Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Hey, guys, finally got around to posting this. There are several things wrong with my truck that I want to iron out, so I'll get right to it.

-Got a P0071 the other day. Ambient Air Temp sensor. Dunno how this affects the truck, should I be worried? Would the fix be to just get a new sensor? ((The temp display never WAS accurate...))

-Air not cold like it used to be. I rebuilt the blend box and had it charged with fresh pag oil and leak dye, but it wasn't cold like it used to be. And in the last few weeks I could have it on blast and still not be cold like I used to be after driving it for an hour. Got an AC pro can and adjustable gauge. Gonna check and/or fill it today once ambient gets closer to 90. Kinda hoping it's just low on freon, cuz this stuff with both help it, and then reseal any potential residual leak. Maybe the shop I took it to just didn't fill it right or whatever. Either way. Gotta do my part, right?

-Air controls not working. Even after my work, the blend box isn't fully functional. It's stuck on face and foot no matter what, which diminishes its face blowing performance, which I'm thinking is a partial cause of overall inadequate cooling performance for my truck. I've been told it's likely the controls, not the motors, but IDK. If it was the controls and not the motors, wouldn't they have all reset/defaulted to one position, routing the air one way instead of 'two'? But then again, it doesn't go to defrost, either, except maybe a little leakage that leaves fog spots outside the windshield on summer nights, so IDK. I can change between recirculate and outside air, still. Also, sometimes it'll change between those by itself and also not go back, I have to turn the knob all the way and then back to recirc to get it to go back into recir mode. Maybe it's motors AND the knobs. In any case, getting new-used knobs from the junkyard will likely never happen. The vultures have descended same day on every truck there. Is there any way to fix my controls? I DO have a soldering kit, now...

-Poor MPG. I've been getting seriously poor MPG for a while now. I've never broken 11mpg, and that's all city driving TRYING to drive easily. ((2.5k-3k rpm shifts on takeoff, no passing, speed limit only, etc. Only a half dozen 'rips' every fillup)) This fillup is starting to look like the worst, and I'm kinda fearing that maybe the AAT is part of that cause. I HAVE been smelling a fuel smell from the exhaust, so maybe it's running rich? Has 275/60R20 A/T's on stock pedals with a drop shackle. I should at least be able to get 11, right? With gas prices going up.... I really don't want to have to lose this truck, guys...

-Map light clickers broke. Pretty simple. Should I attempt a fix or instead replace them? How do I take them out/put them in without screwing them up more/again?

-Very slight front end howl. Been driving with my windows down out of pleasure lately, and I hear a howl coming from the front like that. Wondering if I should start worrying about wheel bearings or if it's just my A/T's...

-Tint. Tint's ******* me off. It's been terrible basically the entire time I've owned it, but I'm actually legit tired of this charred bubbly **** being on there and want to remove it myself. Any suggestions aside from youtube?

-Exhaust leak sound. Getting annoying. I want headers anyway. Question, though, should I go catless or catted? Heard some stories about clogged cats causing fires and reducing power by a ****load. Got recommended by a guy at the gym with a bagged truck and a static truck, both with some power adders that I should just go catless since Florida has no inspections. Thoughts?

-Lowering. I've beaten this **** to death, but I can't stop looking at lowered pics, and certain **** is sticking in my mind, **** that I've been told no on and so-forth. I've seen pics of 2/4, 3/5, 4/6, 5/7, 22's, 20's, 24's. I've seen pics of all and been told of everything. IMO, 3/5 doesn't seem low enough anymore. I can't decide on what I want until I have money to do it or can REALLY see it in person, so IDK. I'll say this. I want to still be able to do stupid **** with it like jumping train tracks at 80 (a couple inches of air) or splitting real quick out of a parking lot (drop off a curb or something), or going 25-30 over smooth speed humps (seriously, there's no thunking or anything right now, completely smooth) like I do now without breaking suspension, bottoming out, or bending rims. Pretty sure I'll have to stick with 20's? And I also want really nice fitment. Best looking aggressive truck that I've seen that may fit this was "badblackram06"s 4/6 drop on 285/50's. Now I KNOW that won't work straight up, I've been told by THE expert that it won't. But what would it take to MAKE that fitment work? Because it really looks top tier, IMO. Or maybe it was just the camera angles and I don't know WTF I'm talking about and never will until I actually DO something IRL. :/

-Bedliner. If any of you remember, I did a herculiner job a while back. I don't like it, I did it wrong, some is starting to fade and I can see the primer poking through, and some rubbed off like day 1 of use because I didn't sand the primer. So, basically, is there any way to remove it without damaging the paint on the truck's flanks and tailgate?

