Just changed my oil for the first time after 5 years.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
my old D100 with a 318, caved in roof from a tree just got fresh oil for the first time in 5 years. It's my field truck, not road worthy. I'm typically neurotic about maintenance but I totally blanked on the poor truck until today when I came to the sudden realization of what I hadn't done!

I got out pretty much black water. replaced it with some Wally world synthetic and a Fram filter. surprisingly, the smoking on start up went away. And I think I actually heard the truck let out a big sigh of relief.

I guess posting this is my way of allaying my guilt.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if it was black and water i would guess there might have been some gas in it which was causing it to smoke. really doesn't take much gas in the oil to cause a engine to smoke more than it should. i know my brother in law recently learned that lesson with his snowblower. did an oil change on it and it went away. i learned that lesson years ago when i got my 81. someone plugged the gas tank vent and 1 hot summer day the fuel tank was under enough pressure that is started forcing gas through the carb and into the engine. nearly filled the block before i figured out what was going on. took a couple oil changes before i would stop smoking out the neighborhood but i think it helped clean out the engine block. had compression readings at 150-160 at the time and now have a pretty solid 170-180psi accross all cylinders.