Kicking around the idea of replacing mechanical fan with electric one.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I suppose if I had to guess, an electric fan would probably be a lot more likely to fail than a mechanical clutch fan would and yes, I know, even though the newer trucks don’t even have a mechanical fan anymore but, mine does so yeah, they could possibly hold that against me but then again, I guess it all boils down to how much leverage the Magnuson moss act would have even on a warranty like that that wasn’t necessarily a manufacturer warranty and if the rule would still apply that they would still have to prove that by me removing the mechanical clutch fan and replacing it with an aftermarket electric fan or even a same brand fan from the same truck but with a different engine.

But I understand completely what you’re saying when you said if perhaps the truck had to get hauled in behind a tow truck to the shop for an overheating problem but mysteriously there’s nothing wrong with the mechanical clutch fan and there’s some other electric fan whether it’s aftermarket or some other Mopar fan found in the place of the original condenser fan but, I dunno. I’ve heard of people spinning on brand new Mopar oil filter on the engine after it blew up just so that when it went to the shop, they couldn’t place the blame on an aftermarket oil filter.

But then again, a good lawyer has gotten people their claims when the manufacturer said they weren’t going to honor it but all in all, I may not even do anything because even though some people have said they’ve been OK with just relying on the stock condenser fan without the mechanical clutch fan, I would still feel better with the electric fan that comes in the V6 trucks only because it’s larger and it has a fan shroud to pull more air through the complete radiator instead of just the center of it but then again if something was to happen, that fan would give them something to be a lot more suspicious about because it’s not the original fan so like I said, I’ll probably just end up leaving it alone because what I wanna do requires too much extra stuff.

Yep, I also agree with your comment.

It's a shame that that when you feel like doing/adding some kind of performance goody that the warranty could get into the way if something were to happen and then still, having to get an attorney involved to deal with the warranty issue/claim with the manufacturer or the dealer could be time consuming.

I wouldn't want to have to deal with the amount of time that all that could/ or would take if it were me. But, that's just me.

My HEMI does fine as it is in stock form, well other than the MOPAR OEM Closed CAI that I added, but the reason for that add on was for the ease of cleaning and reusing the air filter. That alone saved a little $$. I couldn't tell one way or the other if there was any performance gain, Oh well.

Still, enjoy your truck and I wish you many happy carefree miles.

Jhoward

1dbcoleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi stroked to a 6.4
I have an 08 ram. We did a lot of engine work about 550 at the crank. I installed an aluminum radiator larger trans cooler a electric flexlite direct install an 2 small fans for the trans cooler. Mine come on with the key on and shut off with the key off.

Attachments

• 20201210_122759.jpg
    20201210_122759.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210815_094220.jpg
    20210815_094220.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211114_183943.jpg
    20211114_183943.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210613_184107.jpg
    20210613_184107.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210624_185042.jpg
    20210624_185042.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 10

1dbcoleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi stroked to a 6.4
For me getting rid of the fan was more for noise. No gains to be seen in HP. Also I had a brand new water pump pulling come right off while driving. With the new pump pulley. Spot weld it to tha shaft. Install it then do the rest of the removal. I like it much better. Flexlite makes a really good electric swap out

Attachments

• 20201210_122759.jpg
    20201210_122759.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me getting rid of the fan was more for noise. No gains to be seen in HP. Also I had a brand new water pump pulling come right off while driving. With the new pump pulley. Spot weld it to tha shaft. Install it then do the rest of the removal. I like it much better. Flexlite makes a really good electric swap out
I honestly can’t say that I’ve ever heard my clutch fan a whole lot but for me and if it wasn’t for this warranty, I’d be doing it just to get away from the clutch fan even if it didn’t help power or mileage.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I honestly can’t say that I’ve ever heard my clutch fan a whole lot but for me and if it wasn’t for this warranty, I’d be doing it just to get away from the clutch fan even if it didn’t help power or mileage.
Why the hate for the clutch fan?
If going to an aftermarket V6 fan, it seems as if they just don't last as long as the oem.
The V6 fan is only about an inch or so larger than the stock e fan on the truck already - though it does use a completed shroud.
Using the stock e-fan with stock shroud seemed to cool as well as the V6 setup when I used it - I doubt using the stock e-fan without the stock shroud would work as well.
My OEM V6 fan sits in the garage unused now.

I will say, it really does make the engine bay look better without the stock shroud. Honestly, that is the largest gain of doing the swap.

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why the hate for the clutch fan?
If going to an aftermarket V6 fan, it seems as if they just don't last as long as the oem.
The V6 fan is only about an inch or so larger than the stock e fan on the truck already - though it does use a completed shroud.
Using the stock e-fan with stock shroud seemed to cool as well as the V6 setup when I used it - I doubt using the stock e-fan without the stock shroud would work as well.
My OEM V6 fan sits in the garage unused now.

I will say, it really does make the engine bay look better without the stock shroud. Honestly, that is the largest gain of doing the swap.
Can I borrow that fan of yours sitting in the garage to test if I want to drop the cash to change over to the V-6 e-fan? LOL

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you were closer I would say yes
Honestly, just remove your clutch fan while leaving everything else intact - it will give you the same results as the V6 fan except for the cleaning up of the engine bay.

If you don't want the temps to fluctuate a bunch remove the rows 2&3 from the top of the shutters but leave the rest.
:)

Last edited:

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, that sounds like and easy enough thing to try out.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its useless
Lol for us untuned guys it works well with no penalty - at most maybe shorter water pump life. Keeps my temps very stable even on hot days. It's probably one of the most efficient clutch fans I have ever used - much more than what was on the 5.2 or 5.9 or 4.7.

Would I prefer the 5th gen setup - well most definitely.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol for us untuned guys it works well with no penalty - at most maybe shorter water pump life. Keeps my temps very stable even on hot days. It's probably one of the most efficient clutch fans I have ever used - much more than what was on the 5.2 or 5.9 or 4.7.

Would I prefer the 5th gen setup - well most definitely.
Yeah, that E Fan can be glitchy too. There is a new one ordered for MY 19 since Feb 2022, still not here. Figure on the slow boat from China, see in 2025. When it spools up full force, U can hear real well if U do not have radio blasting, reminds me of the Humvee Oil coolers, just not quite as loud.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, it moves some air.

On my V6 one, I shouldn't have cut out the resistor and just wired it up and made it a 2 speed. It really didn't cool significantly any better than the stock e-fan/shroud combo minus clutch fan though as far as I could tell.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah even the earplugs didn't help against that noise lol. Dealt with a whole fleet of those Hummers.
and then when they ran hot, You pulled the relay connection and had 100% noise all the time, lmao.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell me about it lol. Not as bad as flying on a C-130 from Kuwait to Baghdad. Swear I couldn't hear for days after that flight lol.
Not done a lot of C-130 stuff, mostly on C-9 Medevac, C-141B Starlifter, C-5 Galaxy (noisy down below), and of course rotary: Huey's and Chinooks (Chithooks). Watching my sling loaded Hummer spinning in a circle and hoping helicopter not drop it, LOL.

Worst was standing on flightline like 150 feet to the rear/side of a FB-111 cranking up and moving: those Pratt-Whitney's rocket engines just deafening, quite literally (lost in some ranges 50% of my hearing to it).