-Paint, body, and detailing. Remember last year I said I was gonna do a full detail? Yeah, obviously didn't do that. Hell, the thing hasn't been washed in 2 or 3 months at this point! ((Damn Florida weather and mud driveway)) Just wanted an opinion on whether you guys think I should even bother with doing a full detail before I save money to take it in for bodywork first... Needs a bend on the door fixed, some dimples fixed, a crease on the rear of the bedside near the light, and a big hit on the bottom of the other bedside near the bumper (which was roughed out) fixed too. Likely some rust repair, and, I'm just gonna say a whole repaint due to all the little touch-up crap here and there like the edges of the doors rubbing on poles and **** causing the paint to scrape off there. Probably $3k worth of paint and body down here at the shop I WANT to take it to due to having a real paint booth and being a collision shop. Remember, though, I got the truck for free, so...

-Probs gonna lose 1/3 of my income in November. Not technically about the truck, but it is pertinent. Kinda vague, but I may lose a big portion of my income in November, making me go from being able to put away $900 a month for 2/3 of the year and $600 for the other third, to basically being able to put away nothing ever and just exist as is with bills only... :/ I've been procrastinating on taking my GED and looking into maybe trade school or something, partially because I'm complacent in what I have now. I know the obvious answer, but emotions and mental health are a *****. Why can't I just be like Spock or something and already be pulling in 6 figures+ and have everything figured out and be able to do all of my hobbies and work and have a life like some crazy unbelievable ******* can do? **sigh**

-TL;DR: I'm off today because I woke up late and finally decided to get something done, kinda. I don't really expect anyone to read all of this and answer it all all at once, so feel free to pick any bolded topic and help from there. Trying not to be a burden. Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
If I were you, I would get your truck in good reliable working order before any cosmetic work. Then get an education of some sort, don’t be like most other youngsters and expect things just to work out without hard work and time, your still young. After education and you find a decent job, then spend non needed money on non needed “truck stuff”. Jmho.

In my life experience, it’s better to look at what you DO have, than what you DON’T have.

Good luck bud, life will come together for you, but you and only you have that choice.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
If I were you, I would get your truck in good reliable working order before any cosmetic work. Then get an education of some sort, don’t be like most other youngsters and expect things just to work out without hard work and time, your still young. After education and you find a decent job, then spend non needed money on non needed “truck stuff”. Jmho.

In my life experience, it’s better to look at what you DO have, than what you DON’T have.

Good luck bud, life will come together for you, but you and only you have that choice.

Part of the problem is also not knowing WTF I WANT to do. I like guns, but can't use mine much because I don't know of many places to go shooting, and because ammo is expensive. I like working out, but I'm still fat as ****, and don't know for sure 'what works' so can't qualify as a personal trainer or anything. I liked gaming as a kid but wasn't too good at it; wanted to be a video game designer for the longest time, but kinda don't care now but also kinda wanna get back into it. I like doing things to my truck, seeing the differences and possibilities, but am too poor to make some REAL **** happen with it, ya'know? And I'm not sure I'd like to ***** away all day working on normie-**** just to get it running.

So I'm kinda like, at this point, stuck between something maybe with guns, fitness, or the custom car scene. Dunno what to get into with the first, and the last would be a crap shoot, kinda left up to luck or chance. Anything artistic is like that, though, so... It makes me doubt getting into something artistic. I've considered looking into trade school, but the whole wage ***** thing comes back up. My optimal work schedule would be 10hrs a day/4 days a week with 3-weeks paid vacation a year.

What I DO have right now is the intelligence to be testing at the 12th-grade level despite never having actually gone to high school. ((The GED prep course people told me that and gave me my money back for the course saying I didn't need it. That was last year.))

I also have a hellatious ability to learn things that require mechanical skill. I basically figured out how to take my suspension apart and do my blend box for the first time from only youtube. No issues. Didn't even have to watch the vids again to put it all back together. I've taken my PC apart multiple times, cleaned it, troubleshot/installed/uninstalled software, etc.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Well I can definitely tell you this, if you don’t have a skill in something, you won’t prevail and will always work at making someone else money. If you get an education or training, you will have a better chance of coming up in this world but if you sit around keep doubting yourself, you won’t. The way to make it is to learn a skill, get good at it by working for someone in that particular field so when you f-up, it won’t cost you, then open your own small business.

