Integrated trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently installed the integrated trailer brake controller on my 2010 Ram 1500. I had the controller added to the BCM on Tuesday at the dealer. Took it home, hooked it up to the trailer and left it until Thursday morning. There was a message of service brake controller and the truck would not start until I unplugged the controller, any thoughts? I forgot to add that the controller worked until I had it added to the BCM

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Watching this as I'll be adding mine this weekend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

zeb handeland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm scheduled for one to be added in a couple of weeks. I'm renting a 27ft TT for a camping trip. Thought it would be good to have installed. 268 for the part 75 to flash it in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm scheduled for one to be added in a couple of weeks. I'm renting a 27ft TT for a camping trip. Thought it would be good to have installed. 268 for the part 75 to flash it in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you haven't bought it yet you can order online 100 cheaper than that and install is only 30 or so minutes just food for thought

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I would use an after market controller and save a lot of money. They plug in under your dash and all you need to do is pick a spot to mount it.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The oem one is super easy to install fyi and keeps everything clean looking

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you tow anything heavier that 10K, the stock IBC isnt all that great. The after market P3 is a much better unit by far.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with the in IBC and find nothing bad about it.
Also have a P3 and can say the same.
If I had neither I would go with the IBC because of the set up ease switching between multiple trailers.
On the other hand the P3 portability comes in handy when you share it between different tow vehicles. I have 1 P3 and 3 mounting brackets.

Valkyrie0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn CC
Engine
I decided to go with the OE unit over the P3 because of the system integration of the OE. Because of my full center console and need to program I am buying the unit on Ebay and going to have the dealer install and program- I'll ask for a flash update too. They charge $170 to install which I felt is a pretty good deal when it includes programming.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I recently installed the integrated trailer brake controller on my 2010 Ram 1500. I had the controller added to the BCM on Tuesday at the dealer. Took it home, hooked it up to the trailer and left it until Thursday morning. There was a message of service brake controller and the truck would not start until I unplugged the controller, any thoughts? I forgot to add that the controller worked until I had it added to the BCM

Getting back to Lee's original question, it sounds like your BCM got a bad flash. I would say to pull the connections from the brake controller and take the whole mess back to your dealer and get them to re-flash the BCM.

I don't know why people give the Mopar brake controller a bad name, I think a lot of people just don't know how to set one up! I have been towing trailers for as long as I have been driving and have used just about every style of brake controller made. NONE of them are perfect. I had a '98 RAM 2500 and have '12 RAM 2500, both with the OEM brake controller, both of them I purchased off of eBay and installed myself. The '98 just worked out of the box, the '12 I drove for over a year before having the dealer flash the BCM. They work fine, flashed or not.

Just stick a trailer on the ass end of the truck and get the horses running.

dgjackson40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Did you get issue resolved? I have that message on my 2012 2500 which had factory controller on it when I bought it 6 years ago. Been towing with no issues until now.