500 Outdoorsman was not equipped with a tailgate cam, dealer installed one with the kit from Mopar. Camera works in reverse, camera works in drive under 8mph (when forced (Controls -> rear camera) once I get over 8mph screen goes blue. After 10sec passes the blue screen returns to radio screen. Went to 3 dealers, and 6 phone calls with Ram Cares.
I'm told that this is the way it is "supposed to" operate (with a blue screen). Apparently if my truck had come with the cargo cam option i'd be fine. But I don't have a cargo cam so the dealer installed kit "kinda works" like factory. (if I ignore the blue screen issue)
Myself being a believer in common sense I told the dealer " Okay, so this is easy, lets just wire up a cargo cam" WRONG! apparently you cannot buy the harness, and the dealer to my knowledge states that even if I made a harness and pinned it to the cargo cam pins: 21,22, & 23 it still wouldn't work because the truck didn't come with it and the radio is missing a code to enable the "new camera"??

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am having the same issue. My 2016 2500 Outdoorsman was not equipped with a tailgate cam, dealer installed one with the kit from Mopar. Camera works in reverse, camera works in drive under 8mph (when forced (Controls -> rear camera) once I get over 8mph screen goes blue. After 10sec passes the blue screen returns to radio screen. Went to 3 dealers, and 6 phone calls with Ram Cares.
I'm told that this is the way it is "supposed to" operate (with a blue screen). Apparently if my truck had come with the cargo cam option i'd be fine. But I don't have a cargo cam so the dealer installed kit "kinda works" like factory. (if I ignore the blue screen issue)
Myself being a believer in common sense I told the dealer " Okay, so this is easy, lets just wire up a cargo cam" WRONG! apparently you cannot buy the harness, and the dealer to my knowledge states that even if I made a harness and pinned it to the cargo cam pins: 21,22, & 23 it still wouldn't work because the truck didn't come with it and the radio is missing a code to enable the "new camera"??
This is normal operation.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is normal operation.

Correct. Page 211 of the 2016 Owner's Manual. Even though the 2016 trucks have a camera button, the camera still shuts off once you've gone over 8mph for over 10 seconds.

Lifted Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
Correct. Page 211 of the 2016 Owner's Manual. Even though the 2016 trucks have a camera button, the camera still shuts off once you've gone over 8mph for over 10 seconds.

I probably would have passed on my truck If I had known. Sales people:flipthebird:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm of the mindset that this could be bypassed if you change the power supply for the camera.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm of the mindset that this could be bypassed if you change the power supply for the camera.

The camera has power any time the key is on. Whether it sends video or not depends on the LIN bus messages. If you disconnect the LIN bus it will send video all the time, but you lose the gridlines. My plan is to use a relay to have it so the LIN bus line is only connected when in reverse.

What I don't yet know is if the display shuts off because it stops getting a signal from the camera, or if it has its own timer and will switch off even if the camera is still on. I know the Customtronix will stay on until you dismiss it. I'll find out about factory soon.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The camera has power any time the key is on. Whether it sends video or not depends on the LIN bus messages. If you disconnect the LIN bus it will send video all the time, but you lose the gridlines. My plan is to use a relay to have it so the LIN bus line is only connected when in reverse.

What I don't yet know is if the display shuts off because it stops getting a signal from the camera, or if it has its own timer and will switch off even if the camera is still on. I know the Customtronix will stay on until you dismiss it. I'll find out about factory soon.
Thanks, I knew it was something along these lines...that makes sense.

Lifted Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
Ram should really just make a plug and play kit (not just for the tailgate/Reverse Cam) but a kit including the cargo and tailgate. The current set up with only the backup cam and blue screen is at best a HACK, and not a proper upgrade. Why is this such a problem for them, don't they know that even if it was offered as a $500 kit we would all most likely buy it.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ram should really just make a plug and play kit (not just for the tailgate/Reverse Cam) but a kit including the cargo and tailgate. The current set up with only the backup cam and blue screen is at best a HACK, and not a proper upgrade. Why is this such a problem for them, don't they know that even if it was offered as a $500 kit we would all most likely buy it.
Their concern is bumping you up to the higher trim level, not getting you everything you want at a lower price.

There design is specific to making these things difficult even though it could be changed with minimal effort on their part.

They'll leave this to the aftermarket. Eventually, it'll be standard equipment once the market demands it and they'll lose money if they don't.

Danno123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I have installed to Mopar led Chmsl in my 2010 2500 Laramie. I don't have the flickering brake light but I do have the flickering cargo light. Is anyone else having this issue?

I have tried looking at the pin out on the 4 wire connector in order to put a resistor in line. I cannot figure out the 2 wires needed to power the cargo lamp. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45