I’m a humble guy so I don’t require much but the way I earned my living was by learning a few different trades in the same field, I.e construction, so I’m able to work when work is slow for that particular trade. Eventually I started my very small humble bill paying and keeping my head above water business and it keeps me busy and my family fed. Plus the ability to work when you want is also nice. So take what I’ve said and think about what you want to do, I know it is discouraging and mentally tiring but you don’t want to be 35 and not know what to do with yourself.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
you don’t want to be 35 and not know what to do with yourself.

Definitely not. For the last year I've been thinking "Mechanic work and welding/fabrication" at least as the main two. Then maybe car audio, paint and body, etc. IDK. But I'm definitely gonna have to look into it now that this **** in November is coming...

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Definitely not. For the last year I've been thinking "Mechanic work and welding/fabrication" at least as the main two. Then maybe car audio, paint and body, etc. IDK. But I'm definitely gonna have to look into it now that this **** in November is coming...

Now this is just my way of thinking, since your going to be loosing income, would it be feasible for you to downsize in vehicle form? If so, I would sell the truck, buy a small 4 banger commuter car, save up n buy something nice. That way you’ll have reliable transportation for your job/s.

You would definitely be better off in the welding/fabrication field than a mechanic, if you don’t have a family n kids, this is what I would do if I didn’t, I would go work the oil fields for a few years and come home with six figures, or underwater welding.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Now this is just my way of thinking, since your going to be loosing income, would it be feasible for you to downsize in vehicle form? If so, I would sell the truck, buy a small 4 banger commuter car, save up n buy something nice. That way you’ll have reliable transportation for your job/s.

You would definitely be better off in the welding/fabrication field than a mechanic, if you don’t have a family n kids, this is what I would do if I didn’t, I would go work the oil fields for a few years and come home with six figures, or underwater welding.

I don't plan on having kids and don't currently have any, either. I've considered selling the truck, myself. Problem is, I'm worried that I'll never be able to find a good one again. I've seen so many of these poor things destroyed... My tastes might change, but hell...

Not to sound like I'm making excuses, but I also have a storage unit full of stuff that's hard to get rid of. And a closet/corner of the room of stuff I haven't sorted out yet from my dad's passing.

By a few years, do you mean 3 or 4, or more like 7 or 8? And do you mean 6 figure income or 6 figure savings? Low, mid, or high? ((So sorry to sound like a money ****. I'm not doubting your idea at all, just curious))

Also, where the hell could I find a place out near something like that for $500 a month? That's what I'm paying now. Part of why I can live as I am and put away $ like I do.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Let me address 1 prob at a time while I re read some of the others.
What truck do you have?
Year,mileage,engine,transmission, current mods...
All helpful info for all of us to help you better.

Poor Mpg’s

Instead of shifting at 2500/3000 rpm drop back on the gas pedal more and let the truck shift at 2000. So what if others want to go around ya at the stop lights. Let em. After all it’s your gas in the tank. A complete fuel system cleaner X2 fill ups.
I’d also consider replacing the O2 sensors (all of them) this will help with rich/lean air to fuel ratio’s. Which might help with another issue that you stated. Smell of fuel/exhaust.
A new gas cap wouldn’t hurt either. The seal on the cap wears out after many years. These fuel injected motors need a semi vacuum sealed tank in order to maintain the correct pressure.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Learn a trade! I did that and landed a job that paid for my education eventually. Plus, being a machinist since I was 15 years old, I always made a lot more money than any of my friends did. At one point I made firearms too!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I don't plan on having kids and don't currently have any, either. I've considered selling the truck, myself. Problem is, I'm worried that I'll never be able to find a good one again. I've seen so many of these poor things destroyed... My tastes might change, but hell...

Not to sound like I'm making excuses, but I also have a storage unit full of stuff that's hard to get rid of. And a closet/corner of the room of stuff I haven't sorted out yet from my dad's passing.

By a few years, do you mean 3 or 4, or more like 7 or 8? And do you mean 6 figure income or 6 figure savings? Low, mid, or high? ((So sorry to sound like a money ****. I'm not doubting your idea at all, just curious))

Also, where the hell could I find a place out near something like that for $500 a month? That's what I'm paying now. Part of why I can live as I am and put away $ like I do.
If you worked the oil fields, they pay for room n board, they pay green guys 80k to start, yeah 80k! In less then 3 years you’ll have enough for a new truck, home, and extra to live, I’m not joking, they PAY big time, but it is work and cold at that!

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Agreed as a welder. Some welders that I know personally draw around $45 an hour. Welder helpers around $25-30 an hour. My brother is a welder that travels with a construction company. He makes $52 plus perdium money.
I’m retired military,retired truck driver,welder/mechanic and anything construction wise. I highly recommend welding as a career. Awesome money!!!

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Let me address 1 prob at a time while I re read some of the others.
What truck do you have?
Year,mileage,engine,transmission, current mods...
All helpful info for all of us to help you better.

Poor Mpg’s

Instead of shifting at 2500/3000 rpm drop back on the gas pedal more and let the truck shift at 2000. So what if others want to go around ya at the stop lights. Let em. After all it’s your gas in the tank. A complete fuel system cleaner X2 fill ups.
I’d also consider replacing the O2 sensors (all of them) this will help with rich/lean air to fuel ratio’s. Which might help with another issue that you stated. Smell of fuel/exhaust.
A new gas cap wouldn’t hurt either. The seal on the cap wears out after many years. These fuel injected motors need a semi vacuum sealed tank in order to maintain the correct pressure.

2005, ~116k, Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92's, Falken Wildpeak AT3 275/60r20 drop shackle, sonnax, got LED taillights sitting right here next to me that I'm about to work on, aftermarket black headlights, too, no radio because the all the ones I bought started acting up and I was tired of exchanging them.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
2005, ~116k, Hemi, 545RFE, 3.92's, Falken Wildpeak AT3 275/60r20 drop shackle, sonnax, got LED taillights sitting right here next to me that I'm about to work on, aftermarket black headlights, too, no radio because the all the ones I bought started acting up and I was tired of exchanging them.

2WD?

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
2WD?

Yes. Recently did plugs, wires, and PCV. Has a drop in K&N as of last year. Did oil at 111,300. Used Redline 5w30 and a Royal Purple oversized filter.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
If you worked the oil fields, they pay for room n board, they pay green guys 80k to start, yeah 80k! In less then 3 years you’ll have enough for a new truck, home, and extra to live, I’m not joking, they PAY big time, but it is work and cold at that!
I'm used to hard work. Not so much the cold. Humans adapt, though. I can work 10 hour days solid on a lawn crew 5 days a week no problem. As long as I have time to clean, take care of myself, and maintenance my ****, I should be okay.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When was the last time you did spark plugs and and air filter? Might help with the MPG issue. Check your tire pressure as well.

Tint is the easiest and cheapest thing to mess with. Grab some scraper razor blades with the rounded edges. You really don't want to use square edged razor blades because you will scratch the hell out of the glass if you aren't extremely careful. Also, fill a spray bottle with dish soap and water or simple green and soak the window as you peel pieces off. That helps get the glue off after the film is removed.

There are a lot of tricks you can find on youtube but you will still end up scraping the glue off anyways. Leaving the truck in the hot sun for a while will help with removing it too.

No inspection in Florida?? Catless IMO. But, you will have to have a way to tune the truck if you remove the cats. If you don't it will throw check engine lights and might run like crap.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Go get your GED then start worrying about everything else.

Also why not start your own landscaping company? You already do the work. Start doing it for yourself.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
So guys, what about the other issues I'm having with the truck, itself??
Do you have access to a scanner that can show live data? That would make your work much easier if you can see what sensors are doing what in what value.

OP
OP
Drunken Hamster

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
When was the last time you did spark plugs and and air filter? Might help with the MPG issue. Check your tire pressure as well.

Tint is the easiest and cheapest thing to mess with. Grab some scraper razor blades with the rounded edges. You really don't want to use square edged razor blades because you will scratch the hell out of the glass if you aren't extremely careful. Also, fill a spray bottle with dish soap and water or simple green and soak the window as you peel pieces off. That helps get the glue off after the film is removed.

There are a lot of tricks you can find on youtube but you will still end up scraping the glue off anyways. Leaving the truck in the hot sun for a while will help with removing it too.

No inspection in Florida?? Catless IMO. But, you will have to have a way to tune the truck if you remove the cats. If you don't it will throw check engine lights and might run like crap.

Spark plugs, a few thousand miles ago. Air filter, last year with a K&N drop in. Tires are at ~40PSI, 5psi higher than the doorjamb suggests.

Go get your GED then start worrying about everything else.

Also why not start your own landscaping company? You already do the work. Start doing it for yourself.

No money for equipment. Hard to get clients. Very competitive down here. All the immigrants drive pricing down. Gonna make a call about the GED in a minute, here.

Do you have access to a scanner that can show live data? That would make your work much easier if you can see what sensors are doing what in what value.

I do not. I've been wanting to get a Diablo Trinity T2 from Hemifever (which includes stage 1 tuning) but don't have the $640 to pony for it. If I went with the intune i3, it wouldn't show live data, but that's $470, instead.