mds delete kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018RMTRCK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m doing a mds delete on my truck, I’ve got a kit picked out from Moe’s performance. I can’t seem to get an answer from them about how I get the tune for the cam. Any info would be appreciated

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
What ^^^ said!
Put it in 8 manually and you're in MDS-Off-Mode.

It does come second nature after a short while.
I've been doing it for 4+ years on my Ram and it's an involuntary action now like blinking...lol.

Unless you have an issue that requires you to do surgery on your engine, put that mod cash towards something else perhaps.

OP
OP

2018RMTRCK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What ^^^ said!
Put it in 8 manually and you're in MDS-Off-Mode.

It does come second nature after a short while.
I've been doing it for 4+ years on my Ram and it's an involuntary action now like blinking...lol.

Unless you have an issue that requires you to do surgery on your engine, put that mod cash towards something else perhaps.
I started doing that a week after I bought the truck. You are correct it does become second nature after a while. Sadly I’ve developed the lifter tick, it’s bad enough I can hear it at any speed now. I’d love to put the money towards other things on the truck but that’s not an option right now.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MDS delete is right at your fingertips. Just activate your ERS, set it at 8, and forget it. You have to do that every time you get in the truck, but it takes like 2 seconds.
This. Been doing it since I got the truck, mainly because with the hilly terrain around here it never stays on for more than 30 seconds.

melvingeraldmesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2021 pw and I don't notice any difference when it is on or off. The only way I even know it has kicked on is the eco light in the instrument cluster and I can turn that off if I want.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021 pw and I don't notice any difference when it is on or off. The only way I even know it has kicked on is the eco light in the instrument cluster and I can turn that off if I want.
I can actually hear mine when MDS kicks in. There is sort of an almost sub-audible low-growling noise coming from the engine, and I can feel a difference in the gas pedal.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I can actually hear mine when MDS kicks in. There is sort of an almost sub-audible low-growling noise coming from the engine, and I can feel a difference in the gas pedal.
Same. And I also notice a delay to when it turns off. Like I'll be pressing the gas pedal down, more....a little more....more....finally it turns off, drops a gear and takes off.

I don't like it. I drive in tow/haul always.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Same. And I also notice a delay to when it turns off. Like I'll be pressing the gas pedal down, more....a little more....more....finally it turns off, drops a gear and takes off.

I don't like it. I drive in tow/haul always.
I just engage my ERS. I think doing either has the same effect.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Had a 2017, never noticed it. Had a 2019, noticed a growl like you’re describing. Currently have a 2022, don’t notice it.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a 2017, never noticed it. Had a 2019, noticed a growl like you’re describing. Currently have a 2022, don’t notice it.
It's much more pronounced on the 6.4's. Though I did notice it on my last to 2013 and 2017 5.7 as well, just not as much. I still ran those trucks in tow/haul most of the time.

avdk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Running in tow/haul prevents shifting in 8th gear. You're always running at higher revs in tow/haul.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Running in tow/haul prevents shifting in 8th gear. You're always running at higher revs in tow/haul.
I've read that, but not on mine. I've had it in T/H and when I reach about 65 MPH it shifts into 8th. I was just experimenting and that was without a trailer in tow, so I don't know if the system can tell that or not.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I've read that, but not on mine. I've had it in T/H and when I reach about 65 MPH it shifts into 8th. I was just experimenting and that was without a trailer in tow, so I don't know if the system can tell that or not.

I've never experienced that on either of my 1500's or my current 2500. Not even while towing my RV, I've seen it go in to 8th on numerous occasions...not often, but it will sometimes.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've never experienced that on either of my 1500's or my current 2500. Not even while towing my RV, I've seen it go in to 8th on numerous occasions...not often, but it will sometimes.
I'll assume that RAM does this to try to squeeze a tiny bit of extra mileage out of the truck for that CAFE BS. If I wanted a 4-cyl truck, I'd have bought a 4-cyl truck. I think someone told me that the 2023 model year is the last one that Toyota is offering the 6-cyl in their Tundra/SR5/whatever, and that next year it's only a 4-cyl that you can get.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's definitely a difference from truck to truck. We've owned five Ram 1500's with MSD. Three 5th gens and two 4th gens. It was very noticeable on one of the 4th gens (especially when switching back to 8 cyls) and slightly noticeable on the other. On the 5th gens, only one of them was noticeable. I had to really try to notice it on the other two. And with the ECO light disabled I never really knew for sure if it was on or off. Of course all that went out the window once I upgraded the exhaust LOL.

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 17, 5.7 and you can hear the lower pitch while driving at a normal pace. I have been shutting it off with the gear selector for awhile now. I will keep doing this as it feels better when off.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, I tried it again today. I put it in Tow/Haul and it was in 7th gear. I accelerated up to 65 and it jumped up to 8th, so it will go into 8th in T/H mode. Again, no trailer.