MDS and tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65GMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2010 ram 1500 5.7 4x4 quad cab. Had the cam/lifter failure. Replaced all 16 lifters with non mds lifters and non mds cam VVT. Kit from AMS. All went good except I don't think the diablo tuner actually turned off the mds and yes I selected it. Loaded the 87 tune. ECO is still coming on the dash and very small rpm drop. Acts like it's still active. My main question is this. Is there any chance of piston to valve contact? If the ecm is still turning on the mds system and I'm running non mds lifters and cam, obvious whatever the ecm normally does isn't going to work with my cam and lifters? Also now when I plug up thr diablo it tells me truck is not stock. Takes the five minutes to load the file, but doesn't give me the option to choose any of the other tunes. Mainly at this point worried about physical damage to motor. Thanks

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2010 ram 1500 5.7 4x4 quad cab. Had the cam/lifter failure. Replaced all 16 lifters with non mds lifters and non mds cam VVT. Kit from AMS. All went good except I don't think the diablo tuner actually turned off the mds and yes I selected it. Loaded the 87 tune. ECO is still coming on the dash and very small rpm drop. Acts like it's still active. My main question is this. Is there any chance of piston to valve contact? If the ecm is still turning on the mds system and I'm running non mds lifters and cam, obvious whatever the ecm normally does isn't going to work with my cam and lifters? Also now when I plug up thr diablo it tells me truck is not stock. Takes the five minutes to load the file, but doesn't give me the option to choose any of the other tunes. Mainly at this point worried about physical damage to motor. Thanks
The ECO light has nothing to do with MDS, it just lets you know that your driving in an "ECO"nomical manner is all. In some trucks it can be turned on/off completely. As far as valve to piston contact goes it all depends on the cam specs. What cam did you go with?

OP
OP

65GMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TideFan1967 I believe the cam is stock specs as far as lift, duration, lobe separation etc. Was part of the AMS racing mds delete. Cam is non mds but VVT