Kumho Cragen HT51 275/60R20 Tire Initial Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spdfrkaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 CC Sport
Engine
Hey all, well I spent about five hours researching all sorts of all season non-A/T tires to replace my worn out Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires. I was looking for reviews in the specific areas of wet and snow handling since we will be moving back to the east coast from northern California in the middle of January.

These tires are rated at something like a 720 treadwear/70,000 miles. Realistically, I'm expecting maybe half the rated miles. The tread is pretty soft and squishy. The one thing I was unable to find online was a closeup of the siping to see how deep they went. The outer siping is about twice the depth as the siping in the middle of the tire.

PROS
Very affordable. I picked up four tires for $442/before taxes, $490/tax included.
It rained today and the grip was good.
Low road noise.
Balance is good so far. (I had constant issues with Discoverer HT Plus tires from Day 1)

CONS
The rubber does seem pretty soft so life may be shorter than expected.

Note...the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires worked well in all weather from a snow storm in Colorado to "off roading" in Death Valley during the summer. Only negative was the constant having to rebalance. Lucklily, I had free lifetime balancing. I experimented with tire pressures between 37-39 psi (cold)/41-44 psi (hot) and at the end of their life the middle tread of the tire had more wear wear than the outer tread. Just an FYI.

View media item 26303

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the write-up! I ran a set of Kunho Solus on one of my cars years ago. They were awesome for the price. The tread pics look similar to stock Goodyear Wrangers.

Like you, I've always had great luck and like to buy Cooper or Mastercraft products, but I'm not afraid to go overseas given the price of rubber these days. I've got real deep pockets when it comes to consumables like tires. LOL

OP
OP
spdfrkaby

spdfrkaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 CC Sport
Engine
Thanks for the write-up! I ran a set of Kunho Solus on one of my cars years ago. They were awesome for the price. The tread pics look similar to stock Goodyear Wrangers.

Like you, I've always had great luck and like to buy Cooper or Mastercraft products, but I'm not afraid to go overseas given the price of rubber these days. I've got real deep pockets when it comes to consumables like tires. LOL

Agreed. Tires are not cheap, especially when you are buying rubber for a Ram, Jeep, Cobra, and a sportbike (street and track tires). It adds up quick.

I did review the Mastercraft tires. The Mastercraft Courser HTR Plus is the same tire as the Cooper Discoverer HT Plus. I also looked at the Mastercraft STR and HSX as well as the Continental Crosstrack LX20 but the Crugens were by far the cheapest option.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can always get them siped again as they get older. I did that with the original tires on my truck. They performed well through a couple northwest winters.