Jumper cables hooked up backwards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Historically, that was a sure fire way of killing the diodes in the alternator. Make sure you're charging when running and if so, you are most likely fine.
Had someone at work recently do this. One guy hooked up the jumper cables on his passenger van, the other guy hooked his up to his car. Dude in the van did it backwards. I went out to help with my jump pack, I could get it running, but as soon as the cables came off, it died. So either he killed the alternator/blew an inline fuse that I couldn't see, or the battery and the alternator were both DOA.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another thing to think about when jumping another vehicle; never connect the negative cable to the battery, find a different ground method, such as a bolt to connect to. My 2011 has a bolt that looks as though it was put where it is as a ground hookup.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Yea I carry both but if needing to use cables I do the hooking
The jump boxes will actually start a dead car far better than the vast majority of cables and you don't risk damage to your vehicle. If you check out some of the jump box tests they also compare them to jumping using cables. I was very suprised at the outcome.

Check out the link on the previous page.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Or just hook up the cables yourself...you would think the subtle color difference (sarcasm) would make it idiot proof but I guess not
Don't go by wire color. Always verify connections by the markings on the battery. I've seen too many people use a black cable for hot or a red cable for chassis ground. Electrons are color blind.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I carry a thick a_z_z set of 15' long booster cables in my truck.
If I do assist someone in need, I do it all myself and count on no one to assist, period!
I am in charge of the operation!

And, until just a few weeks back, I've never had an issue in my 33+ years of driving and 25+ vehicles (I just jinxed myself...lol) with a dead battery, no matter the time of year and/or its inclement temps (I'm now running the H8 AGM Odyssey battery and will not go back to another brand...lol - thanks @crash68 :)).

I was shown by old school car guys way back when that one NEVER connects the negative cable to the battery. Clamp it on a clean ground of the vehicle being jumped, period! This, and stay the **** away with your face when connecting the last lead...just in case... and I could tell you all a story of a boost gone real bad where the battery exploded back in the day from an improper boost by others... but you get the gist of that one, no doubt.. it wasn't a good outcome for the one who was standing over the battery when they connected it.

While I seldom assist in boosts, and unfortunately, I don't prefer to be this way, but in today's world of karen's and vehicles that can electrically grenade with anything, one must be very aware of the risks and liabilities associated with "Helping" others.

This is personally why I ensure that my vehicle(s) are always in a condition that if I needed to jump in it NOW and drive to California or British Columbia in any weather, I can with zero issue of having to contemplate the "what if" scenario. Albeit.... s h i t_e happens, so be prepared no matter what .... lol

For all other reasons, I carry my CAA Platinum membership, and knowledge enough to know that no one on this planet could screw with me were something to go awry on my travels. A little knowledge is a good thing ;)

Great thread to read overall!

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The jump boxes will actually start a dead car far better than the vast majority of cables and you don't risk damage to your vehicle. If you check out some of the jump box tests they also compare them to jumping using cables. I was very suprised at the outcome.

Check out the link on the previous page.
Okay, questions for you and for all, too.

I have used jump boxes in the past, and they work well, especially the NOCO ones. But only handed to me in the situation, and not mine in my vehicle to employ in the circumstance.

However, what's the protocol, per se...
Do you all keep it in your vehicle regardless of time of year (extreme heat or cold), and just check the charge periodically?

I would have to assume that when it's -20 to -40 and you have that pack in your truck that the charge diminishes, or am I completely incorrect?

I'd have no issues purchasing a high output charging pack and carrying one in my truck for the "what if" scenarios, but how often to check/charge/maintain, etc.?

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin

I have used jump boxes in the past, and they work well, especially the NOCO ones. But only handed to me in the situation, and not mine in my vehicle to employ in the circumstance.

Do you all keep it in your vehicle regardless of time of year (extreme heat or cold), and just check the charge periodically?

I would have to assume that when it's -20 to -40 and you have that pack in your truck that the charge diminishes, or am I completely incorrect?

I'd have no issues purchasing a high output charging pack and carrying one in my truck for the "what if" scenarios, but how often to check/charge/maintain, etc.?
I keep mine in the truck and check the charger periodically. It does not discharge as fast as I thought it would and this is in Alaska weather.

