Interested in the 6.4, which years?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Every offering in the truck market is competitive and capable of doing what they are rated to do in their respective classes. Sure, some may do it faster or work less to accomplish the same task, but empirical data from a bunch of challenges and comparisons only tell a small portion of the story. What I'm getting at, is that personal preference based on aesthetics, brand loyalty and name recognition are probably much bigger factors in the decision making process than who ran the best time up the Ike Gauntlet.

I do think capabilities, performance(loaded and unloaded), and durability matter to a lot of people as well especially the higher class of truck you go. After all, most people move up from a half ton class to a three quarter ton class because of its greater capabilities. Most people pay to upgrade from a 5.7L to a 6.4L because of the extra performance. Of course everybody wants their trucks to be durable and last long.

The one thing I do not get is brand loyalty. It is not like the CEO or top brass of Ram or any brand gives two shnits about anyone unless they buy their product. I can guarantee that they will never be as loyal to their customers as some fan boys I have seen that are loyal to their products. For me, I am loyal to my needs and wants first over any brand.

Last edited:

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Looking at how popular trucks have become as family vehicles, it's no wonder fuel economy and luxury comforts have become more important than solid construction and utilitarian features. I for one couldn't care less about navigation, leather and MPG's, but lockers, a winch and a nice stance get my attention. I'm kinda old school too, and although I believe in what today's half tons can do, I think of them more as SUV's with beds. I guess that's why I have a 3/4 ton...

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I do think capabilities, performance(loaded and unloaded), and durability matter to a lot of people as well especially the higher class of truck you go. After all, most people move up from a half ton to a three quarter ton because of its greater capabilities. Most people pay to upgrade from a 5.7L to a 6.4L because of the extra performance. Of course everybody wants their trucks to be durable and last long.

The one thing I do not get is brand loyalty. It is not like the CEO or top brass of Ram or any brand gives two shnits about anyone unless they buy their product. I can guarantee that they will never be as loyal to their customers as some fan boys I have seen that are loyal to their products. For me, I am loyal to my needs and wants first over any brand.

Brand loyalty drives a lot of truck sales in America, my friend. I'm not including fan boys in this conversation because that's just a ton of overzealous pride laced with a lack of objectivity and bias! However, being loyal to a brand because you trust it, believe in it or just like the way it looks is something different... and I can respect that.

I've owned a Ford, Chevy and Nissan truck before I got my first Ram. Each one was a great truck in it's own right. They all had their strengths and weaknesses too. When I decided to buy my last truck, I went with the PW. Not so much because I needed the off-road capability, but simply because I've wanted one for ten years!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Looking at how popular trucks have become as family vehicles, it's no wonder fuel economy and luxury comforts have become more important than solid construction and utilitarian features. I for one couldn't care less about navigation, leather and MPG's, but lockers, a winch and a nice stance get my attention. I'm kinda old school too, and although I believe in what today's half tons can do, I think of them more as SUV's with beds. I guess that's why I have a 3/4 ton...

I forgot where I read it from, but I remember an article about Ram doing a survey on what is most important to truck buyers from each truck class. If my memory serves me correctly comfort, fuel economy, and performance were most important to half ton buyers while capability, dependability, and durability were post important to HD truck buyers.

Last edited:

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I forgot where I read it from, but I remember an article about Ram doing a survey one what is most important to certain class of truck buyers. If my memory serves me correctly comfort, fuel economy, and performance were most important to half ton buyers while capability, dependability, and durability were post important to HD truck buyers.

I would agree with this... It paints a pretty accurate description of the typical buyer in each class. I think it also supports the notion that most people don't cross-shop classes. It's not realistic to compare comfort, fuel economy and performance of trucks that have a 3,000 lb difference in GVWR with the same engine (think Ram 1500 & 2500 w/5.7 HEMI).

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I would agree with this... It paints a pretty accurate description of the typical buyer in each class. I think it also supports the notion that most people don't cross-shop classes. It's not realistic to compare comfort, fuel economy and performance of trucks that have a 3,000 lb difference in GVWR with the same engine (think Ram 1500 & 2500 w/5.7 HEMI).

Even the "same engine" is different between classes. The 5.7 in my '11 2500 never had egr or mds from factory like the half tons do.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I guess we buy our trucks for two totally different purposes. I bought my 2011 F150 HD more for its capabilities and performance both loaded and unloaded since I used it is a truck rather than an oversized grocery getter sedan with a bed. So stuff like auto dimming high beams was no where near on the top of my list of importance. Hell, I have auto dimming on my current 2500 and I deactivated it after the first time using it. Not only because I am not lazy and can easily hit a dimmer switch, but also because it kept my high beams off even when there no traffic because the camera thought that reflective signed was oncoming traffic. The only reason why I got it was because it came with the package that I wanted. And yes, if you google full size half ton trucks that retain their value more the F150 will be ahead of the 1500 in just about every list you will find from NADA to Kelly Blue Book. When it comes to 3/4 tons, the Ram 2500 is usually at the top of the list for holding its resale.

As far as price, that depends on the dealership and what incentives are for the month. I myself don't shop solely on price and would rather save to get what I want if I saw the value in it, but I understand that not all people are like me. To me, if a truck is worth more and I really want it then I will wait and save a few more months(or years) to get it instead of settling for a cheaper truck. It is not about the price difference, but rather what I want.

So as I said earlier in the department of better loaded and unloaded performance, better fuel economy loaded and unloaded, higher safety rating, higher payload capacity, higher tow rating, and better deprecation, the 3.5L Ecoboost F150 does give you a real gain than a comparable 1500. Don't believe me? Check for yourself--- Texas Truck Showdown 2016: Max Towing

can't say I agree with any thing you said in this post! But its America! Read and think what you want! Its great!':crazy:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a comment on loyalty. Being witness to the "peak" Foreign invasion of the USA auto industry in life I can say a few things that warrants some thought as to where it came from. Grandfathers,Father, Father-in-law always stressed buy American Made every thing. Do not feed the the Foreign Mkts. as they will come with a cheaper price and product to lure you away from your own then raise the prices for a cheaper product after pulling our product down. So loyalty from that prospective has a whole new meaning to an old guy like me...lol. Its too late we never listened to the wisdom :( Now we are witness too (if your over 45) the Downgrading of America who like G.M. thought we could not ever fall from the top this hard. Its not possible to buy any car 100 % American made in the Auto industry or any other industry in America manufacturing sectors. Its not impossible to rebound of course but its going to take some time. This all is self inflicted to us. We have from many aspects allowed it to be done to us by us. Loyalty that we do not understand much today was passed down to us. Some of us still try to do it,but its in vain so to speak with our off springs not on par with it at all. Not saying its right or wrong just where it originated from from my viewpoint. Sorry to go off the 6.4 subject.

Really came on the thread to verify the bad rumor I had herd of the wrist pin issue. it looks like it was real and hopefully resolved on such great trucks.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just a comment on loyalty. Being witness to the "peak" Foreign invasion of the USA auto industry in life I can say a few things that warrants some thought as to where it came from. Grandfathers,Father, Father-in-law always stressed buy American Made every thing. Do not feed the the Foreign Mkts. as they will come with a cheaper price and product to lure you away from your own then raise the prices for a cheaper product after pulling our product down. So loyalty from that prospective has a whole new meaning to an old guy like me...lol. Its too late we never listened to the wisdom :( Now we are witness too (if your over 45) the Downgrading of America who like G.M. thought we could not ever fall from the top this hard. Its not possible to buy any car 100 % American made in the Auto industry or any other industry in America manufacturing sectors. Its not impossible to rebound of course but its going to take some time. This all is self inflicted to us. We have from many aspects allowed it to be done to us by us. Loyalty that we do not understand much today was passed down to us. Some of us still try to do it,but its in vain so to speak with our off springs not on par with it at all. Not saying its right or wrong just where it originated from from my viewpoint. Sorry to go off the 6.4 subject.

Really came on the thread to verify the bad rumor I had herd of the wrist pin issue. it looks like it was real and hopefully resolved on such great trucks.

Well that is a little hypocritical. You are complaining about the price of the F150 yet it is majorly due to the fact that it is the most American made and assembled truck out of the big three's half tons. In fact, the F150 used to be at number one on the list of most American made vehicles tied with the Corvette back in the 2011-2014 year models you are talking about, but it has dropped to 3rd place among all vehicles due to having to buy the aluminum overseas. However they are still considerably higher than the Ram 1500 which is 14th among all cars and trucks and third in half ton trucks right behind the Tundra.

It is no real concern to me where Ram sits on that pole, but if you are going to preach about buying American yet complain that the F150 is too expensive(because it has more American content) over the Ram 1500 that is less American made then that is a bit hypocritical.

