JBA Long Tube Headers!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That sucks,

Do you think all your fitment issues were all due to the Ram Runner setup?
Is yours a 2WD or 4WD? (mines a 4x4)

I have my JBA LT's still in the box and have been thinking about selling them.
Mine are silver ceramic coated so if they need to be modified with a BFH to fit,
the coating will be destroyed.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sucks,

Mine are silver ceramic coated so if they need to be modified with a BFH to fit,

Still waiting on your reducers from "Dustin" so you can install? LOL Seriously though, I would of thought you would of had them installed by now.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Still waiting on your reducers from "Dustin" so you can install? LOL Seriously though, I would of thought you would of had them installed by now.

Me too :roflsquared:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That sucks,

If you decide to sell these let me know. I just contacted Matt to inquire about a set and mid pipes

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the collector flanges, and new mopar SRT8 gaskets ready to install
But I put everything on hold to get my transmission issues sorted first.
Now that's all done but I've heard JBA has a bolt in mid pipe/ y-pipe setup for their LT's coming out this month (....maybe)

So I'll wait to see what the price is on those.
I'm in no rush to get back to the track anytime soon, too hot.
If the price is right I may jump on that, or just sell the JBA's and go with ARH's

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hahaha yea I didnt see you're in Canada! Im also waiting to see what JBA mids look like. I got quoted 500-600 hundred for install plus custom mids which doesnt seem like a bad deal. I just wish I had a damn garage and my tools, apartment living does blow sometimes...

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just want something I can bolt in myself that will replace my stock setup.
Everything on my truck so far is easy enough to return to stock on my driveway.
"IF" I ever decide its time to trade her in on a new 8speed, I still have all my stock parts.

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 of make her wet liters
Yeah the passenger side issue was all because of the larger shock tower. I had to heat up and hammer the primary in on the first cylinder and take a barrel sander and trim down the tower to get it to fit. I took it through some whoops and quick elevation changes to encourage a little self clearancing. On the driver side though, you will have to remove the shift cable, and re route it and beat in the first cylinder primary to clear the u joint on the steering shaft or else it will hit when you turn left under power and lock your steering up. That wasn't a fun discovery. Everything else tho was easy. Pretty good fit but hell, there's so much room in there now that I can stand on either side of my motor from inside the engine bay.

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I installed JBA shorty headers on my 10' 4x4 two years ago without issue,
...so assumed the LT's would fit without issue too.

5JBA.jpg

6JBA.jpg

I paid extra for Silver Ceramic Coating, So I will send these back if they don't fit!
I refuse to smash the tube to get it to clear the steering with a BFH destroying the coating.

(and I have the larger 1-7/8" primaries)

I'm going to take some careful measurements before I start removing/installing anything,
just looking at the pictures alone tells me I'm going to have an issue just like you mentioned...

006_zps01f794ab.jpg

Anyone else have clearance issues installing these on a 4x4?

Last edited:

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^ This is exactly why I am going the less-powerful and less-headache way of shorties and a custom y pipe attached to my magnaflow. Hopefully you can get it all sorted out, and one day I can actually see the beast out at Castrol :) Im hoping with some more goodies over the next couple months, I can make a couple good runs when it cools off mid-September and improve on my 14.8@99mph.

I was going to msg you a couple questions, but it says you arent accepting PM's currently. Wouldnt mind meeting up in person and getting your opinion on a couple things, if you are ever out cruising on a weekend.

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^ This is exactly why I am going the less-powerful and less-headache way of shorties and a custom y pipe attached to my magnaflow.

Exactly why I'm removing my Shorty headers for LT's
so much time effort and money for absolutely zero results.

...gained absolutely nothing at the track with them, and only 8whp on the dyno at WOT 5700 rpm.

With just a Magnaflow Catback and Y pipe, I was faster (13.89/98.5) on stock manifolds lol
only other mods at the time: Airaid, 84mm TB, Jet 180, 93 tune ...and Drag Radials of course.

I added the Shorty Headers and E-Fan mod and never beat my best NA time
...just a long series of 13.9's and 14.0's until I put the blower on.
That dropped me to low 13.0's, when my trans decided to **** the bed, several times and have not returned since.

My biggest restriction now that the trans issues are resolved are the stock Cats.

Without those and larger 1-7/8's primaries I "should" drop to mid 12's.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly why I'm removing my Shorty headers for LT's
so much time effort and money for absolutely zero results.

...gained absolutely nothing at the track with them, and only 8whp on the dyno at WOT 5700 rpm.

