Lost some coolant, would like some advice please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparoadrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5.7 hemi
Couple of days ago i had a leak from the top radiator hose - loose clamp, in the overflow tank the coolant wend down just under the low cold fill line when hot. Coolant temp was normal.
Next morning added coolant and put cap back on before starting engine, drove around , no leaks, coolant temp normal.
only thing i noticed the coolant does seem to rise up in the overflow tank a bit higher then usual when hot, but i remember it doing that on some days before anyway, maybe it depends on barometric pressure

Then i thought about what if there is air in the system, do i need to bleed it?

Now i am asking about it here if i should be worried or leave it alone and not fix what's not broken?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you engine is cold, not running

Look at the water pump
in the upper left, do you see a Plug ? That is a AIR BLEED Plug
as you fill the radiator, the coolant will run out & you can see when the air is no longer there.

Squeeze the hose a couple times when filling

If someone has rounded off that plug & made it worthless ..
Look over to the right of the water pump, there is a sensor
If you work carefully, you can remove that sensor & whatever screws into the water pump.
Fill the radiator watch for air in the coolant

Use the sealant paste, not Tape, on the threads

after about a you might look at the system for Air again

OP
OP
Moparoadrunner

Moparoadrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read about the bleed plug on the water pump but they only mention it when you are filling the coolant overflow when it is empty. does it work for bleeding after the overflow tank has already been filled? thee hoses have metal springs inside, they can not be squeezed. If the heat works fine and temperature stays normal can air still be there? Do normal drive cycles eventually expel the air anyway?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
5.7 hemi
Couple of days ago i had a leak from the top radiator hose - loose clamp, in the overflow tank the coolant wend down just under the low cold fill line when hot. Coolant temp was normal.
Next morning added coolant and put cap back on before starting engine, drove around , no leaks, coolant temp normal.
only thing i noticed the coolant does seem to rise up in the overflow tank a bit higher then usual when hot, but i remember it doing that on some days before anyway, maybe it depends on barometric pressure

Then i thought about what if there is air in the system, do i need to bleed it?

Now i am asking about it here if i should be worried or leave it alone and not fix what's not broken?
If the temps appear normal to you stop here.