Looking for opinions for exhaust setup/placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay so my Ram has the single exhaust exit so there for no cut outs in the bumper and only one resonator as well.. I plan on running the spin tech 9000 but I'm not sure if I should run the single in dual out and have them ran out the back with some nice tips and no resonators and hope it's not too loud or run the single in/out with a Vibrant ultra quite resonator and dump it over the axle next to the spare tire.. My Nissan Titan was catless with JBA long tube headers, a custom Ypipe, borla XR1, vibrant UQ and then a huge resonated DC tip dumped next to the spare tire and that thing was still crazy loud even with the UQ because of the headers and no cats.. I wont be doing anything like that for some time but I do not want to deal with drone again and I'm already battling the wife about doing the exhaust on this new truck after what all I did to my last one that she didn't like so much, especially after doing 4 custom exhausts on it in 5 years cause I was never completely happy with it.. lol

Anyway sorry for going on and on but the inner debate is driving me batty and I'm ready to get something ordered already..

Thanks in advance

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of choices,, No 'one size fits all' answer,,
Good luck!

OP
OP
Kjz3Ro

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So no one knows what's best to run on a Hemi Ram that has a single exit? As in keep it single or run it duals? Not looking for straight up answers just opinions.. Like "hey I did this but it droned" or "if you run it out the back it will be best because" know what I mean.. I don't want to spend $350-$500 4 or 5 times again like my last truck.. Once and done would be nice for a change.. A catback would be pretty easy but I want the spin tech muffler and catbacks are pricy as hell anyway..

Here's how my Titan was done..

Attachments

• tiny new.jpg
    tiny new.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 136

Talon_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You're over thinking this. Do whatever you want its your truck.
But if you want dual run it from the headers back and use an x pipe.

OP
OP
Kjz3Ro

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're over thinking this. Do whatever you want its your truck.
But if you want dual run it from the headers back and use an x pipe.

I'm just trying to save some heart ache and money so I don't pick something and have it welded on and it's not what I wanted and have to have it redone again.. If my truck came with the factory duals it wouldn't be an issue because I would just do the muffler swap and be done with it because it would have the dual resonators before the tips already.. I know what that sounds like because a guy on here already has it.. I'd like to have duals ran and put the vibrant resonators before the tips but them things are $100 a pop.. I'm trying to stay around $375 installed that's why I'm asking here and trying to do some recon first before I order what I need .. :superhack:

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Single vs dual. It's just looks. The single 3" tailpipe flows the same as dual 2.5" pipes.
Change the muffler, keep the resonator, put a nice looking tip on your tailpipe and call it a day.

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im running borla s type cat back. Couldnt be happier. They are single in dual out. No drone. Not loud. People always tell me *well you have borla why doesnt it sound loud* well, louds a decible rating not sound. Most guys running flowmaster or magna etc. I think it sounds like **** imo. Like you can hear the metal vibrating in the muffler. If you want it to purr and no drone. Buy Borla or corsa.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had a single side exit. I went with a borla cat back but wasn't happy with the sound. I'm running a magnaflowv14" now. Im happy with it. I also have bbk short tube headers and a magnaflow y-pipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 151
OP
OP
Kjz3Ro

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Figured I'd update this thread instead of making a new one.. Got something in the mail today... Spin tech super pro street 9000! :naughty: Hope to have it installed tomorrow but Friday at the latest..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 216

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's exactly what my 14" mufflex looked like, and it should be fairly loud!

Except mine came without the moronic label identifying which side is the inlet lol

toyv84x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought I had some home made crap on my hemi but after a wash and bit of metal polish turns out I have stainless cat back Borla. I thought it sounded good. The tips were orange / rust / oxidised and I thought it was all mild steel rubbish but came back to mirror finish with some autosol. The route of the second pipe exit is around the spare and hangs down a bit: The twin tips are knocked out of their original position but I can fix that.
Smooth sound and no popping or rattles

Attachments

• Borla.jpg
    Borla.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 37

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I myself just did the famous muffler swap. Once I heard the Carven AR-1 on a 5.7L I was Sold! Nothing but pure muscle car sound!

The thing is-->Everyone's ears are tuned differently...Every Ram owner knows what type of sound they are after...I found mine! No Poping or Raspy Tone...Just Smooth Flowing straight through design--->With a some what Tame Roar... Until the 5.7L is opened up! No other muffler that I have heard has this sound--> Which is what I was truly after!

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's exactly what my 14" mufflex looked like, and it should be fairly loud!

Hmm. That would be the first time I heard someone describe the appearance of a Spintech as 'exactly what my 14" Mufflex looked like"

Would you happen to have any pics of your 14" Mufflex? The ones I've seen are oval-bodied and look nothing like the Spintech 'box',,,