Losing coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chargerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2000 1500 with a 360. I've had it for 10 years with only minor problems here and there. It's been basically bullet proof. Ever since I've had it, it has lost about a cup of coolant every few weeks, depending on how much I drive it. I have checked for head gasket symptoms and it doesn't seem to have any. I did a pressure test and found it had a thermostat housing leak. I fixed that and could not find any other leaks. I changed the radiator cap because I read that might be the problem. It doesn't seem to get any worse over time but it drives me nuts not to be able to diagnose it. Do I have to just live with putting in a little antifreeze every few weeks? Am i being OCD?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Think of it this way, you are refreshing your coolant system a cup at a time.

As long you keep the overflow bottle between the lines with liquid, your Ram is fine.
Possibly, you are over filling the overflow bottle & the excess fluid is just running out

OP
OP
C

chargerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the response. I'm sure you're right. It's a very minor annoyance on an otherwise awesome old truck.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 97 Silverado that drank antifreeze, and there was a slight leak somewhere in the intake gasket area. It was ingesting it a bit at a time, and when the antifreeze got low the radiator/heater core would gurgle. I replaced the intake gasket and solved that. Don’t know that much about hemis but there’s where I’d start looking.

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5.2 snd 5.9 had a problem with very small cracks between coolant passages in the heads. Not enough to cause major problems but a tiny amount of coolant would migrate into the combustion chamber. This would cause the coolant system to lose, as was said, a cup of coolant every few thousand miles. My 97 5.9 has been doing this since it was new. I just watch the overflow reservoir and add when needed. Unless you have a major leak it is nothing to get worried about.

OP
OP
C

chargerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would just keep an eye on it and just add to it, what condition is the radiator and heater core in, maybe you can bypass the heater core and see if the consumption goes away, an old remedy is to put some ground pepper in the radiator for leaks, 1/2 a shaker full to start I believe, peppercorns will work also.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could puy dye in the coolant they sell it at most auto stores then use a uv light will help find small annoying leaks.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I agree, you could do the dye and blacklight. If you drive a lot of miles it's nothing. Doubt it is your water pump weeping over ten year span but they can weep and never drip to the ground, and just burn off. I've heard of the Magnum Heads having the issue mentioned already, but I've owned three Magnum 360's and didn't have any issues.