Just ordered rough country 4” lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2017 crew cab Laramie 1500, 5.7 hemi. First time adding a lift kit to a truck. Also ordered air lift 5000 bags to help with squat when towing camper with fully loaded bed. Kit comes with strut spacers for front and new springs for back. Local shop doing the install (Charlotte NC). Anything I should be concerned about or watch out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
the amount of people who are going to tell you rough country is crap/ garbage. personally i havent had any issues with the lift. the coild spring isolator issue was due to the parts monkey installing them wrong when they swapped in the aftermarket springs. that isnt rough countrys fault. they got a bad rap a while back but as i said, no issues for me.

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i was gonna say shoulda stayed away from them but to each his own. i did tons of research, they seemed to come in at the bottom of the list for alot of things. i went zone and soon to go kelderman. but hopefully, you will have no issues

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spacers are horrible on the drivetrain.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2017 crew cab Laramie 1500, 5.7 hemi. First time adding a lift kit to a truck. Also ordered air lift 5000 bags to help with squat when towing camper with fully loaded bed. Kit comes with strut spacers for front and new springs for back. Local shop doing the install (Charlotte NC). Anything I should be concerned about or watch out for?

How much is your local shop charging you for the install of that kit? I’m looking at the same exact kit or the MaxTrac 4.5”/3” with Fox Shocks and I am wondering what shops are charging to install lift kits of this style into our trucks. Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

OP
OP
D

diyhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Spacers are horrible on the drivetrain.

That was one of the concerns I had about this kit. I specifically asked the shop about it and he said they do about one RC kit a week (some with spacers some without) and they haven’t had any issues from the kits themselves. Do you have any experience with issues long term when adding a spacer to the drivetrain? Anything I should watch out for?

OP
OP
D

diyhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How much is your local shop charging you for the install of that kit? I’m looking at the same exact kit or the MaxTrac 4.5”/3” with Fox Shocks and I am wondering what shops are charging to install lift kits of this style into our trucks. Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

They haven’t sent an invoice, but using part prices online and estimating cost for the airbag spacer, I think the shop is charging between $800-1000 for labor. They said it would be a day and a half of work. I spoke with a few people on it and that didn’t seem unreasonable. But I’m opening myself up for a lashing now, please take it easy haha

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
my 4.5" lift kit with radius arms wass $800 labor for install. i went with RC because no one else made a lift that high for the PW. i wanted 5" min. this actually added onto the factory 2" lift so im at 6.5"

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They haven’t sent an invoice, but using part prices online and estimating cost for the airbag spacer, I think the shop is charging between $800-1000 for labor. They said it would be a day and a half of work. I spoke with a few people on it and that didn’t seem unreasonable. But I’m opening myself up for a lashing now, please take it easy haha

Is your truck 4wd then?

my 4.5" lift kit with radius arms wass $800 labor for install. i went with RC because no one else made a lift that high for the PW. i wanted 5" min. this actually added onto the factory 2" lift so im at 6.5"

So your PW is 4wd, I’ve heard 4wd lift kits are WAY more expensive to install due to the many more parts and fabrications necessary with most lift kit installs.

My truck is a 2wd so I am guessing I will be looking at $800-$1,000 for the install, but since it’s a 2wd with less parts for the install, it might end up being cheaper. I am just looking for a ball park price so I know if a shop is trying to rip me off. About 2 years ago I had a shop quote me $2,500 for the install of a 6” RC lift on my 06 1500 4x4 and I laughed and walked out I knew it was outrageous. For the RC kit and install it was almost $6,0000. That shop is **** and unfortunately it is run by 65yr old guys who are not very friendly and also hate certain makes/types of vehicles. I have no clue how they have survived for 20 years I am guessing by suckering a few idiots here and there for massive bills for lift kits and the like.

I think I’ll go to this gas station/shop in town who I’ve spoken to before and they are really cool and have a few lifted trucks outside that the employees own so they know what they are doing and said to me before they do lift kits.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Is your truck 4wd then?

So your PW is 4wd, I’ve heard 4wd lift kits are WAY more expensive to install due to the many more parts and fabrications necessary with most lift kit installs.

My truck is a 2wd so I am guessing I will be looking at $800-$1,000 for the install, but since it’s a 2wd with less parts for the install, it might end up being cheaper. I am just looking for a ball park price so I know if a shop is trying to rip me off. About 2 years ago I had a shop quote me $2,500 for the install of a 6” RC lift on my 06 1500 4x4 and I laughed and walked out I knew it was outrageous. For the RC kit and install it was almost $6,0000. That shop is **** and unfortunately it is run by 65yr old guys who are not very friendly and also hate certain makes/types of vehicles. I have no clue how they have survived for 20 years I am guessing by suckering a few idiots here and there for massive bills for lift kits and the like.

