Maxcare lifetime warrant... what's their end game??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
So in reality, Maxcare Lifetime warranty is not a lifetime warranty because it has an “opt out clause”. It is a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So in reality, Maxcare Lifetime warranty is not a lifetime warranty because it has an “opt out clause”. It is a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Well, an opt out clause is usually for the purchaser/owner.

But it does have a list of things that it does not cover, and a list of things that could potentially void it. Which factory warranties probably have as well, so in that sense MaxCare is no different.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

The opt out is when the value of the vehicle is less than the cost of the repair. That's pretty far down the road for most people. I know it's not offered anymore but for those of us that have it and plan on driving our trucks as long as possible, I would wager we would get our money back. I think mine was around $2300 in 2015. Aside from that mine ends in 2096.

My opinion is that they would have kept selling the lifetime warranty if they were making money on it.

Scott Nugent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At only 70K miles? This post smells suspiciously like it came from a MaxCare cubicle. Any details on what caused your 8 speed to fail at 70k miles?

Not a maxcare guy. Covered by original warranty. All they told me was that it was a valve body. Dealer had it for 3 weeks. Never towed with it at all. Things just break sometimes.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To be honest, you could probably tell them to do everything except the trans as one fix (i.e. 1 deductible payment), then go back for a second deductible payment for the trans. Since, IIRC, its the total of fixes per deductible that is added up and compared to truck value. It might not be worth 1 2 3 and 4 combined, but 1 2 3 combined and 4 separate might work.

I'm about certain the deductible is per covered problem, not per trip into the dealership so the repairs are all independent events. That being said, it's probably in the fine print that they can combine the problems for the purposes of calculating the end of the warranty but you'd still have to pay 4 deductibles for four problems.