LED upgrade complete, now throwing multiple errors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So I upgraded all my Halogen bulbs on my '18 to LEDs the last two days. The Low Beam, High Beam, Front Turn Signals, Fog Lights, 3rd Brake Light and 3rd Brake Light Reverse lights, Taillight Reverse Lights, and Taillights. Everything up front works with no issues or errors. Everything in the rear works as well...but when I start her up I get an error for Left Turn Signal that then makes the driverside mirror turn signal andhand indicator on the dash(the front and rear work at the expected rate). It also tells me my right brake light is out (I checked, it works fine). Furthermore it says my backup lights are out (put the parking brake on and threw it in reverse and ran around to see no issues).

Any thoughts on how to clear this up? I've flipped the bulbs in the rear to no avail.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The right rear brake light means to the third brake light. You change that one too?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Yes, changed all exterior lights. OBD MX should suffice right?

AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX, and the bypass security harness for the 2018's sold by M2Mods. Once you get those, then you can go into the BCM and change the exterior lights to LED present in the setting menus.

OP
OP
M

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
AlfaOBD and the OBDLink MX, and the bypass security harness for the 2018's sold by M2Mods. Once you get those, then you can go into the BCM and change the exterior lights to LED present in the setting menus.

Is the harness just a way to avoid having to go to the dealership and getting the 4 digit pin?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
No. In later vehicles FCA added a firewall that prevents tools like Alpha from making changes via the OBD port. The harness bypasses that firewall. You will not need the 4 digit RF hub PIN for this change.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The PIN code is needed to add or replace a key for instance. There's an app to get the PIN if the dealer won't give it to you.

OP
OP
M

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No. In later vehicles FCA added a firewall that prevents tools like Alpha from making changes via the OBD port. The harness bypasses that firewall. You will not need the 4 digit RF hub PIN for this change.

The PIN code is needed to add or replace a key for instance. There's an app to get the PIN if the dealer won't give it to you.

These seem to be conflicting replies. For the LEDs I will not need the PIN code? Now to change the TPMS threshold levels with the bypass harness I wouldn't need the PIN as well?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
LED's = No PIN needed.
TPMS, Key fobs = PIN needed.

There is a paid app to pull the PIN code if your dealer won't give it to you.

All of these things will require the bypass harness.

OP
OP
M

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
LED's = No PIN needed.
TPMS, Key fobs = PIN needed.

There is a paid app to pull the PIN code if your dealer won't give it to you.

All of these things will require the bypass harness.

Thank you! What is the app called?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think it is called Chrysler PIN Puller on the Google store. I would hit up the dealer parts departments in your area. Mine gave it to me with no questions asked. Just verified my license and registration.

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you have some sound advice here from responders. I will give you and others planning changes like this and that is to know a little bit about canbus systems, which you can learn over the internet and always use resistors on non modified canbus systems. Yo should never have problems after that. Good Luck.

MattCham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Alfaobd
Obdlink- got mine off amazon
Bypass harness- got mine from kaodtech
The BCM tell the truck it has Halogen. Alfaobd allows you to switch it to LEad, there is no need for resistors

OP
OP
M

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Alright so I went through and updated the Tail Lamps, Reverse Lamps, Rear Stop Lamps and Rear Turn Signal Lamps to LED via AlphaOBD with the OBDLink MX and am still getting a message for left rear turn signal being out.

I'm wondering what it could be at this point and how to troubleshoot. There is also an option to changes the rear lamps to single element but I'm not sure that would do anything. Or could it simply be to flip the light?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200630_131921.jpg Screenshot_20200630-132055.png Screenshot_20200630-132105.png Screenshot_20200630-132116.png

Screenshot_20200630-132041.png

OP
OP
M

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Another quick update: set the tail lamps back to halogen and when I unlock the vehicle the left rear taillight goes out while the right stays on. When I set it to MAR to see the error, it says the left rear turn signal is out.

I am now tho king there may be a short somewhere.

On another note, when I drove it this weekend on the highway it intermittently would work fine (with the LEDs) then if I hit a bump the error message would pop up. Thoughts?

OP
OP
M

Mjswan11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Please disregard the last two posts.

Once I cleared the faults everything worked in both configurations so it's all good.

Thanks again y'all for your input and patience.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to take over your thread but since you guys are talking about Alfa? If I have halogen tail lights and want to switch to the sport leds, I know jj at retro sells the reisitor packs but wouldn’t using Alfa with an adapter be enough?

cincyfirefighter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced all my exterior lights with leds and then used alfa obd to change to the led options and still was getting light error messages