I think I’ll go to this gas station/shop in town who I’ve spoken to before and they are really cool and have a few lifted trucks outside that the employees own so they know what they are doing and said to me before they do lift kits.

You should reach out to Quick-Shifter, his suspension shop is in south-east PA- Marcus Hook I think. I’m in north VA & did my level here at a local shop, very happy with their work but then I found Quick-Shifter on this forum, he installed my rear suspension, fuel pump/sensor & brakes including fluid flush & steel braided lines. I gladly make the 2.5 hr drive to his shop for any work I’m having done.

18B17965-2A28-4D58-BD70-1EBE2CD0EE92.jpeg

97E0E540-431C-46EE-BA2E-F80E44BE58A4.jpeg

ABF93E1A-5C8F-4B6A-A092-D3232D875AD8.jpeg

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Rough country is garbage, plain and simple. If they could make their parts out of wood they would do it. I have way too many horror stories to list, but I wouldn’t touch their crap with someone else’s ten foot pole. You *might* get lucky and be ok, but your truck will never ride as well as a truck with a proper suspension package, and the components will wear out much sooner than other kits. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

diyhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is your truck 4wd then?

Yes, my truck is 4wd with the labor quote of 800-1000

OP
OP
D

diyhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Rough country is garbage, plain and simple. If they could make their parts out of wood they would do it. I have way too many horror stories to list, but I wouldn’t touch their crap with someone else’s ten foot pole. You *might* get lucky and be ok, but your truck will never ride as well as a truck with a proper suspension package, and the components will wear out much sooner than other kits. Good luck.

What do you mean by wearing out sooner than other kits? I noticed they have lifetime replacement warranty on the kits. Sure there’s lots of fine print but high level it sounds like if something breaks that should not have broken, it will be replaced. Do you have any experience with people using their customer service? Do you think they are overselling the warranty service?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What do you mean by wearing out sooner than other kits? I noticed they have lifetime replacement warranty on the kits. Sure there’s lots of fine print but high level it sounds like if something breaks that should not have broken, it will be replaced. Do you have any experience with people using their customer service? Do you think they are overselling the warranty service?

One example, I recently traded a Gladiator in that had a ****...sorry, rough country lift on it. The drag link was completely rusted. It looked like it was risen from the titanic. The sway bar links looked the same way. And the lift was on that truck for less than a year. I have had a Thuren suspension on my truck for two years now and I wheel the **** out of my Wagon, and the parts (except for the reservoir shock hose bolts) show zero signs of corrosion. Rough Country uses **** materials, crappy shocks, and just all around terrible designs. They’re a cheap company that sells parts to people who don’t know any better.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Any company will say they stand behind their warranty...but here is the kicker ... if you even "violate" one of their recommendations of what not to use or do not use what they suggest and recommend your warranty is fully void ..

Take for instance my Maxtrac 7" lift kit .... I asked them tons of questions and there used to be a guy here on these forums who has not been around since last October I believe ... I asked him if anything happened to my lift kit would they warranty it he said yes! ... He asked me what I was going to be doing to the truck besides the lift kit and I told him 37" tires on some 20x12 wheels with a -44 offset ... he said I would have no problems with their lift kit only problem I could and most certainly would have was my tires rubbing and that had nothing to do with their lift kit ...

Rough Country was and is still a trash of a lift kit and "I" have personally seen them deny warranty claims for small broken parts .... there is another lift kit thread with warranty issues so honestly man it is so hard right now to say who to go with ....

Just have to keep this in mind .... unless you stay within the OEM specs when lifting a truck lol don't expect any company to honor warranties ... if you feel fine with rough country and that is all you can afford right now then go for it ...but keep in mind that they are not a very reputable company at all ...

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Is your truck 4wd then?

Using the ex wife at the ram dealer to order it my lift was 1000 instead of 1200 with her discount. Total with install was 1800

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Funny how you fault RC for rusting components when Ram Trucks underside components comes rusty straight from the factory onto dealership lots !!!
No joke !!!

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes I do !
Look up Rust on new Ram trucks !
I’m sure you will find pictures and complaints on here. I’ve read it and seen pictures of the axles and front end components that have superficial surface rust because of lousy e-coatings from the suppliers ! Not a big deal, but all metal parts are coated terrible from the factory. They don’t really worry about it lasting Long !