With just a Magnaflow Catback and Y pipe, I was faster (13.89/98.5) on stock manifolds lol
only other mods at the time: Airaid, 84mm TB, Jet 180, 93 tune ...and Drag Radials of course.

I added the Shorty Headers and E-Fan mod and never beat my best NA time
...just a long series of 13.9's and 14.0's until I put the blower on.
That dropped me to low 13.0's, when my trans decided to **** the bed, several times and have not returned since.

My biggest restriction now that the trans issues are resolved are the stock Cats.

Without those and larger 1-7/8's primaries I "should" drop to mid 12's.

Track performance is relative though, wouldn't you agree? Anythign could change from day to day. From humidity, to track conditions, to wind speed and direction. Kinda hard to compare performance from things done not at the same time and day.

As for the dyno, 8rhp gain isn't blockbluster to say the least. I recall back in my Dakota RT days we dyno'd a MBRP install and then a CAI...each mod netted 9+ to the wheels for a total gain of 18+. For shorties to not net more is definitely disappointing.

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Track performance is relative though, wouldn't you agree? Anythign could change from day to day. From humidity, to track conditions, to wind speed and direction. Kinda hard to compare performance from things done not at the same time and day.

As for the dyno, 8rhp gain isn't blockbluster to say the least. I recall back in my Dakota RT days we dyno'd a MBRP install and then a CAI...each mod netted 9+ to the wheels for a total gain of 18+. For shorties to not net more is definitely disappointing.

But I'm a track Rat, made over a hundred passes per season on the same track over the last 5 years since Spring 2010 with the same truck.

I ran the **** out of those shorties well over 100 times at the track, maybe more.
in all conditions, different temps, time of day, even kept track of all my DA corrections at DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com
never did beat my best time from 2011 with fewer mods.

BTW, my best 13.89/98.5 was at 2500' DA and = 13.4/102 corrected
(RCSB 4x4 with 3.55 gears, no weight reduction)

I know Catless LT's will net me more than 25 WHP over stock
For just $100 more than shorties that did next to nothing, and were just as much work to install.

Last edited:

Shaunm59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 of make her wet liters
I just put my magnaflow on tonight and I feel like it got some of my bottom end back and then some. Can definitely tell a difference now with the long tubes and my custom y pipe. I want my truck to be more than a straight line slayer. For my build I need continuous torque and ability to turn 37"s and still roll the tires on pavement. After I regear, I'm making the switch to 37"s and caging it. I can already roll 35"s with 3.55s

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can imagine for the "$100 more" to go up to LT's, you still then have to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed up to match into it. LT's are not a direct bolt on to the factory cats/mids and as far as I know, JBA doesnt make a mid that makes the LT's bolt up. So the cost of a shop to match up the LT's to my catback goes a bit higher than $100.

Now, realizing the drawback of the shorties losing some scavenging ability that the LT's would help with, I think I will notice more of a difference mid/top range which is where I am lacking. CCSB here and from what I have read on other threads, the shorties do give a bit of a kick up there. Im probably never gonna go blower (my cars are the boosted babies), so this is a cost effective bit of extra hp that I can do myself.

OP
OP
BlackRamHemi

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can imagine for the "$100 more" to go up to LT's, you still then have to get the rest of the exhaust fabbed up to match into it. LT's are not a direct bolt on to the factory cats/mids and as far as I know, JBA doesnt make a mid that makes the LT's bolt up. So the cost of a shop to match up the LT's to my catback goes a bit higher than $100.

It would cost about $100 to have my cats cut out and weld the supplied collector flanges to existing pipe. But I want the bolt-in setup JBA has on the bench right now.

^ This is exactly why I am going the less-powerful and less-headache way of shorties and a custom y pipe attached to my magnaflow.

It will still cost you another $200 to replace your stock Y pipe.
(if its done right with mandrel bent SS like mine was)
and then you still have the stock cats as a choke point.

I guess you could get some high flow cats at $200-$300 and another $100-$200 to weld them in...
but now you're very close to a bolt in LT pricing and still no where near the performance.

And Yes JBA is making a mid pipe with Y that's a direct DIY bolt in,
should be released later this month. (yes holding my breath)

I don't know anyone who was satisfied with JBA shorty header performance,
4 guys I know in Edmonton alone removed them after a year for a set of LT's.

If I had to do all over again I would have paid just once and done it right the first time.

JBA shorties may be 1/2 price of LT setup like SW,
but they only deliver 1/4 (or less) of the performance.
:crazy:

I ignored the warnings, ate crow and heard lots of "told ya so's"
Just trying to save others heading down the wrong path.

You don't have to listen, I didn't either. ;)

Last edited: