Jump seat delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '04 is a bare-bones, no-frills base model ST. It's such a base truck that the jump seat doesn't have any storage compartments at all, it's literally just a seat that folds down into an armrest. I have to pull it out to get the passenger seat out so I can figure out why the recline mechanism is jammed and I'm thinking about just leaving the jump seat out after I get the passenger seat fixed. I don't need the extra seating and I could probably find a better use for the space. So I have two questions.

1) Would there be any complications from leaving the seat out? The way cars are wired these days I wouldn't be surprised if the ECM had a coronary if it didn't sense a third seat.

2) Are there any aftermarket consoles that would bolt right in? I could probably get a junkyard console from another more upscale Ram but that might be the priciest option from what I've seen of used parts. I know there are a ton of aftermarket consoles that could be bolted in. But most of them look like ammo cans, or the box an ammo can came in. I'd prefer something that didn't look like it came out of a highschool shop class. I could probably make something... but that would almost certainly conflict with the previous statement.

Almost forgot-- cupholders. I need something with cupholders. I have 44oz of cherry lemonade stuck to the rubber mat because the factory cupholders are more like coasters than holders.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
My '04 is a bare-bones, no-frills base model ST. It's such a base truck that the jump seat doesn't have any storage compartments at all, it's literally just a seat that folds down into an armrest. I have to pull it out to get the passenger seat out so I can figure out why the recline mechanism is jammed and I'm thinking about just leaving the jump seat out after I get the passenger seat fixed. I don't need the extra seating and I could probably find a better use for the space. So I have two questions.

1) Would there be any complications from leaving the seat out? The way cars are wired these days I wouldn't be surprised if the ECM had a coronary if it didn't sense a third seat.

2) Are there any aftermarket consoles that would bolt right in? I could probably get a junkyard console from another more upscale Ram but that might be the priciest option from what I've seen of used parts. I know there are a ton of aftermarket consoles that could be bolted in. But most of them look like ammo cans, or the box an ammo can came in. I'd prefer something that didn't look like it came out of a highschool shop class. I could probably make something... but that would almost certainly conflict with the previous statement.

Almost forgot-- cupholders. I need something with cupholders. I have 44oz of cherry lemonade stuck to the rubber mat because the factory cupholders are more like coasters than holders.

You crack me up Bud.
Get an ice chest that fits the spot with the lid that opens on the end. Make a cupholder adapter that’ll mount to the cooler. 2 birds 1 rock! Cold drank in waiting and one in the cup holder.

- The Blue Mule

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that's entirely too simple. You've got to add LEDs or Bluetooth something or other.

Kidding aside, that's a brilliant solution. I don't really need a cooler, but it's the right size and shape. They usually have textured surfaces that might blend in pretty well with some of that vinyl dye. My wife just asked if it might be possible to ditch the seat but keep the backrest to retain the armrest function. So now I have a rough idea where to start. Thanks.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Lol I was trying to get a rise outta ya. Checking to see how redneck ya are. Lol
My wife calls me king sophisticated redneck. Lol

- The Blue Mule

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Still have my original great condition SLT jump seat/console that I took out for the floor shift/console conversion. Only killer here would be shipping (unless you find yourself in MD at some point) due to its size.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol I was trying to get a rise outta ya. Checking to see how redneck ya are. Lol
My wife calls me king sophisticated redneck. Lol

- The Blue Mule
I assure you my neck is as red as they get.

I like the cooler idea, but haven't been able to find a suitable candidate. Everything has either a removable lid or one hinged on the side.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The one I have in my Chevy trail/mud truck is blue and has wheels. It opens from the end where the pull handle is. It holds a 30 pk with ice.

- The Blue Mule

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Get a jump seat from a 13+ model with 3 cupholders in it. Uses same bolts as original. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Storage and cupholders

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm actually looking at the trays like are in the Toyota Sienna loaner I have at the moment or the Honda CR-V I recently got rid of. There may be similar ones in other vehicles, these are just the two I have firsthand experience with.

This is the Toyota one in the down position.tray_down-jpg.jpg

What I like is that it leaves the floor open for larger items when not in use. It also makes the cab seem roomier when it's down. Another plus is that it still offers some storage, and concealment, when it's up. One more benefit would be the added legroom for a passenger in the rear seat. The downside is that you obviously can't carry bulky stuff there when you need the cupholders.

Looking at the prices on even used consoles and trays has me really thinking about a DIY option. It's absurd what people are asking for these things. Just saw one of those Sienna trays, used, listed for $59 on eBay. That makes it far cheaper than any of the factory consoles I've seen. But it still seems a bit much for a folding shelf.

Not doing anything til I get the truck back anyhow. Dealer is still having trouble getting the CEL to stay off so it will pass inspection. I'm not buying parts until the truck is in my driveway for good.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ram is opted just like yours an that was one of the first things I did was get a jump seat out of another truck with the top an bottom storages, couldn’t believe that even the top was solid. I will say the cup holders hold a Fosters oil can pretty snug.

OP
OP
S

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, it amazed me too. If it had any storage at all I wouldn't worry about it. But a jump seat is just useless to me. And the factory cupholders are more like coasters, they don't provide a secure grip for anything. I'm leaning towards the tray I posted above, but that might change as I look around and find more options. I'm not too enthusiastic about a storage console since they tend to just be black holes which just accumulate junk.