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
don't intend to sound mean, but, i never offer to pull some one out with a tow. I've read too many times where people try to claim it hurt their front ends, or transmission, or body parts. I tell them to call a tow truck instead.

as far as jumping another vehicle, with all the electronics these days, i pass on that too, so i never carry cables. I'm not going to get blamed for another's electrical issues even if the cables were hooked up right.

we live in the twilight zone these days, so, you have to act accordingly..
I totally agree with you and understand your position. This is why I've invested into a 13K winch and have the actual tow truck recovery hooks to connect to the frame (versus a strap around the axle). For all my external electrical power I have Anderson clips connected to a thermal breaker.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use to have a old jump box, likely sealed lead acid battery??? it got so it would not hold a charge, so gave it way. Have not replaced it, but don't do too much driving, I should pick a new one .
When I was still farming I had made a set of cables from heavy welding cable for the trucks. they where about 16 ft long, and a cheap pair in the car. Back at that time , lots of old battery's in stuff.

These days ,being cityfied, I don't have them any more, I would hate to think what it would cost to build them them these days. And I would not boost anyone unless it was out in the country and cold.
I heard on the radio , tow trucks are 4 hrs behind this morning, and it warmed up from yesterday.

The last 3 yrs , there have been a couple times where tow trucks would not go out on the highways when the weather was too bad, so you had better be prepared, as a rule , the ones that are not are the ones that get in trouble.

Last edited:

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't go by wire color. Always verify connections by the markings on the battery. I've seen too many people use a black cable for hot or a red cable for chassis ground. Electrons are color blind.
Yes, absolutely agree...always go with the most trusted source of truth

TBFRam2599

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Mine is in my truck or whatever Vehicle we are using. If it’s exticold I keep it in the house. Then grab it when I walk out the door.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had someone at work recently do this. One guy hooked up the jumper cables on his passenger van, the other guy hooked his up to his car. Dude in the van did it backwards. I went out to help with my jump pack, I could get it running, but as soon as the cables came off, it died. So either he killed the alternator/blew an inline fuse that I couldn't see, or the battery and the alternator were both DOA.

Saw a video of a couple young women trying to jump a car and a guy asked if they needed help. They rudely said no...

The video cut to the guy in his car driving past both of the girls' cars being on fire.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Saw a video of a couple young women trying to jump a car and a guy asked if they needed help. They rudely said no...

The video cut to the guy in his car driving past both of the girls' cars being on fire.
There is lots of talk about toxic masculinity, which only occasionally exists and very little acknowledgement of how toxic the rest of the population is, especially the rainbow alphabet people.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
there are so many mini jump packs now
you need to read the reviews

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I helped a coworker jump start their 4Runner.

Unfortunately they hooked up theirs backwards and noticed both vehicles starting to smoke and it fried the jumper cable. I was able to get the cables off my truck (2018 2500)

I noticed a message on my dashboard that said batter saver. I turned off my truck and I checked everything. I believe everything is working correctly and my truck drove home fine. What should I check to see if any damage was done?
Hoping you got lucky. Happened to me when younger. I know they are expensive, but suggest grabbing one of those battery pack jumpers (keep a NOCO in my truck and the wife’s car) so you don’t have to worry in the future. Top it off twice a year and keep cables for a backup.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How well do those jump packs work when they've been sitting in -10*F temps, when they're 4 years old ..after sitting in the back of a vehicle for 6-8 months since the last charge? Can they handle a long V8 crank situation trying to start a car when they're cold and haven't been charged in a long time? Or do the packs need too be charged up rather often? Not being sarcastic...just curious. I don't have one. I've seen a couple come into the dump that people tossed out.

I just know after a while I'd probably forget about charging it regularly after a while. Even though I know I ought to... lol. But maybe they hold a charge a long time ??

Thanks

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Absolutely. A buddy of mine bought a secondhand car that somebody had replaced the cables with opposite colors. I went to replace his battery, wrenching on the black terminal first. Bumped the fender with my wrench, and the big spark certainly got my attention. No harm done, but scared me.