Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Griffy45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello guys, I have a lightbar to install on my 2013 ram 1500 sport (projector headlights). I want the lightbar to come on with the high beam headlights.

I have a wiring harness from auxbeam (JD1912 relay). The harness has 3 wires on the end for a switch (Blue, White, Black).

The Blue wire will turn the lightbar on when touching a power source (after harness is wired to battery). And will also come on if Blue is touching White. (I assume white is power)

Has anyone ever cut the highbeam wire and spliced in the ‘Trigger’ wire to make this work? Or is it a bad idea. Thanks

Attachments

• 620A5179-FAD5-453B-8F09-5CAF6054BBFA.jpeg
    620A5179-FAD5-453B-8F09-5CAF6054BBFA.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 3

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Typically, automotive relays use the pin numbers as seen on your relay, why the crazy number scheme I don't know. But pins 87 and 30 become conductive when the relay coil is energized by 12 volts on pin 86 and pin 85 is the relay coil ground. You can search the term "automotive relay numbers" to find the info. The color of the wiring you have isn't standard so you will have to trace back the wire to the relay to see which colors are on which numbers.

Tapping a wire is never a good idea unless you can make a water-tight splice. If you do not have the products to do that I suggest looking in your manual to see if the high beams have their own fused circuit. If so, use a fuse tap to pull power that can be used to energize the relay.

OP
OP
G

Griffy45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rams do not have their own high beam fuse which is my problem. I’ve used fuse taps with other vehicles in the past. Also the blue wire is the only one that goes into 85

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello guys, I have a lightbar to install on my 2013 ram 1500 sport (projector headlights). I want the lightbar to come on with the high beam headlights.

I have a wiring harness from auxbeam (JD1912 relay). The harness has 3 wires on the end for a switch (Blue, White, Black).

The Blue wire will turn the lightbar on when touching a power source (after harness is wired to battery). And will also come on if Blue is touching White. (I assume white is power)

Has anyone ever cut the highbeam wire and spliced in the ‘Trigger’ wire to make this work? Or is it a bad idea. Thanks
I did back in 2015 and I've had zero issues with it so far. I tapped the High-beam wire for switched relay power just like you are wanting to do. I also put it in a three-way switch so I can run it off, on, or on with high beams. As long as you are using a relay it's a safe setup (the relay handles the power and the tap into the high beam is just a signal for the relay to energize the circuit).

OP
OP
G

Griffy45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thank you for the input! How do you run a 3 way circuit for your lights? I would be really interested in doing that

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Awesome thank you for the input! How do you run a 3 way circuit for your lights? I would be really interested in doing that
It's been a while so I wouldn't be comfortable telling you the wiring diagram (because I did what you are doing and asked around) but I used a line tap to the high beam wire on the driver's side as the trigger for the "on with high beam" .

I used this switch...

3 POS SWITCH RED https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O3HDA26?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And this wiring harness...

RIGID INDUSTRIES - 13 Foot Wiring Harness, Fits 40 inch to 50 inch E Series Pro Light, Fits 20 inch to 54 inch RDS Series Pro Lights, Off Roading Accessories, Easy to Install (40190) https://a.co/d/j1KaWrB

These threads might be helpful...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357