LED Turn Signal Install Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hello all,

I installed a pair of 3157 LED Tail/Turn/Brake bulbs along with 50w 6 ohm resisters on my 2014 BH. Everything works correctly on the passenger side with no errors.

However the identically installed driver side has issues that don't make sense to me.
  • The LED blinks at the normal speed. The dash turn indicator and mirror turn light fast-blink and displays a "Left rear turn signal light out" error message. The mirror turn light and front turns are OEM.
  • I verified the resistor is good, and connected across the turn signal and ground wires.
  • I swapped the LEDs with no change. When I reinstall the original incandescent bulb it blinks normally. Initially the dash and mirror fast-blink, then after about 10 seconds everything goes to normal slow-blink operation with no error message.
What stumps me is the LED blinks at normal speed, suggesting the resistor is doing its job. But the fast blinking dash and light out error message says otherwise. And I have no clue as to how or why the mirror turn signal light is affected.

Appreciate any suggestions or troubleshooting steps I should do to get this resolved.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Try using the 4 ways for 15-20 seconds, some times that works, then try driver's side signal for 15-20 seconds to see if it "forces" the truck to adjust to the led's.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

OP
OP
Barney556180

Barney556180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Four-ways flash normally, but as soon as I canx the left turn signal goes into it's weirdness and does not adjust.

I'm really perplexed over the behavior of the mirror signal. And if the resistor wasn't correctly working, wouldn't the rear LED fast-blink?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck continues to output normal flash speed on the signal wires but flashes the dash and mirror fast to indicate an issue.

OP
OP
Barney556180

Barney556180

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The truck continues to output normal flash speed on the signal wires but flashes the dash and mirror fast to indicate an issue.

Ah, okay that makes some sense.
I’ll swap the resistors as suggested and see what happens.

Update: I mistakenly thought since the LED was slow-blinking, the resistor was connected properly. Upon inspection I found one of the crimp splice blocks was not making electrical connection.

I hard-wired and soldered the connections and everything is now working correctly.

Thanks for the assist.

Last edited:

20Ram14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m literally having the same problem that you did. Can you elaborate a little bit on what exactly you fixed to make it go away. Have the same setup with leds and blinks fast on mirror and inside the cab. Works fine front and back. No LEDs out. Fourways work perfectly fine.