Lost 12v constant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

driveitoffabridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My co-driver thought it would be a good idea to charge a laptop on the auxiliary plug inverter. After about 30 mins I lost power to the plug and basically all other hot 12v systems. Such as that port and trailer breaks. I'm not sure what all doesn't work but essentially everything that was a constant 12v has no power. All fuses are good and no evidence of melted wires. I'm lost. Also my dim headlights just turn off. Brights work fine Even after new bulbs. Back left brake light keeps blowing as well

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sounds like something fried in your main circuit board instead of popping a fuse. Possibly a relay but I'm not terribly sure.

OP
OP
D

driveitoffabridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please clarify what is the vehicle. This is the 5th gen forum, but your profile says 03 with a 5.9.

Are we talking about an aftermarket inverter in a cigarette lighter socket or OEM inverter?
I apologize. I thought it was just towing in general. Yes after market inverter plugged into the aux charge port under ash tray. And I have a 2nd Gen 03 5.9 3500

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
You’ll probably get more accurate answers if you can get a moderator to move this to the forum for 2003 trucks. Maybe @crash68 can help.

It has been a long time since I worked on one of those, so I’m not much help. In general I’d check all the main power distribution fuses and grounds.

What *should* have happened, assuming the socket was overloaded, is just a blown fuse for the socket. Not all the other issues.

You can get a subscription to services like this to get the wiring schematics and diagnostic procedures.

https://eautorepair.net/