Lifter failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I wonder if there aren't several lifters that have poorer lubrication than the others since we have not seen failures of all the lifters simultaneously. Something like being at the end of the oil galley pressure to the pushrods, so getting the least oil flow?

It would be interesting to have a statistical distribution of which lifter locations have failed. I'd wager Stellantis has it. Doesn't change the lubrication bandaid strategy developed by Burla - just observing when identical machine elements don't wear uniformly. If random lifters are defective, we would expect failures across any cylinder.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
if they are gonna fix it id drive the crap out of it and get it fixed

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does using 5w30 void the warranty?

I don't know its pretty loud in person, it can be heard from 15 feet away. I don't think my phone camera did it justice.
There is what voids warranty, and what a dealer says voids a warranty. Many times a dealer will ignore the law and go by the book. Under M&M warranty act they technical cannot deny any claim unless they can prove what you did caused the fail. So bottom line don't give them any reason to allow them off the hook for this well known issue. friendly advice partner...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I went to the dealer once for a suspension fix, the dealer told me the condition didn't rise to a warranty issue and they would not touch it. I won 13k on a lemon law case for that very dealer denial. Judges do not like auto dealers on warranty issues and they know it, take any denial straight to a lemon law lawyer. This is not for the OP, because he isn't there yet, but in general for anyone. If someone tells you to eat a t-e-r-d sandwich, say no thanks I'm not hungry, but you can talk to my lawyer since you have known issues with your vehicles. The issue for me was a single bolt, but the bolt was a known issue, and I was unjustly rewarded because of the fool dealer. Never take what a dealer says as gospel, it isn't.

OP
OP
LuFc92

LuFc92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: Dealership called saying that i have to show all receipts of oil changes and maintenance before they will touch it. So i have to find 4 years of oil change receipts which i know i don't have because I've moved so many times. Any guidance on this?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Legally they cannot do this, again MM says they have to PROVE you didn't maintain it, it is not up to you to prove you did in court. However, this is were you may be screwed, your truck hasn't thrown a code yet, and until it does, I doubt they would fix this anyhow. As long as I have been here I believe I have heard of one single case where a dealer fixed tick without a code, so I don't like those odds. With this knowledge, handle this humbly.

You can tell them what you said here, you moved and you don't have the info, but tell them you know this is a known issue and appeal to their sensibilities. If that fails, you still want to politic, because you still want them to accept responsibility for their POS hemi cam bulljive.

That is when you tell them under Magnuson Moss they have to prove the oil caused the damage despite that they know good and well these cams are a known issue and once you hire a lawyer you will see it through period.

Now, I suggest you do this without any anger in your voice, but rather matter of fact. Again, show anger they may just punt and tell you to ****, so be professional in my humble opinion. It wouldn't hurt to be a little whiney to be honest, tell them you trusted ram you can't afford this hemi tick lifter issue, try and guilt them into it. Whatever it takes to get it done without getting angry.

sorry for your troubles

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you went to a court case your lawyer would send you to a shop where they would pull the oil galleys and show their condition, and you would get paid back for that. But again, I'm not sure a ticking engine would qualify without a mis fire. And I would do this in person to the service manager and ASK him his name!! Then introduce yourself, and call him by his name repeatedly.

There is an outside chance a dealer already saw this post, thus why I wouldn't have done this with a picture of your truck and/or location. Also, how many ram dealers are in your area, might have to try a couple as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sorry man I just seen your in Canada, I would wager Canada has a different warranty, I don't know what to tell ya, magnasum moss may not apply there, damn.

OP
OP
LuFc92

LuFc92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far I've managed to find two reciepts so not off to a great start. My bank wasn't much help in locating transactions as the store chain i bought my oil from over the years need the the exact date and store location to find my purchases.

Funny thing is I've bought all my oil filters from the dealerships in the area .

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry man I just seen your in Canada, I would wager Canada has a different warranty, I don't know what to tell ya, magnasum moss may not apply there, damn.
I was told in the us when i bought my truck that canadian trucks dont have a waranty however they also didnt know my truck was canadian and they have waranteed atleast the third brake light and some faulty key fobs. I got a strange dealer

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for all those citing MM I would say the dealer absolutely has the ability to make you show proof of oil changes. Always keep a file folder with receipts and dates and mileage. You can go to the RAM owners site and document everything there as well and that is also connected to RAM

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 3.06.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 3.06.16 PM.png
    435.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 6.28.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 6.28.38 PM.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 18

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's always a good idea to keep records, but dealers need no reason to deny claims here, they unjustly do it all the time. If they didn't, I wouldn't have the 13k I have in my pocket when I sued their silly a z z. It is very easy to determine if lack of maintenance caused the issue, sludge, testing the oil, or pitting from acid buildup. If you dont have any of these, it isnt oil related. but further then that, this is a known issue, a judge will not favor fca on this.

