Lets Get a Straight Answer on the Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and I usually run the supreme 7000, It was recommended to me that for my application in the tractors and my pickups that the benefit is marginal vs the cost between the 7000 and 9000

OP
OP
PNUTLT1

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline or Motul has the highest Moly and zinc content, but I would bet that almost any synthetic oil with any standard moly content, will have more film strength to prevent ticking then either of those oils in 5w20.

So if you like Royal Purple go with 5w30, it will have more film then 5w20 redline. Just get the RP with Moly, not all their oils do.

JExpress14 I appreciate being able to further the oil discussions on the board, but I also have had knowledge that has been evolving and sometimes wrong. Most of my knowledge was also old, the stuff is changing all the time. So oil God might be a tad too much, just call me an oil guy with my humble thanks. And as always, double check everything. I am really impressed with all the guys on this board finding great info on oils. This aint a one man show anymore, and the info has been very impressive. Many Hemi guys will be able to choose an oil for decades to come off what we are all finding out and putting in one place here.

Often overlooked on this board, but here is a UAO on Motul. I have said before main reason I prefer Redline over Motul is because it is an American company, but Motul is also good stuff, very robust.

UOA12.jpg

Burla what did you mean get the RP with the Moly.
Are you talking about adding an additive in the Oil?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Royal Purple has a different lineup, one of them does not have Moly. I forget which one someone chime in will ya. If I had to guess their API stuff doesn't have moly but the HPS does.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't go wrong with Redline

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I can't fuggin wait til February, going up to Redline 5w30 and a RP filter and doing another two year OCI with UOA's. Will have some solid answers in 2018 :)

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just received my oil sample kit today from Blackstone , in a couple weeks I'll have 5k on my Redline 5W - 30 oil .
I'll be posting up the results on the 4th Gen Syn thread .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only 5k miles & about 6 mo's on my sample , but pretty solid results coming soon ! I won't be changing for a few k more miles , then I'll be adding 2eq qts of Redline 0W - 40 to my 5qts of 5W -30 Redline . If all goes well in aprox 18 months I'll be posting up my oil sample results of of the oci with the Redline 0W -40 ! More solid results !

RParrJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Black Lone Star Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am at 72k miles and want to switch to synthetic just to prolong life of my engine. Any suggestions as to the process at this stage in the motor's life?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RParrJr read the syn thread to make a choice. Forum users here like Penzoil Ultra, Redline, Amsoil SS, Mobil 1, and some others. There is a lot to consider, group 5 ester base (Redline or Motul), group 3 hydro crack (mobil 1 and most syns), group 3 gas to liquid (Ultra), group 4 oils like Amsoil SS, etc. If you want hyper cleaning polar molecules try ester, if you want the longest oil change interval try Amsoil SS, if you want economical choice but still great oil go Mobil 1, etc. Consider going up t 5w30, and consider a micro glass filter, it will go a year easy and no paper filter will. I run Redline Oil along with the two guys previously and many forum members, and the only filter I will run is Royal Purple. See my mini review towards the end of the syn thread. But the cost if off putting for some. It is hard to argue with the Mobil One deal at costco when they are on sale every other month, 27.99 for 6 qrts pretty darn good argument to run that oil. Just consider 5w30, you will get better film strength kinda important for our Hemi's IMO. Also, I think most forum members say choose an oil with Moly in the additive package. Ask me about what oil you are thinking about and I will point you to see the moly levels if you don't know how. Read this, hemi lifters are prone to tick, moly is needed to protect them when they are dry. Some oils do not have moly, such as Valvoline.

Nothing you need to do but change the oil. If you use a plastic bag over the filter, you can minimize drip.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am at 72k miles and want to switch to synthetic just to prolong life of my engine. Any suggestions as to the process at this stage in the motor's life?
Do you have an oil catch can ?
Make your own choice Sir , but at least read this ....
www.oilcatchcan.com

Then maybe visit this ....
www.eliteengineeringusa.com

Imo. And Sir Know that this is just my opinion. ..
Run a quality oil such as REDLINE , I use a 30 wt oil . Lots of other quality oils on the market today ...just sayin ..

A quality oil filter is as important as the oil you choose ....
I use and recomend a 100% synthetic media oil filter with a proven ..oil drain backup valve ... many available. , I choose the Royal Purple 10-48 .

Hope this helps Sir !

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mr RParr: I am curious---> What brand & viscosity of oil have you been using for the first 72k miles? As well as oil filter?

Does your 5.7L at this time have any Ticks/Clacks/knocks/Womps/Clicks/Donks?

RParrJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought the truck brand new in 8/2012 and have used the same lube shop for 1o years. I have been using their featured oil Havoline 5w-20 and the basic filter provided by them. I have tried to keep the oil changed at a basic interval of 3-5k. I do not currently have a catch can, but will be ordering from BT next month.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So here is your oil in Synthetic. Looks pretty good except TBN level which is very important. You TBN level determines the length of time you can run your oil. However, if you stick with your oil change interval of 3 to 5k miles, you wont have issues. I'd say you would be good to around 7k-7.5k miles with a syn filter with that Halvoline Synthetic.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Reason I ask: I have 2 close friends who own Ram trucks one with I think close to 200K miles on her and the other is right at 123K if i remember right... They are camping friends from Texas... For the life of me I can't remember what years... Both trucks still look like the day they drove them off the dealers lot! Except for a handful or more Mods... Both have the 5.7L... Very Very Well maintained tow vehicles...

They both use and have since new-->PYB! Kyle uses 5W-30 and Robert uses 10W-30 now...We have talked about this many times... Both are always trying to prove to me that synthetics are not necessary which I know that they are not in most cases... But it is always a kewl conversation... But their motors have never had an issue as well as being very quiet and smooth... I think i remember both them talking about doing 7K mile OCI...

Just wanted to share that short bit of info... I honestly don't have any Documented Data showing that synthetic oils help prolong the life of a daily driven motor... If the motor is properly maintained... PYB is loaded with moly especially the 10W-30...

I myself feel better using synthetic oils but I honestly don't know if they are absolutely necessary in a daily driver... There are millions of autos on the road today with well over 200K miles and still running like they day they were new with never a drop of synthetic oil used... I just don't want owners to become too narrow minded...

RParrJr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the feedback. I have not used synthetic in the past. The Havoline used is just regular motor oil. Do I need to do anything specific if I want to switch over to synthetic as in flushes or anything?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks for the feedback. I have not used synthetic in the past. The Havoline used is just regular motor oil. Do I need to do anything specific if I want to switch over to synthetic as in flushes or anything?

No!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PYB is pretty much the holy grail of dino oil. A good TBN, low noack, good amount of Moly, high calcium, Boron.....I could go on. Plus its relatively cheap!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
All major otc oils are compatible, no issues, just choose and pour.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
PYB is pretty much the holy grail of dino oil. A good TBN, low noack, good amount of Moly, high calcium, Boron.....I could go on. Plus its relatively cheap!

If I had not brain washed myself at an early age {16} by watching all those Forumla 1 races and M1 commercials with the Oil in the Pan being heated... I would for sure be using PYB in all the family autos now with all the information I have read...

If the jug does not say Full Synthetic or 100% Synthetic I just can't seem to pick it up!! I really think I do need Serious Therapy..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca