More Ram fun (coolant)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was throwing in my AEM drop in filter when I noticed a nice dosage of coolant leaking (pics attached). Dealer had just done work on this no more than 6 months ago. Replaced thermostat, radiator cap, gasket, full coolant and transmission service as well. Frustrating to say the least.

Weird because I didn’t smell any coolant and truck seemed to be running fine. Checked coolant level and that’s a bubble under max as well. Any ideas where it’s coming from before I take her in again? (Sigh)

9ED43BE9-9969-4383-84D3-99D49D19B407.jpeg

F1860587-A2BF-40EF-9ACA-8702D952819E.jpeg

FDFA4E9D-B689-4392-8DC7-7C2FD172928F.jpeg

1D4331A0-2E8B-4892-B841-B53F526A0B2E.jpeg

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IS it possible all that from when work was done and the area was not cleaned properly? Grabbing at straws...

If fresh, maybe gasket leaking and all over from throwback from fan, again grabbing straws...

OP
OP
MileHighRam11

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s definitely possible. Would of thought I noticed this though...might try and clean it up myself and see if there’s a fresh leak from somewhere...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like the thermostat gasket **** the bed.

Blue Mule
THAT was a thought but w/o being there real hard. U know, maybe a loose bolt (s), not torqued properly, warped, bad gasket, Hmmmmmmmm

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Gasket, you need to replace gasket everytime you replace it, dealers are notorious for not doing so. You could probably just use some gasket maker done. If you have oat and not hoat, then you should fix that asap. You may have hoat, but another larger issue is did the dealer put back oat into your hoat, at that point I'm flushing.

When you get the thermo stat off, put your finger around and see how slimey that is. I guess misery loves company, I will be doing a thermo stat for a friend this week.

Drain some off, it should be nice clear orange.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thermo stat gasket was not tight enuff, they caught it, tightened it,then failed to clean teh engine

or, the hose was not down far enuff on the nipple, I would check that first. amke sure the hose clamphas a good bite, all around the termostat housing nipple/

then wash the engine, when hot. clean thoroughly. wash for any other leak indicators.

either way, my truck wouldnot go back to that sho, regardless of cause or fix/no fix

OP
OP
MileHighRam11

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I have limited time this week so I’ll see what I can do. I handed them hoat before the full coolant service back in June so it should be just hoat...I guess I shouldn’t assume.

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just did a thermostat and water pump. The hose connection to the thermostat nipple is not great. The factory hose leaves some to be desired thickness wise. It looks like it may be running from bottom of hose where it ends down the nipple. I had to adjust the hose and spring clamp, and then added a second worm clamp. I will be replacing the hose soon. There were bad batches of hoses also from the factory that were sometimes affected by the coolant. Another reason I’ll be updating hoses. I just hope I can catch a lot of my coolant. Very expensive to lose after I just replaced it all.

2014 Ram 1500 5.7l CrewCab
Sent via Tapatalk

OP
OP
MileHighRam11

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just did a thermostat and water pump. The hose connection to the thermostat nipple is not great. The factory hose leaves some to be desired thickness wise. It looks like it may be running from bottom of hose where it ends down the nipple. I had to adjust the hose and spring clamp, and then added a second worm clamp. I will be replacing the hose soon. There were bad batches of hoses also from the factory that were sometimes affected by the coolant. Another reason I’ll be updating hoses. I just hope I can catch a lot of my coolant. Very expensive to lose after I just replaced it all.

Sent via Tapatalk

Have your leaks been fixed after thermostat and water pump? I’m not opposed to replacing the hoses just so I can cover another base. Are there specific brands that make a thicker, sturdier hose?

jlongjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My initial leak was on my radiator only. I changed the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, idler pulley, tensioner, and belt all as preventative maintenance since I am at 145k and while the radiator was out I had tons of room, perfect opportunity. I was going to get hoses also upfront but decided not to at the last moment when ordering the parts.

From the minor research I did, the inferior hoses are no longer available that were used. They seemed to be in the 2012-2015 years. So I assume that any new hoses ordered will be fine. The factory hose seems very thin, not sure how many plys it is, but all my previous vehicles that I did any hose work on, the hoses seemed a lot more dense and were much more of a struggle to get back on due to thickness and rigidity. These factory hoses were very pliable and we’re easy to push on and off, too easy for my liking.

The only other leak I had was after the parts replacement and was very slight at the thermostat neck. It was obvious the hose was leaking as I could see it running slowly while the truck was running. Also the hose had some typical wear from corrosion on the neck, I cleaned both the neck and the hose before re-assembling and this sometimes causes leaks just due to removal of original material thickness. Plus the hose didn’t seat the same after cleaning when putting back together. I think a new hose will help with this, since it will not have any of that original “memory” imprinted on the inside of the hose.

Sent via Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the replies. I have limited time this week so I’ll see what I can do. I handed them hoat before the full coolant service back in June so it should be just hoat...I guess I shouldn’t assume.

smart fella right there....

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
IS it possible all that from when work was done and the area was not cleaned properly? Grabbing at straws...

If fresh, maybe gasket leaking and all over from throwback from fan, again grabbing straws...
+1
You read my mind. Antifreeze doesn't evaporate like that unless it's hitting something really hot.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Possible there could be double gaskets. Most thermostats come with gaskets themselves and throwing a second one on there could sure cause a leak.

OP
OP
MileHighRam11

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well it’s definitely a fresh leak. Cleaned the whole area up yesterday and started it up. Nice dose of bright orange coolant coming from that thermostat gasket. Loose bolt and ****** gasket. We’ll see what else there is. Dropped her off at the dealer an hour ago.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gasket, you need to replace gasket everytime you replace it, dealers are notorious for not doing so. You could probably just use some gasket maker done. If you have oat and not hoat, then you should fix that asap. You may have hoat, but another larger issue is did the dealer put back oat into your hoat, at that point I'm flushing.

When you get the thermo stat off, put your finger around and see how slimey that is. I guess misery loves company, I will be doing a thermo stat for a friend this week.

Drain some off, it should be nice clear orange.

Good call :birgits_tiredcoffee

Got a question for ya, or everyone, lol, gonna ask in syn oil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MileHighRam11

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dealer called. Main culprits are the water pump and upper radiator hose. Both need replacing. Also stated the fan clutch was “squeaking”, found a lose bolt in it and crack as well...also needs replacing. They’ll have it through the weekend sounds like and I’ll be out of the country on vacation. Time to drink away the pain!

E81F57D6-7AE2-4088-A97D-A5271E6A2AB1.jpeg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not seeing the problem first-hand makes it tough but it sounds like to me that they are just throwing parts at it, at your expense, of course, trying to figure out the problem. Hope you get it solved before they want to replace your whole damn engine---LOL
Jay

OP
OP
MileHighRam11

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They just about have lol and I’ve had that feeling ever since they did my lifter and cam, but a new water pump at 144k miles is probably necessary. I would of thought a gasket or bolt needed replacing but what do I know. This is the 4th place I’ve been to and seems to be the most trustworthy. If anyone knows cheaper, better places to get their truck fixed in the Colorado Springs area I’m all ears haha.