Mopar WTW Running Board Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ripvanhalen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scheduled build date for my 2022 Ram Classic is 11/29/21.

It is reg. cab, 8' bed --- ordered w/o running boards, thinking aftermarket would be better deal.
Later saw the fold out steps for side access to bed, but those are $$.

The reg. cab, 6'4" has an optional Mopar wheel to wheel running board, it extends to give
side bed access.

It looks like the reg. cab has two mounting brackets for running boards that are in the same positions
for either bed length.

I did a quick photoshop and added the 6'4" w-t-w running boards onto a reg. cab, 8' bed.
These boards would extend about half way from front of bed to the rear wheel, but still looks
like it would give pretty nice extra length for access to the front part of bed.

Anybody else done this? Are there any differences in the mounting bracket positions between 6'4" and 8' bed?

Also looking for opinions about how this would look, with boards only going about 1/2 way to rear wheel.

ram_steps_wtw_b.jpg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as I know, the mounting points are all on the cab - but I will be honest and say that I haven't looked at standard cab with different bed lengths mounting.
I think the biggest problem, unless you are very light, is the unsupported end from the cab back.
But the length you have in your pic should be fine since the bracket isn't that far away.
Being able to step is one of the reasons I went to WTW from cab length - I couldn't reach the middle of the back window to clean it without them or a ladder lol.

The wheelbase (140") for your truck is the same as the wheelbase on the crew cab w/5'7" bed. So the WTW for the crew cab w/5'7" bed should be the WTW for your truck.
The wheelbase on the reg cab w/6'4" bed is 120 inches so those boards should be about 20" shorter than the crewcab - which is probably the same length as the crew cab - cab length boards if I had to guess.

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The brackets and mounting are all based on the cab regardless of the bed. I don't see any reason you couldn't use the long boards on your truck so long as they're intended for a regular cab.