OP
OP
LuFc92

LuFc92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've moved so much that these things get lost on the way. I've never had this problem before with any other manufacturer when my vehicle has been under warranty.

Chasing receipts from years ago around the city isn't exactly how i imagined this would go. I will update again next week hopefully with some actual worthwhile news for you guys.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2021 Ram Truck with 985 miles.
lifters are clacking away!!
Dealer told me it’s common.
Have to wait for complete failure??
Last RAM truck.
Stick with my old MOPARS made here with USA METAL!!!
340/383/426/440 BEST MOPAR MOTORS EVER!! OK I will throw in the weak 318:)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have a 2021 Ram Truck with 985 miles.
lifters are clacking away!!
Dealer told me it’s common.
Have to wait for complete failure??
Last RAM truck.
Stick with my old MOPARS made here with USA METAL!!!
340/383/426/440 BEST MOPAR MOTORS EVER!! OK I will throw in the weak 318:)
Take it to dealer and collect receipts right away, force them to put in writing the will not fix it. You have rights, look up lemon law lawyer. A dealer refused to fix my chevy for an issue they said didnt rise to the level of warranty and I won 13k. Don't eat their ******* sandwich, make them eat yours. It isn't the steel but before you get into a lubrication strategy that shows what this issue is, you need to address this legally through the process. Let your inner tiger out, show them they were wrong for them thinking you were the prey.

If they wont memorialize anything, go see lemon law lawyer asap. It costs you nothing.

Rick57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey everyone i have the good old lifter failure on my 2017 Ram 1500 with the Hemi engine. 66000 Kms on the clock running on Redline 5w30 for the two most recent oil changes.

I have been driving without the MDS on for the last 26000 Kms as well.

So the noise started maybe a couple of months ago but i will note that it hasn't always been there, its almost like it came and went intermittently until this week i could hear it quite loudly so i decided to get it into the dealership.
I also took a video of the noise just incase.

So i dropped the truck off yesterday, went through the issues with the service department and left it with them. Today i got a call with the typical could not duplicate the noise, everything is good. So i went to pick it up and lone behold they bring it around and as soon as i walk outside i can here that tapping/knocking noise. I go back and grab the tech and he comes out and almost instantly says lifter failure.
They are keeping it but who knows how long it will take to get fixed with all the supply issues going on. They told me i could still drive it until they get the parts but im very unsure of this?

If someone could tell how to upload videos, i got a good video of the noise for future reference. Most videos out there are pretty much leaking manifold videos whereas i actually caught the lifter failure.
I have 2021 Ram 1500 with 4100 miles and I'm not happy at all with the knocking/clicking noise coming from my 5.7 hemi. My 2009 wasn't nearly as bad even after 187k...feeling like I should've kept it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have 2021 Ram 1500 with 4100 miles and I'm not happy at all with the knocking/clicking noise coming from my 5.7 hemi. My 2009 wasn't nearly as bad even after 187k...feeling like I should've kept it.
So much for their vaunted 2017 "improvements" (lifter redesign and new supplier).

The fact that failed lifter rollers were test for proper metallurgy and hardness and passed, still leads me to believe this is a fundamental poor lubrication issue that varies by tolerance stackup from engine-to-engine production variability. The only evidence we have is the frequency and types of failures reported, cause Stellantis / FCA / Chrysler ain't talking.

This is why we're on our own and lubrication strategy is critical in reducing failure probability. Notice I said "reducing", not elimination. Diesels have their own problems, from BOSCH CP4 high pressure fuel pump early failures in the Cummins (and most other brand) engines, to bearing and egr falures in the Italian EcoDiesel. There is no issue-free engine anymore, due to the complexity of all the add-on EPA CAFE & emissions-control systems.

I know GM has issues as well, but unsure about Ford - have not heard much in the way of reports on their 6.2L V8 (the Ram 6.4L competitor) or the new 7.3L V8, or their new Ford-made Diesel. Their trucks aren't nearly as crude as they used to be either.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op,

You're in Canada, you can't produce receipts. And you have the tick but no codes. You are sol, change the oil back to 5/20, get a different filter, throw in some lubiguard and drive the truck.

It will either break, or the noise will be something you live with.

Either way, you will pay for repairs and driving the truck is not going to change repairs cost by a great deal imho.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My question is; how do warranties affect used purchases? Say I buy a used 2020 ram with 25K miles and it starts ticking 1000 miles later and FCA starts asking for oil change receipts, what happens then?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93