Missing Spare Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
While we are on the subject of spare tires, you should really try to remember to check the pressure in your spare from time to time. After a couple of years it could well be at about 1/2 the pressure you would want it to have if you need to put it on. Would be as useless as if it was gone...

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While we are on the subject of spare tires, you should really try to remember to check the pressure in your spare from time to time. After a couple of years it could well be at about 1/2 the pressure you would want it to have if you need to put it on. Would be as useless as if it was gone...

^This^

Just had Discount Tire air mine up Friday when they did the R&B. It was a few pounds low just from the few months since my last R&B.

Now, if they would have just aired the rears up to 80, my TPMS wouldn't be complaining.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like we should all be checking out our SPARE TIRES and getting a couple of Ratchet Straps up underneath there to assist in holding the tire in place !

All the years I've owned vehicles with the spare mounted uner the rear of the vehicle using a cable winch............and never one time have any of them dropped the spare! Perhaps the fact that many of you guys live in the rust prone areas...........

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
All the years I've owned vehicles with the spare mounted uner the rear of the vehicle using a cable winch............and never one time have any of them dropped the spare! Perhaps the fact that many of you guys live in the rust prone areas...........

I do live near the beach, but when mine broke the cable didn't show any signs of rust. It was just metal fatigue from years of that small cable holding up the heavy spare tire.

OP
OP
NovaScotia Ram

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Bringing this thread back to life for a quick question.

Do any of you do any preventive maintenance on your spare set up? I.e grease the cable, drop the spare every so often, etc.

Cheers

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do any of you do any preventive maintenance on your spare set up? I.e grease the cable, drop the spare every so often, etc.
Yes it's a good idea to lower the spare tire and lube the winch assembly. How often is dependent on you local winter conditions, somewhere the roads are salted/brined should be done more often than places don't see any.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

Cheers

Actually I did that just a couple days ago. I had never pulled the jack out, so I pulled the jack out put all the pieces together to make sure it worked, then dropped the spare down and I only had silicone to spray on the cable, but the cable looked good and had some lubricant on it anyway. Also aired it up, it was low.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I lower and lube the spare tire cable twice a year with motorcycle chain lube. Plus I run my spare over inflated by just a few pounds

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Cheers

Every spring and fall I drop mine, wash the spare itself, check it for damage, top off the air pressure if needed and apply a fresh coat of Fluid Film to the rim, the cable and the winch mechanism. I live in the salt belt and things underneath rust FAST if not treated.

-K

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
After reading this thread I will drop mine. I did shoot some WD 40 on in before but I will drop and grease ! As soon and we get above 40 and no snow :O