Missing Spare Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Went under the truck to start planning for a rear view camera addition and I noticed I no longer have a spare tire.

Either someone decided they needed it more than more or it broke off while driving. I have a feeling I would notice something smacking loose under the truck, but who knows.

Anyway, it looks like the cable is broken off. Has anyone had to replace this or know where to start?

Thank you50e535389b7a651f22e5848a670e10f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the old one I removed from my 2017. I took it off about 6 months ago. It’s sitting around my garage somewhere if you want it. It’s not a common thing but it’s happened before. My cable is out because I can’t run a spare under there with 35s and it was clinking around annoying me when driving

edit: you’re in Canada. I should start reading the info before posting... pretty sure it would suck paying to ship to you...

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went under the truck to start planning for a rear view camera addition and I noticed I no longer have a spare tire.

Either someone decided they needed it more than more or it broke off while driving. I have a feeling I would notice something smacking loose under the truck, but who knows.

Anyway, it looks like the cable is broken off. Has anyone had to replace this or know where to start?

Looks like the cable rotted away. 164K KM is a lot of miles though! I would check eBay.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Check your local wrecking yards,it's the same cable assembly from 09 up,might even be the same from the 3rd Gens,but I've never looked at their spare tire carrier close enough to double check.It just unbolts and comes out through the notch beside it

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I'll bet it fell off while you were driving. Just hope it wasn't on the freeway. I had an 17 year old F-150 and I was taking off from a stop light and felt a bump bump in the back and I kept driving, and I looked behind me and there's a minivan still at the light not moving.

I pulled over and went to look under my truck and sure enough it was gone, and the cable looked just like yours. So I got back in the truck and drove back to the scene and by then a cop had already pulled up. I pulled over and said that's my tire.

Thank God there wasn't any damage and no one was hurt. I went to the dealer and got another crank and put it on, not too difficult. But if you have an old truck check it because if that fell off from the freeway it can be deadly!

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lost 2 from my 92 k1500. Cable busted off twice. Once I noticed and went back and pulled the spare out of the ditch. Other time dad borrowed the truck, he didn’t noticed, I did a month later when I had a flat.

Since then, all my trucks get the spare dropped annually and the cable greased.

Our climate is a *****.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I lost 2 from my 92 k1500. Cable busted off twice. Once I noticed and went back and pulled the spare out of the ditch. Other time dad borrowed the truck, he didn’t noticed, I did a month later when I had a flat.

Since then, all my trucks get the spare dropped annually and the cable greased.

Our climate is a *****.

After I put the new winch in mine I decided to run a ratchet strap diagonally underneath the tire. Found a couple anchor points and snugged it up, so even if the cable broke again the tire would hold. I was really paranoid that it would fall off on the freeway 'because I've seen what can happen on videos. In fact I've been meaning to do that on the Ram but haven't yet.

After I put the strap on I tested it by loosening the cable, and the spare tire held up tight. also takes strain off of the cable which is the only thing holding the tire up as you're bouncing down the road.

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If I could figure out how to get it out, you could have mine for shipping. I wheeled it all the way up. I don’t need it anymore.

314ED8FA-ABE9-40C7-BB6F-D4ED9696009F.jpeg

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I lost one on an old vehicle once and the cable was all rotted out like that... I can only hope no one was behind me. Maybe we should forward this email string on to a few manufacturers. It seems like the hardware holding these spare tires up is a bit "under-engineered".

OP
OP
NovaScotia Ram

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had no idea that this is a very common issue.

I was looking last night and can grab a used spare from a junkyard for ~$50, and I imagine I can grab a cable assembly from there too.

Time to explore how to get the hoist off and put a new one on.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I had no idea that this is a very common issue.

I was looking last night and can grab a used spare from a junkyard for ~$50, and I imagine I can grab a cable assembly from there too.

Time to explore how to get the hoist off and put a new one on.

Thanks again.

I haven't looked at the Ram winch mount, but with my F150 it just was two bolts to remove/replace and it was a fairly simple operation.

I did look underneath the RAM and there are a couple holes in the frame that I think I could use to put a ratchet strap across, as insurance. If you go to YouTube and go look for spare tires falling off you'll find videos of it happening and it's scary.

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine broke prior to me purchasing the truck. I had a flat and lowered the spare-no problem but when I went to winch it back up it was stripped/rounded off. It’ll go up with no tire but won’t budge if it has weight on the cable.

If anyone has one they don’t mind getting rid of shot me a PM I live in Louisiana.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came with a temp spare which I replaced last summer with a full size.

I put a lock around the frame and the wheel so it wouldn't get stolen by some ******* but it won't keep it from dropping onto the road.

I like the ratchet strap idea for a little extra insurance but I think you would have to cut that ratchet strap off after a year of getting exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
NovaScotia Ram

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine came with a temp spare which I replaced last summer with a full size.

I put a lock around the frame and the wheel so it wouldn't get stolen by some ******* but it won't keep it from dropping onto the road.

I like the ratchet strap idea for a little extra insurance but I think you would have to cut that ratchet strap off after a year of getting exposed to the elements.

Can you post a pic of your setup?

Cheers

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never thought to take one.

Many Rams come with a full size spare but mine didn't.

I bought a 20" steel wheel from a Ram dealer and mounted my 34" tire (LT275/62R20) on it. It is tight but it fits.

Next time I am under there I will get one.