Is my timing off? Limp Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Need some help guys. I recently replaced my cam with a No Tune Required Cam with the MDS Plugs from Modern Muscle. Everything went smooth and no issues. However, on first start it clanked really loud like metal hitting something and died. Tried starting it and it fired right up with some noise that went away once it warmed up. I realized soon after that my valve cover gasket had fallen off in one corner and was leaking oil. After replacing that it was running good, for like 30 miles. Now i cant get it to stay out of limp mode. I had a dealership do Relearn on it and I guess it was struggling so it took them a couple times before they said it was good. I have codes P0344, P1DD2, and U1424. The cam sensor was new, but I replaced it anyway just to be sure, the crank sensor is also new. Doing some research it looks like I might have jumped my timing belt or be off by a tooth or two? Or maybe a PCM? Need urgent advice before I tear into it or order a new PCM. TIA.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Need some help guys. I recently replaced my cam with a No Tune Required Cam with the MDS Plugs from Modern Muscle. Everything went smooth and no issues. However, on first start it clanked really loud like metal hitting something and died. Tried starting it and it fired right up with some noise that went away once it warmed up. I realized soon after that my valve cover gasket had fallen off in one corner and was leaking oil. After replacing that it was running good, for like 30 miles. Now i cant get it to stay out of limp mode. I had a dealership do Relearn on it and I guess it was struggling so it took them a couple times before they said it was good. I have codes P0344, P1DD2, and U1424. The cam sensor was new, but I replaced it anyway just to be sure, the crank sensor is also new. Doing some research it looks like I might have jumped my timing belt or be off by a tooth or two? Or maybe a PCM? Need urgent advice before I tear into it or order a new PCM. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 6

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am sure others will chime in but dont order a pcm its almost never the pcm it is possible timing is off or possibly cam phaser bad or something? I am on mobile rn so cant look up much.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you. Thats where I was getting to was the timing being off or bad phaser. So much information on this site that I stumble upon more info the farther I go! Thanks again.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure why it ended up posted twice on this thread. Side note, does anyone know what a bad phaser sounds like? Trying to figure out how to know if it is bad besides my timing possibly being off.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think this thread may help determine if you did the timing correctly:

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
crash68 I did read over that forum. I think I do have it out of time, but now Im concerned on if my phaser could be bad? Not sure how to know and dont wanna do this again lol. Also, when I do this, if I replaced my oil pump with the hellcat one is there anything more I would need to tune other than adjusting the idle to a higher range, right now it sits steady at like 590-610.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if you did mess up timing, combined with the metal on metal sound, i'd be very concerned that you bent a valve.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
the metal sound is gone, that was just everything at first since it was all new, it went away pretty quick once the engine was warm. normal noises after a swap with new lifters

icemanch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Were you able to get this worked out? Running into a similar problem. Trying to figure out if VVT phaser is bad as I don't want to pull the timing cover off twice.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
icemanch I just made a new post, hoepfully it helps I guess lol.