LED's in OE Premium Projectors- what works?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got around to installing the Innovited 5000k HIDs this evening. While I was in the head light assembly, I also upgraded the high beams to Cougar Motor 6000k LEDs. The different is amazing and the whole job took about an hour.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I've done tons of research in the past and in general, HIDs will out performance LEDs in a halogen housing. That's because of chip placement and the thickness of the stem on the bulb, the focus of the light is not in the same spot as a halogen or HID bulb but off to each side. But because of the ballast box and other pieces, it's a PITA to install in a lot of newer vehicles. I've tried so many different LEDs and been disappointed each time but aftermarket HID kits do not seem to last, I was always replacing a ballast or a bulb it seemed. So I kept trying LEDs, determined to find a good set that were designed properly.

I tried these in my '14 Ford Fusion Titanium in it's factory halogen projectors and was blown away at the performance so I ordered them for the Ram as well. They got the chip placement perfect, the output and cutoff is very nice and I have yet to be blinded. I have them in both the low and high beam positions on both the Fusion and the Ram, the highs on both are regular reflector style halogen housings and these LEDs perform amazingly well.

I'd HIGHLY recommend these. They fit in the housings nicely without the need to cut as well.

9005s.png

I'll have to get some night time output pictures but here's the pattern of the lows
IMG_6472.JPG

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done tons of research in the past and in general, HIDs will out performance LEDs in a halogen housing. That's because of chip placement and the thickness of the stem on the bulb, the focus of the light is not in the same spot as a halogen or HID bulb but off to each side. But because of the ballast box and other pieces, it's a PITA to install in a lot of newer vehicles. I've tried so many different LEDs and been disappointed each time but aftermarket HID kits do not seem to last, I was always replacing a ballast or a bulb it seemed. So I kept trying LEDs, determined to find a good set that were designed properly.

I tried these in my '14 Ford Fusion Titanium in it's factory halogen projectors and was blown away at the performance so I ordered them for the Ram as well. They got the chip placement perfect, the output and cutoff is very nice and I have yet to be blinded. I have them in both the low and high beam positions on both the Fusion and the Ram, the highs on both are regular reflector style halogen housings and these LEDs perform amazingly well.

I'd HIGHLY recommend these. They fit in the housings nicely without the need to cut as well.

View attachment 520113

I'll have to get some night time output pictures but here's the pattern of the lows
View attachment 520116
Do they offer these in H11 for the quad housing? Went back to those while I customize my projectors. Forgot how much halogens suck lol.

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with HIDs outperforming LEDs. Lots of testing to confirm this. Keep in mind that HIDs need a warm up period and make them unsuitable for high beam use. By the time the HID has warmed up, you are turning the high beam off again. LEDs are instant on and off and better for high beams.

I used Alfa to program my fogs to stay on when the high beams are on. Now I have 2 5000k HIDs and 4 6000k LEDs when using high beams. Lots of light thrown down the road or trail.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 520113

View attachment 520116
I may have to consider those someday, but you do have those clocked at nine and 3 o’clock correct, in your lowbeam projectors?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with HIDs outperforming LEDs. Lots of testing to confirm this. Keep in mind that HIDs need a warm up period and make them unsuitable for high beam use. By the time the HID has warmed up, you are turning the high beam off again. LEDs are instant on and off and better for high beams.

I used Alfa to program my fogs to stay on when the high beams are on. Now I have 2 5000k HIDs and 4 6000k LEDs when using high beams. Lots of light thrown down the road or trail.
That was one of the first things I did when I got Alpha OBD but ever since I put yellow fog light bulbs in, I don’t even use them anymore with the high beams.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Do they offer these in H11 for the quad housing? Went back to those while I customize my projectors. Forgot how much halogens suck lol.
Yep, just looked it up, they sure do. I agree, halogens suck bad. My GF has a '21 F150 STX with halogen housings. I keep trying to get her to let me upgrade it but she won't let me, she doesn't like LED or HID. *sigh* She might have to go :rofl:

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I may have to consider those someday, but you do have those clocked at nine and 3 o’clock correct, in your lowbeam projectors?
Nope, they're at 12 and 6. Do these projectors like 9 and 3 better? Haven't tried them there yet

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, they're at 12 and 6. Do these projectors like 9 and 3 better? Haven't tried them there yet
I’m sure it’s been mentioned on here once or twice about where to clock LEDs in these OEM fourth GEN projectors but I was just told to make sure my LEDs were clocked at nine and three in my highbeams. I don’t know if that’s the same for the low beams or not. I’ve never had LEDs in my lowbeams before, I’ve only had HID.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I’m sure it’s been mentioned on here once or twice about where to clock LEDs in these OEM fourth GEN projectors but I was just told to make sure my LEDs were clocked at nine and three in my highbeams. I don’t know if that’s the same for the low beams or not. I’ve never had LEDs in my lowbeams before, I’ve only had HID.
I do have my highs at 9 and 3, I'll try the lows there as well and report back. In the past with GM projectors, they all liked 12 and 6 best so I just assumed these would too. I need to pull the grill off soon to replace the emblem so I'll play with the lights then. It may be 3 weeks or so though, I leave town on a 2 week swing for work next Wednesday.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have my highs at 9 and 3, I'll try the lows there as well and report back. In the past with GM projectors, they all liked 12 and 6 best so I just assumed these would too. I need to pull the grill off soon to replace the emblem so I'll play with the lights then. It may be 3 weeks or so though, I leave town on a 2 week swing for work next Wednesday.
Well, if you’re happy with where they’re at, I would just leave em where they are. I was just saying I really don’t remember what a lot of people on here say the best clocking position is for LEDs in the fourth GEN OE projectors. That’s all I’ve heard about clocking recommendations is on the high beams or anybody that has the quad halogen open reflector headlights.

Last edited:

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Well, if you’re happy with where they’re at, I would just leave em where they are. I was just saying I really don’t remember what a lot of people on here say the best clocking position is for LEDs in the fourth GEN OE projectors That’s all I’ve heard about Hawking recommendations on the high beams or anybody that has the quad halogen open reflector headlights.
Gotcha. But now I'm curious lol. Def gonna try it and see, I am happy with them but if they could be better, that'd be great too

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, just looked it up, they sure do. I agree, halogens suck bad. My GF has a '21 F150 STX with halogen housings. I keep trying to get her to let me upgrade it but she won't let me, she doesn't like LED or HID. *sigh* She might have to go :rofl:
Good to know. Break up with her during the daytime hours so she can at least see on the way back to her house LOL.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guys, I pulled the trigger on a set of LED’s for my lowbeam projectors. Bought them from Tri County LED that was recommended to me from one of my Facebook groups. They’re made by SyneticUSA and are a CSP type LED which is what I was told you want for projectors. They’re 6000K color and supposedly 6000 lumen in brightness but overall, they’re not bad. The pictures make them look a little bit brighter than what they actually are but I guess if there was any complaints about them is how they make my projectors look like snake eyes… Lol.

I have them set to where the blades are straight up and down and the LED chips are at three and nine on the clock face and really the only dead spots they have is like right in front of the truck which is not really that noticeable and if they are, I can just turn my fog lights on and then they disappear.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0178.jpeg
    IMG_0178.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 13

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's interesting. I have the same ones in my projectors and they are great. I changed my fogs over to LED, too.

I made the changes the settings in the BCD to use LED's for the heads and the fogs and I have no problems with them.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's interesting. I have the same ones in my projectors and they are great. I changed my fogs over to LED, too.

I made the changes the settings in the BCD to use LED's for the heads and the fogs and I have no problems with them.
I didn’t have to change anything in my BCM because these have little modules in the wiring that makes them canbus friendly.

But did you clock yours the same way at 3 and 9?

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn’t have to change anything in my BCM because these have little modules in the wiring that makes them canbus friendly.

But did you clock yours the same way at 3 and 9?
Yes, I clocked at 3 and 9. Put a dab of silicone to hold them there.

Even though the LED's have the modules, I also made the changes. CANbus friendly is one thing, but the BCM also looks at current draw to determine if you have a failed light. Hence the LED, HID and xenon settings for them.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Yeah them ddm's use to be good but not so much anymore, i didnt like mine.
You posted something recently about the underground hids? Im thinking about them too but only 1 year warranty and well over 100 bucks
My underground lighting hids have been installed over 2 years with no issues. I drive at night 50% of the time and have great light output