Keep stock TB or nah?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I either plan on buying a TB from fastman or sending mine in to be bored. From everyone who bought one. Did you sell your stock TB or just keep it laying around? To be honest I'll probably keep the truck forever. So idk if there's even a reason to keep the stock one.

OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or if I did the investment and sent my stock throttle body to get done, how could that TB be sold for?

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 87 mm ported tb from moe's. Im very impressed with the thing. I held onto my stock one just in case I ever do sell the truck in the future and I can revert it back to stock. I think it's worth it especially if you have a cold air intake.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I bought one from Moes and love it! Still have stock one

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most ported Tb are not a huge improvement over stock except to increase flow efficiency through the butterfly. They are still stock butterfly with the entrance cleaned up. A true bore uses an oversized butterfly and enlarged bore. If I upgrade I’d go with fastman. I currently have one from elite hemi performance. The ported 87mm refers to the opening to the TB itself. A true bore like an 84 or 85mm is referring to the butterfly size

OP
OP
Cwils80

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most ported Tb are not a huge improvement over stock except to increase flow efficiency through the butterfly. They are still stock butterfly with the entrance cleaned up. A true bore uses an oversized butterfly and enlarged bore. If I upgrade I’d go with fastman. I currently have one from elite hemi performance. The ported 87mm refers to the opening to the TB itself. A true bore like an 84 or 85mm is referring to the butterfly size

So even in a stock motor you would recommend his 84mm bored TB? I've been told that doing something like that takes away from low end torque and doesn't maximize the power it can gain because its too much air?

Does anyone know where I can get quality bored TBs at? I see Fastman has been closed for a awhile now and I got no word of when he's opening up.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So even in a stock motor you would recommend his 84mm bored TB? I've been told that doing something like that takes away from low end torque and doesn't maximize the power it can gain because its too much air?

Does anyone know where I can get quality bored TBs at? I see Fastman has been closed for a awhile now and I got no word of when he's opening up.
For a bone stock truck no. The stock Tb is fine. I think most people recommend keeping the stock Tb until towards the end of modding the truck because it really depends on what you’re doing to what Tb is best for you. I was merely pointing out that ported Tb is not a huge change over stock but a true bore like fastman or mmx are larger changes. More than likely for my truck I’ll be keeping the ported Tb. If I get a cam for my truck then I’ll look into a true bore. My current setup is catback, and a 6.4 truck manifold. Trying to save up for arh long tube headers and catted y pipe.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Do the exhaust side first.Throttle body isn't going to add much on a stock truck,especially if you're still running the stock cam and exhaust manifolds.You gotta get the air out first before it'll take anymore air in,and unless you've done the cam and are running long tube headers,the throttle body isn't going to gain you anything other then a placebo effect. If anybody tells you they gained power on a stock truck with a bigger throttle body,ask them to produce the 1/4 mile timeslips backing up their claim,that'll shut them up in a hurry,as nobody will be able to actually back up their claim,you want actual timeslips,not some Mickey Moused dyno claim either,lol

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Yep got to move more air with cam/intake/exhaust before you need larger bore TB.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A bigger throttle body can be noticeable on a stock truck, just have to realize that peak hp and torque will likely remain unchanged, or if any gains, they'd be minimal. The difference would be noticeable with throttle response. I'd equate the improvement as similar to a pedal commander.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody know what size is the TB opening on the intake manifold side?

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. In the meantime I found an old post from Matt at Moes Performance and he said it’s actually 82.5mm.