Looking for washing/detailing advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys. Newbie to the forum here. I’m looking for some advice on cleaning my 1 year old truck. I’ve been taking it to car washes and wasn’t to start washing it myself to preserve the paintwork.

I have a large driveway with access to a hose and I’ll be purchasing a pressure washer.

I’m looking for advice on the washing process and the products that people use/recommend.

I want to start washing at least once a week, but how offers should I be waxing/polishing?

Basically what is people’s preferred order and method of keeping their truck shiny and clean whilst also protecting the paintwork?

Thank you.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At the top of this section are a couple of threads regarding some of those exact questions. They should offer some great ideas and techniques to use. There are some basic things you need to start with--2 buckets, a grit guard, a good automotive car wash soap, and lots and lots of microfiber towels. Remember that wax protection lasts about 3-4 weeks whereas a sealant will last about 6 months. Lots of people are now talking about and using a ceramic coating. There is plenty of reading material about coatings here--autopia. Every member has their own favorite product/s they use and we all swear the product we use is the best, longest lasting, cheapest and easiest to use. You just got to weed through all the proclamations and chose what works best for you, your truck and your weather conditions. Specific products can be found at a couple of our vendors here on the site and at autogeek and autopia.
Jay

OP
OP
Seanbeck1

Seanbeck1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At the top of this section are a couple of threads regarding some of those exact questions. They should offer some great ideas and techniques to use. There are some basic things you need to start with--2 buckets, a grit guard, a good automotive car wash soap, and lots and lots of microfiber towels. Remember that wax protection lasts about 3-4 weeks whereas a sealant will last about 6 months. Lots of people are now talking about and using a ceramic coating. There is plenty of reading material about coatings here--autopia. Every member has their own favorite product/s they use and we all swear the product we use is the best, longest lasting, cheapest and easiest to use. You just got to weed through all the proclamations and chose what works best for you, your truck and your weather conditions. Specific products can be found at a couple of our vendors here on the site and at autogeek and autopia.
Jay

Thank you. I’m new to the site so need to get better at searching the forums, but I’ll take a look at the threads at the top of the page!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is some good info contained in some of those threads. If you have specific questions about a technique or a specific product I bet we can come up with an answer for you---welcome to the "group" Glad to have you
Jay

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey guys. Newbie to the forum here. I’m looking for some advice on cleaning my 1 year old truck. I’ve been taking it to car washes and wasn’t to start washing it myself to preserve the paintwork.

I have a large driveway with access to a hose and I’ll be purchasing a pressure washer.

I’m looking for advice on the washing process and the products that people use/recommend.

I want to start washing at least once a week, but how offers should I be waxing/polishing?

Basically what is people’s preferred order and method of keeping their truck shiny and clean whilst also protecting the paintwork?

Thank you.
For myself, I've used Groits wax / shine products for over 2+ decades. Yes, they are very expensive! Clay, wax, polish, protective.

Now, I'd not recommend washing weekly. All of its want nice shiny trucks. We need to let the water dry from the truck after washing. This water is more than what we see. Weekly washing might not allow complete drying, even if you live in the south. Not allowing a complete dry, you give rust a place to begin growing.

Washing a truck once or twice a month would be a good practice. Waxing and protect the paint is the very best. Not to mention, parking in the garage. Most of us don't use our garages. My Ram won't even fit in my garage.

For me, still a huge fan of quarterly waxing, clay, polishers, and paint protection. Groits has great sprayer wax/speed shine for those in between washings.

Hope that helps...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thank you.

There is no limit to how often you can wax your truck. You could apply more wax every time you wash if you want to without any negative consequences. Keep in mind that every time you wash, you will degrade the wax that's on there, so washing every week will remove the wax much more quickly than if you washed twice a month or something similar.

How often to actually wash depends entirely on you and your environment. if you wash properly, you won't damage anything by washing more frequently.

Since you're wanting to wash with the traditional method using a hose and outside, use the two bucket method, it's safer.

I would browse around the detailing forums also as mentioned above, everything you could ever want to know is there already.

If you have specific issues or questions about products feel free to ask.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use a lower PSI electric pressure washer, a soap bucket and a clean water bucket for the washing portion. I use meguairs deep crystal wash and a microfiber sponge. To dry I use an electric leaf blower. Then a quick detailer and microfiber cloths.

I haven't had time to get into a full detail just yet. My truck is new and the paint is in good shape. I did put a coat of wax on about 2 months ago but that's it. It lasted about 5 or 6 weeks.

I am planning a full detail around the beginning of October to clay, wash, seal.

On all non-metal and glass surfaces I use 303 protectant monthly.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
One coat of wax lasted my 3 washes and almost 6 weeks for reference.

There is no limit to how often you can wax your truck. You could apply more wax every time you wash if you want to without any negative consequences. Keep in mind that every time you wash, you will degrade the wax that's on there, so washing every week will remove the wax much more quickly than if you washed twice a month or something similar.

How often to actually wash depends entirely on you and your environment. if you wash properly, you won't damage anything by washing more frequently.

Since you're wanting to wash with the traditional method using a hose and outside, use the two bucket method, it's safer.

I would browse around the detailing forums also as mentioned above, everything you could ever want to know is there already.

If you have specific issues or questions about products feel free to ask.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I see your from Toronto, where they use road salt, that and moisture will damage your truck from within.When I was living in the Chicago area where they salt, I used to wax and wash as much as possible, fix chips, get it undercoated, etc. you get about 7 good year's, kinda like a marriage! Now here in Arizona the sun is our enemy, burns the paint off. "Wax on wax off" repeat, more is better.I also use a pressure washer, on the general setting, just don't get too close with the nozzle.