Leaky Brake Light Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My gasket from Detroit Muscle Tech started leaking yesterday (installed Jan 2023, so less than a year). So I went and picked up the recommended gasket from Home Depot, scraped all the old gasket and gunk off, installed the new gasket and reinstalled the light.

Supposed to rain more this weekend so we'll see how it works. Currently have a little heater fan keeping the truck at 72 to dry things out.
Yeah I was NOT impressed the Detroit Muscle Tech gasket. I bought one of those a few years ago, I was going to replace the MD gasket with it figuring it was "better". I took one look at it and threw it on the shelf, it was way thinner than the MD gasket. Its been several years now and it hasn't leaked yet. Well from the third brake light anyways....

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am going on nine years with my hardware store m-d gasket ,never a drip.

Xyleff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you guys overlap the bottom strip with the one that goes around the top, or precisely cut where the ends meet?

NashTT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just fixed mine in the driveway. 2008 1500 original gasket. Had only one leak about the size of a pencil point, but with Florida rain showers that’s enough for a problem. 16 years is not bad for gasket life in the sun here. Used the MD gasket roll and it took about 15 minutes, easy peezy. Thanks for the instructions and pictures.