LED tailgate light bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
any one have any issue installing an LED tailgate light bar on their truck? I have the new body style 2019 RAM 1500 and want to put a light bar under the tailgate. on my Ford F150 if I plugged the light bar into the trailer 4 prong plug it would activate my tow functions and my rear parking sensors wouldn't work. I ended up hardwiring the light bar into the rear and reverse taillights on the Ford. will I have to do this also or I know that OPT7 makes a module to fix this issue.

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Opt 7’s customer service is AWFUL. I went with another company on amazon for hat sells the exact same light bar. The only problem I have had is with the turn signals. They don’t last very long and eventually stop working. The brake light and reverse light are a must. I like the turn signals but there must be a reason they stop working.

OP
OP
dc73pdsgt

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
did you hard wire it or use the trailer plug in?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
any one have any issue installing an LED tailgate light bar on their truck? I have the new body style 2019 RAM 1500 and want to put a light bar under the tailgate. on my Ford F150 if I plugged the light bar into the trailer 4 prong plug it would activate my tow functions and my rear parking sensors wouldn't work. I ended up hardwiring the light bar into the rear and reverse taillights on the Ford. will I have to do this also or I know that OPT7 makes a module to fix this issue.

I have opt7 as well and it works without issue. Only thing I've noticed is a small delay between functions.

I used this harness to make it plug and play minus the reverse. For reverse I just tapped into the 7 pin harness reverse wire behind the bumper.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-55384-Custom-Wiring-Connector/dp/B0009FJ38Q

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just talked to Recon, these fit: either the steady stop and/or amber turn signals. U would have to wire reverse white into reverse or say tap off of 7 pin, and the Curt hookup works well for the 4 pin. I just haven't got to it yet. My next expense is bed/tailgate mopar mat combo and I need a couple parts for my MC. Can't do all mods at once, lol..

https://gorecon.com/product/60-tail...-lights-fits-most-full-sized-trucks-and-suvs/

2DirtyKids

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 upgraded from 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I bought a inexpensive one of Wish.com and used the Curtis trailer plug harness. For $20 figured would try the cheap light strip and now have the harness in place without any taping into the factory harness. Worked well and I removed my tailgate to more easily install the strip. Just be sure to test the height because mine might be slightly high depending on the distance and height of a vehicle behind me. The 3M tape was pretty good so didn't want to move it and risk having to retape which I would probably just buy a new light strip.
The only other minor modification I made was to the cover for the spare tire hole. I just took it to the belt sander figuring replacing that in the future would be cheap if I ever removed the light.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Install question: It’s not anywhere near the OPT-7 recommended temperature to install with the double sided tape. Any tips?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Install question: It’s not anywhere near the OPT-7 recommended temperature to install with the double sided tape. Any tips?
Use thin neodymium magnets to hold the tailgate light bar on, several members on this forum have done this.

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Don’t use the tape on the vehicle. Buy ceramic magnets (at least 2, you can get them at Ace, HD, Lowes) and stick them to the light strip. Then affix to the truck. This way you can move the bar to access the spare tire “release port”. Just take off as much as the tape cover to install the magnet on the bar. Don’t peel the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BruceA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ordered the same Curt wiring harness. Just sent it back. On my truck (new body style 2019 RAM Big Horn), I couldn't figure out how to remove the plug on the rear of the tow wiring hookup on the rear of the bumper. The part also didn't list 2019 RAM on the package. Looked like it would be an easy fix, but still trying to figure it out. Also, having a hell of a time trying to attach the light bar to the back of the truck. No easy way to place it, due to the cable door & cable for the tailgate camera/tailgate lock. Really like the light bar, but am slowly getting the impression that it's a no win situation... Also trying to remove the tailgate seems a little tricky due to the tailgate assist that is supposedly on the left side of the tailgate. Still attempting to contact Dodge dealer for advice before attempting to remove it...

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Putco 60 inch Blade and the Putco y-connector plugs into the trailer hitch from behind the bumper,All plug and play also warranted for 3 years cant beat it. When installed this way you don't mess with the electrical warranty on your new Ram.

BruceA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure that this subject has been talked to death, but not having this problem with other trucks, I'm totally frustrated. After banging my head against the wall and taking into consideration all the good advice from other RAM owners, I have just about given up on this light bar. I spoke with an installer who makes a living doing add-ons on trucks, and he said that the new body style RAM 1500 makes adding a light bar easily to this truck nearly impossible. Even makng a custom bracket to try to level out the light bar and not interfere with the tailgate cable, and have the light bar lie flat wouldn't be possible. He suggested that the only way to get the light bar on this model, would be to attach it to the extreme bottom of the tailgate. Not sure how that will look, and how the wires would be routed, but am considering it.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm sure that this subject has been talked to death, but not having this problem with other trucks, I'm totally frustrated. After banging my head against the wall and taking into consideration all the good advice from other RAM owners, I have just about given up on this light bar. I spoke with an installer who makes a living doing add-ons on trucks, and he said that the new body style RAM 1500 makes adding a light bar easily to this truck nearly impossible. Even makng a custom bracket to try to level out the light bar and not interfere with the tailgate cable, and have the light bar lie flat wouldn't be possible. He suggested that the only way to get the light bar on this model, would be to attach it to the extreme bottom of the tailgate. Not sure how that will look, and how the wires would be routed, but am considering it.

So my OPT7 light bar I had to use the metal brackets it came with. I also had to add a little washer to each screw to increase the distance a little bit. It is a tight fit but my tailgate bar fits fine.

It's not impossible by any stretch of the word but it is not nearly as easy as the 4th Gens.

As far as you not being able to figure out how to remove the trailer plug behind the bumper I can't help you. I also have a 2019 new body style and it was identical to my previous 4th Gen ram's. If you were anywhere near TN I could give you a hand.

If I've got time tomorrow I'll make a video for you and show you how I've got my tailgate bar and adapter done.

BruceA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That would be really helpful. I appreciate the input and look forward to seeing how you did it. I put the light bar I have on the bottom of my tailgate with tape just to see how it would look. Although it doesn't get hung up when the tailgate is open it really doesn't look right. I really appreciate the help. How did you wire your light bar? Did you have to splice into the wire harness? Did you tap into one of the backup lights?

Mingya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hybrid
Ya I have been trying to figure this out myself. Iv'e always had a light bar and the new model ram makes it very difficult with the tailgate wire mold. I have a long plastic strip that I didn't
use from my bedrug that fits really good at the bottom of the tailgate which does help with the look of it against my fire red tailgate. The strip alone just looks like crap. Or if you got the pilot bully strip you can use the upper section above the lights and mount it somehow to the inside bottom of the tailgate which might be the best look. Although I'm thinking of just scrapping the idea which totally sucks. But I'm gonna try and figure something out before I give it to my son for his Silverado

Dogpatch

Senior Member - Ram Nut
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 7 pin connector on the truck has two buttons you have to push to release it. One on each side. Just need to feel for them.

Jack Salem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what did you come up with for mounting the 60" with the new body style?

xbaltizarx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen a few guys use 2 short light bars instead of the 1 long light bar. Maybe that was their solution. Sucks though if you can’t return/exchange the one you already have.