Lets Get a Straight Answer on the Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Everyone,

Okay so I see that there is many post talking about the best synthetic oil for the 5.7 Rams.
I see that some oils take away the Hemi tick and some give the Hemi tick.
But I cant get a straight answer. :roflsquared:

So my question is which oil brand for a 4th Gen Hemi, will take away/prevent the Hemi tick.

I seem to be getting lost between Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, and Motul.

I believe the one with the higher Moly Content will prevent it from ticking.
Which one has the highest moly content to prevent knocking at startup and the Hemi tick.

Thanks
:favorites13:

hsousa88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dunno.

But no tick with amsoil at 20K km's.

Reactions: SyN

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
21,000 on mobil 1 5w-20, no tick yet, the only thing that may help a tick is a ester based oil like redline, nissan had a similar ester oil for valve train noise.

The best thing for these engines IMO is a high flow oil filter with a hefty silicone anti drain back valve that seals up properly.

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my engine had ticked since new. i drained the factory fill at around 2000 miles and have used Redline since. within a couple of normal drives, the tick was almost completely gone.

oh yeah, and i use a RP oil filter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run royal purple and never have had a tick. Im at 54k miles

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline/RP filter cured mine back when we were trying to act with the confines of using 5w20, now I would say just try 5w30 and any brand with good moly, even more film strength and that is what you are looking for.

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
21,000 on mobil 1 5w-20, no tick yet, the only thing that may help a tick is a ester based oil like redline, nissan had a similar ester oil for valve train noise.

The best thing for these engines IMO is a high flow oil filter with a hefty silicone anti drain back valve that seals up properly.

Which filter would that be?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm am Always open minded and will spend hours listening to thoughts and suggestions and take them all into consideration... I have never said I was dead set on using a 30wt version for the duration of my 5.7L life...

This oil has me really thinking! Is this too much Moly! Zinc is a bit low!
Mazda 0w20 moly version VOA | ****** Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Though a bit hard to find! Not really cheap! Compared to M1 EP 0w-20! I like what I see in the total package! Alot of comments below this VOA that interest me... TBN is only 7.7 so I don't know if a full years OCI is possible!

Amazon.com: 1QT MAZDA FULL SYNTHETIC 0W-20 GF-5 WITH MOLY ENGINE OIL: Automotive

Just another option!

PNUT: From what I have gathered from reading and reading and reading-->Some Hemis will get the tick and some will not! I have watched many youtube videos of hemis still on the dealers lots during test drives and the buyers are videoing the engine at idle with the a very loud ticking sound... Be it noisy injectors or lifters I have no idea... Burla has spent many hours of his life spreading the word about Using a Top Synthetic or Conventional Oil with High PPM of Moly and a True Synthetic Media oil filter--->His results are Very Impressive... Owners of the 5.7L & 6.4L with the MDS system should Heed his Advice!!! If you have serious questions PM him... I'm sure he will not mind helping you make your choice...

I also think and believe that Not One of these Hemis are created Perfect! Not one is exactly like the other! So every owner will have different results with the same products used... Key is to adapt and be accessible to change to find what creates a quiet smooth running hemi...I will offer as much advice as I can to those that ask...

Last edited:

Juvenator93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I first took my truck in for an oil change after startup it had a loud tick. The dealer said it was normal, I replaced the oil with Royal Purple and the filter with a K&N and no tick

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well Syn is right I don't mind, but I'm pretty sure we all know what I know at this point. I don't have much more to add then say yes if you have Hemi tick I would suggest Redline 5w30 with a RP filter, and if no tick I say 5w30 PUP with a RP filter. By chance you don't have a tick and the most important thing to you is a long oil change interval, Amsoil SS 5w30 and a RP filter is the way to go. If you just want a cheaper oil that is probably very close to be equal to all of the choices above, I say 5w30 PYB and a RP filter. And as always if you are most worried about following the OEM recommendations, either PYB, PP or PUP 5w20 is the way to go. This wasn't what I thought we I first set out, but with all of the current knowledge and forum experience, I have nothing past this. The future will tell if the answer might be an oil even heavier the 30 weight, we will have to follow SYN and RLK experience with that. Also costco deal on M1 is another option that belongs up here somewhere as Motul as well. All of those oils are obviously committed to having Moly in varying degrees. All of these oils are top of the heap in my opinion. Something for everyone.

It surely isn't as simple as just tell me one thing, there are many things to consider. Best bang for your buck, Penzoil Yellow Bottle or Mobil1 when it is on sale at Costco.

Happy Holidays fellas!

Last edited:

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
If my new hemi had a tick using the recommended oil brand & grade, would have RAM buy it back!
CA has a very strict lemon law that protects the consumer and all the paper work to file is included with the first registration.

