Intermittent trouble code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alaraine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I Could use some help on this one. I thought I had fixed it, my truck has been throwing a PO441 trouble code intermittently. it came back two days ago and yesterday when I went to buy groceries it went away again. I reckon it'll be back before too long. Autozone pulled the code for me and they said (it is never) its the gas cap. well my gas cap is two months old so there's no way. the other possibility is the evap purge solenoid. but it seems to me if the solenoid had failed the code would not be intermittent. any ideas? I don't want to just throw parts at the problem and hope something sticks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would suspect the gas cap, common issue, even when new.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What year model motor. Please include the truck info when posting it’ll make it easier for us to help you

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What year model motor. Please include the truck info when posting it’ll make it easier for us to help you

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
That info is quite helpful.

P0441 is Evap purge system performance. It’s not a leak so a gas cap isn’t a possible cause. Could be a failed purge solenoid,broken or kinked evap line, fuel tank pressure sensor, electrical issue etc.

Without doing some diag you’re just guessing. In my experience I’ve replaced quite a few fuel tank pressure sensors for this issue.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had this code come up here and there over the last few years. I replaced the purge solenoid and its come back twice since then but goes away on its own. So @Tach_tech I'm assuming the next step would be the fuel tank pressure sensor? How bad a job is that to do?

OP
OP
Alaraine

Alaraine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
truck info -2014, Ram Tradsmesn V6 3.6 VVT. got about 98k miles on it. 8spd automatic 4wd.

I'm doing an oil change this weekend so ill get under and check hoses and lines.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I dunno if I’d say it’s the next step but it’s one of the more common failures. First step is the diagnosis, but without scan tools and certain tools it’s tricky.

It’s not to bad to do, it’s attached to the vent line near the top of the filler tube.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Evaporative Purge Monitor tests the integrity of the hoses/tube between the throttle body/intake and the fuel tank.

If the PCM detects that the purge vapor ratio and the ESIM switch closed ratio are below a calculated value, the PCM commands the purge solenoid to flow at a specified rate to update the purge vapor ratio. If the ratio remains below a specified value, a one trip failure is recorded. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

As Tach_tech mentioned the most likely cause is the fuel tank pressure sensor or connection. But there are a bunch of other things that can cause this.