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
What is american made? If your going off the domestic parts content that is listed on the window sticker, ask yourself when did Canada become part of America? The domestic parts content lists includes Canada items as if they are American items. Its all a wash and doesn't hold any weight.

"Each new passenger motor vehicle must be labeled with the following six items of information:

1. The percentage U.S./Canadian equipment (parts) content;

2. The names of any countries other than the U.S. and Canada which individually contribute 15 percent or more of the equipment content, and the percentage content for each such country (a maximum of two countries);

3. The final assembly point by city and state (where appropriate), and country;

4. The country of origin of the engine;

5. The country of origin of the transmission; and

6. A statement which explains that parts content does not include final assembly (except the engine and transmission), distribution, or other non-parts costs."

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
This is the same index that auto websites like Vcentric and Cars.com/Pickuptrucks.com pull their American made data from.

2015 American made auto index

It takes in account a multitude of dynamics including whether the profit margin goes overseas as well as the AALA percentage number.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that is a little hypocritical. You are complaining about the price of the F150 yet it is majorly due to the fact that it is the most American made and assembled truck out of the big three's half tons. In fact, the F150 used to be at number one on the list of most American made vehicles tied with the Corvette back in the 2011-2014 year models you are talking about, but it has dropped to 3rd place among all vehicles due to having to buy the aluminum overseas. However they are still considerably higher than the Ram 1500 which is 14th among all cars and trucks and third in half ton trucks right behind the Tundra.

It is no real concern to me where Ram sits on that pole, but if you are going to preach about buying American yet complain that the F150 is too expensive(because it has more American content) over the Ram 1500 that is less American made then that is a bit hypocritical.

I never made any complaint about price! Go back read it again. I said I bought a truck that had more on it for 10000 cheaper with proof . You said I was full of it. You Called my a truck un- real small truck that gets groceries. You made claim I bought what was cheap due to affordability. Enough of your troll crap!! i'm going do what I do when a mule kicks me in the ****. Consider the source and walk away!! Cya dont want be ya!

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
This is the same index that auto websites like Vcentric and Cars.com/Pickuptrucks.com pull their American made data from.

2015 American made auto index

It takes in account a multitude of dynamics including whether the profit margin goes overseas as well as the AALA percentage number.

The America/Canada parts index? Did we merge while I was asleep? WTF toss Mexico in there while they are at it.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I never made any complaint about price! Go back read it again. I said I bought a truck that had more on it for 10000 cheaper with proof . You said I was full of it. You Called my a truck un- real small truck that gets groceries. You made claim I bought what was cheap due to affordability. Enough of your troll crap!! i'm going do what I do when a mule kicks me in the ****. Consider the source and walk away!! Cya dont want be ya!

Well, saying you bought a truck with more options for $10k less sounds like a price point purchase.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Your exact words were.....

But you have to pay $10000 more for the Ford! With no real gain over the Ram.

So yes, you did complain that you would have had to spend $10k more on the F150 with more American made content over a Ram 1500 with less American made content and is also owned by a foreign company. Then you went on about how others should not buy from foreign markets even though it is cheaper. So having more American parts and having more money going back to the US is a not real gain to you even after you just told others they should buy more American? To me that is a bit hypocritical.

Also, remember, you started this little debate by quoting something I said over 20 pages and 12 days ago so how am I the one being the troll?

To me, I don't care that the Ram HD's are made in Mexico. At least the money is not going to unions that will just use it to get a certain union friendly party elected and maybe having jobs down there will keep some from having to come over here illegally to find work.

Last edited:

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Seems like every time I check back on this forum it appears that one or two potentially interesting threads devolve into ST arguing minutiae with someone normally following the pattern of "he said/he said"........makes it hard to pull any useful content out of this now 26 pages of grab assing and personal man ********......

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Seems like every time I check back on this forum it appears that one or two potentially interesting threads devolve into ST arguing minutiae with someone normally following the pattern of "he said/he said"........makes it hard to pull any useful content out of this now 26 pages of grab assing and personal man ********......

Now you done f'd up. Threads die once southtexan has the last word. Now he's going to have to post again. Thanks a lot :naughty:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My Apology. I'm Out. Don't know why I checked the rumor out to start with I don't own a 6.4.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I never understood the posts that take up space ******** about other people posts that take up space ********? It's kind of an oxymoron.