Last edited:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If my new hemi had a tick using the recommed oil brand & grade, would have RAM buy it back!
CA has a very strict lemon law that protects the consumer and all the paper work to file is include with the first registration.
Some ticking is perfectly normal, and good luck proving otherwise.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some ticking is perfectly normal, and good luck proving otherwise.
I do have to say 5.7 Hemi is simply one of the noisiest engines I've ever heard. Over the past 2 years I've been around 5 different 5.7 Hemi's. All of them tick somewhat on startup and also tick to a degree when fully warmed up. All of them also ran like a champ.

With that said, Redline made my Hemi the quietest with Amsoil OE being a VERY close second. PYB is a close third. However none of these completely quieted it up. PP actually made my Hemi noticeably noisier to the point where I drained it after only 2000 miles. All of these oils were 5w20. If my dealer wasn't so eager to get out of warranty work I would be running 5w30 Redline and RP filter. Only reason I'm not running 5w20 Redline is its not API certified.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As posted above and many other places all these 5.7s do seem to operate and respond a bit different to mods and oil types .

I do think the oil filter has as much to do with startup tick or noises as the oil type you choose to use .

Seems to me after a significant amount of reading here on the forum and abroad , the same 3 things come up over and over that the experts and some that people consider experts through personal experiences / experiments.
What I'm posting below is simply from my reading here and abroad . I'm posting up what has been determined by many to be either the most favorable option or an acceptable option though discussion, experience, research and experiments .

#1 oil filter type .

A quality anti drain back valve "ADBV" with silicone sealing . FULL synthetic filter media material .

This is why I ultimately went with the Royal Purple 10-48 filter.

#2 Oil type .

Good or high Moly , zinc and a robust claening/ additive package . Ester base also seemed to be very sought after .

These reasons above is why I ultimately went with Redline oil.

#3 oil specs / oil wt.

This one really seems to ruffle a lot of feathers ... I could write a book on all the discussions I've read here , other forums , lab test results discussions and through Google searches on the 5.7L Hemi MDS and what Chrysler Corp has to say as well .
I'm not gonna elaborate much on all of that ..

The above info is why I ultimately went with a 30wt. Oil . Spacifically Redline 5W -30 oil

I've never had the "hemi tick " @ startup or @ operating temp ; however, I did always think my 5.7 was a loud running engine .

I can tell you this with absolute certin knowledge of my personal experience with my 2014Ram 4X4 QC 5.7L with a 6 speed .
When I installed the RP 10-48 Filter with 7 qts of Redline 5W -30 wt oil my 5.7L has never ran smoother or more quiet in the previous aprox 26k !
In my garage with doors shut I can here my radiator fan blowing . Never heard my fan before .
I've pulled up beside other 1500 Rams with the 5.7L at a stoplight with my window down and I hear their hemi over mine .
I've got a little over 3k on this oil & filter and I've had Zero issues no drop in mpgs , no codes and MDS works like a champ . I'm **** as hell and I watch Temps , pressures and mpgs like a hawk . I believe I have a good set up for my 5.7L.
I checked my oil a couple days ago while gassing up and on the dip stick it looked like the day I put it in .
As alluded to above on Burla's post , I'll be experimenting with 2 qts of Redline 0W -40 added to 5qts of Redline 5W -30 on my next oci , this mixture will give me aprox a 3.5W-33 weight oil .
The advantage I'm hoping to get by adding the 2 qts of 0w -40 is a more robust additive package , a slight increase in viscosity and a slight increase in film strength.

Sorry for the long post , remember these are my opinions and experience / experiment. I won't tell anyone what they should or must use , just putting this out there for the read and to help others make their own informed decision.
Hope this helps !

Last edited:

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to start a different thread, but since there seems to be plenty of oil threads already - I wanted to throw this out there - on the oil. Now this is just a perception and may very well be unsubstantiated and wrong. I just changed my oil and went 5w-30. After about 300 miles it seems (emphasis on "seems") that it pops into Eco mode a little harder. I know you guys know what it sounds like right when the Eco mode kicks in. My perception, and it may very well be imagined or even wrong - is that it hits or pops or (insert your own adjective) a little harder into Eco mode with 5w/30. Nonsense? Cooler weather? Perhaps. But in my truck it seems different. Not enough to go swapping oil. But I may go back to the 20 wt on the next oil change.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Saltillo: I have not noticed this...Maybe the MoS2 has something to do with it...If you switch back to a 20Wt & notice a difference please share!

My manual says I can use a 30wt if a 20wt is not available so I am using that other option given to me...

Last edited:

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Syn. It may be imagined. Like when you swap in a K&N for the paper filter and you think you picked up 1hp. That kind of thing :)

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There is tons of great info in the synthetic oil thread about this and those who have been able to fix/lessen the tick. Like was stated earlier, good quality synthetic oil with a synthetic media filter is a great first step. There are additives like MOS2 that can have additional benefits with ticking as was the case in my 2015 Ram