Maybe time to sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, Guys. I’ve got my ‘17 Express Quad Cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92’s, with about 41 k on it. It’s about a 9.5 in condition. It’s a truck I haven’t used a lot lately because I put an old Jeep my wife owns back on the road. I’m getting offers of 28,500-29,000 for the rig right now from Carvana and Vroom. I know if this chip shortage ends in 6 months this truck will be at 21k, maybe. Would you sell and has anyone on here had experiences selling your truck to them? Good or bad? Thanks for your thoughts.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I have been offered more than I paid for my truck because they are simply not available on dealers lots. I am talking about businesses that need 3500 dually cannot find trucks under $70k.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey, Guys. I’ve got my ‘17 Express Quad Cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92’s, with about 41 k on it. It’s about a 9.5 in condition. It’s a truck I haven’t used a lot lately because I put an old Jeep my wife owns back on the road. I’m getting offers of 28,500-29,000 for the rig right now from Carvana and Vroom. I know if this chip shortage ends in 6 months this truck will be at 21k, maybe. Would you sell and has anyone on here had experiences selling your truck to them? Good or bad? Thanks for your thoughts.
I did the same thing in Carvana and a coupe other sites. I did not sell, only to see what they are offering and values were all over the place. I had offers above my original MSRP, but my 2018 2500 had only 6800 miles and not a scratch plus sits in the garage so that is at top condition. However, I would read fine print, which I lost interest in. They can devalue it once they show up, but I don't think you are on the hook for anything until you sign so if you won't be replacing your truck for a couple years, maybe give it a shot. If you want a new truck, any bonus on old truck will be more than lost on new one.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like a pretty dern good offer to me. If you don't need the truck right now, go for it and stash the money away. Wait for some good deal to come your way and upgrade.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Last August I sold my 2019 Laramie crew cab to Carvana. The truck was five months shy of two year lease.

Chrysler put a “normal market” end-of-lease value on the truck, and even with the remaining lease payments I pocketed almost $9k, and avoided the state sales tax if I’d sold it myself.

The Carvana process is smooth and stress-free. They picked up the truck and I had the money direct deposited next day.

With the tight inventories and supply shortages, it’s a great time to sell clean vehicles, but not so good on finding a reasonable replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all that, Guys. I’m going to recheck the price and probably sell. My brother just got a callback from Vroom and they upped their offer on his ‘19 F150 by over $1400.
Right now I’m going to the hospital 5 days a week for radiation and today was the first day I sat in my truck in 3 weeks.
Another thing is it’s due for registration and avoiding that puts another $300 in my pocket. Sounds like a slam dunk. Just have to convince my wife we don’t need a truck. ( never thought that would be hard? )

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've found Carvana does make pretty good offers. My Dad wanted a RAM pickup so I sold his 2017 Chevy truck to Carvana. I expected a low ball offer because Dad does not take care of anything and had even thought the truck was low miles it had several dents in it. The offer was really good so Carvana drove away with hit. That said I wouldn't buy a car or truck from them. They are way overpriced.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Thanks for all that, Guys. I’m going to recheck the price and probably sell. My brother just got a callback from Vroom and they upped their offer on his ‘19 F150 by over $1400.
Right now I’m going to the hospital 5 days a week for radiation and today was the first day I sat in my truck in 3 weeks.
Another thing is it’s due for registration and avoiding that puts another $300 in my pocket. Sounds like a slam dunk. Just have to convince my wife we don’t need a truck. ( never thought that would be hard? )
I pray everything goes well for you on your radiation.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I wish you the best with the radiation treatments.
Good luck with whatever you decide with the truck too.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I paid 24k for my truck over ten years ago, haven't done much, if someone offered me 20k for it, I'd tell them to pound sand. They don't make them like early 4 gens, but maybe a 2017 I would sell and buy a 2012 and have some change left over. I dunno, factory 3.92's are pretty sweet, I might be inclined to keep it just off that.

If you don't need a truck, which would never be me, but if that is you go for it. The one thing they do make well is modern sedans and some suv's.

OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, Burla. Believe me, I’ve been a truck guy since 1972 and don’t think I haven’t owned one for more than a few weeks. Gassers, diesels, half, 3/4 tons and duallies. I love the ability to go to HD and pick up the project stuff. I’m realizing that at my advancing age and decreased health that that stuff probably isn’t going to happen anymore. I’ll be hiring somebody and crossing my fingers.
I know I’ve mentioned it but I have a ‘90 Wrangler sitting here with 57k miles that’s screaming to be driven so I can have a lot of fun with that and maybe pickup a 5x8 trailer for those ‘what if’s’.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd research the hell out of anything new if you end up buying new. Stuff you never had to do in the past, but the auto manu's have done stuff to new vehicles most people don't want. And many people find out about them after they buy the vehicles.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

May the Lord be with you in your time of need, Just think positive that you're going to beat this!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ed, sorry you have to through this, good luck with everything.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best of luck with radiation sir! so I followed suit and listed all my trucks info on caravana just to see what they’d offer. I didn’t get any info from them back, but now I have random car dealers calling me wanting to buy my truck...did anyone else experience this??

Beerbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I sold my 2005 Dodge Ram through Kelly Blue Book. You can get a price from them as well. Very smooth experience

OP
OP
Ed F

Ed F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best of luck with radiation sir! so I followed suit and listed all my trucks info on caravana just to see what they’d offer. I didn’t get any info from them back, but now I have random car dealers calling me wanting to buy my truck...did anyone else experience this??

Hey, slo. I ran my truck through Carvana and Vroom twice and gotten offers within 30 seconds. Also never heard from any other follow ups.