Morimoto HID help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed Morimoto HID conversion. Consists of the relay harness, ballast, igniter, bulbs

Passenger side lasted 2 days, had to replace bulb

Passenger side went out 2 days later, call TRS and they are sending me a new ballast

1 day later (today) drivers light goes out on my way home.

So in 6 days the lights worked a total of 1 day.

What the hell can be causing this? The relay harness connects to the battery and has its own ground.

I thought Morimoto was supposed to be quality stuff???

TRS has been great and I’m sure they will send me another ballast, but I need to figure out what’s going on, everyone seems to swear by these HID’s and I’m very close to going back to LED, maybe not as bright but they worked.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What year truck? Did you change your settings in AlfaOBD?

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's just how HID kits are. Morimoto and whomever else all have bad blassts, bulbs, harnesses, etc. You have to just get lucky I guess. My Ebay $40 HID kit has had no issues in the 7 months I've had them installed, go figure.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's just how HID kits are. Morimoto and whomever else all have bad blassts, bulbs, harnesses, etc. You have to just get lucky I guess. My Ebay $40 HID kit has had no issues in the 7 months I've had them installed, go figure.
It’s making me crazy, I try to buy high quality stuff and it seems that I’ve had more luck with cheap amazon stuff when it comes to lighting.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What year truck? Did you change your settings in AlfaOBD?
Not sure why year or Alpha would make any difference but no haven’t changed anything in Alpha and I have a 2018 2500, the kit uses a relay harness connected directly to the battery so the only thing the actual oem wiring does is trigger the relay, should have no bearing on the ballasts or bulbs.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s making me crazy, I try to buy high quality stuff and it seems that I’ve had more luck with cheap amazon stuff when it comes to lighting.

I went through all of that relay this and that and hooking up directly to the battery harnesses and they always had problems for me. Now mine are simple, old school bulb and ballast straight wired to each headlight.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went through all of that relay this and that and hooking up directly to the battery harnesses and they always had problems for me. Now mine are simple, old school bulb and ballast straight wired to each headlight.
So you eliminated the harness and wired the ballast straight to the oem 9006 connectors for the low beam light?
I’ve read that they can draw too much current and cause wiring issues that way? I’m not an electrical expert at all so any help is appreciated.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure why year or Alpha would make any difference but no haven’t changed anything in Alpha and I have a 2018 2500, the kit uses a relay harness connected directly to the battery so the only thing the actual oem wiring does is trigger the relay, should have no bearing on the ballasts or bulbs.

Have you had hids in that truck before? Running your hids with a relay to the battery doesn't matter. Your computer is reading the amount of volts the light is reading. If it's not getting what it needs it will shut the power off completely. I just went through this with my truck they would work then pulsate and burnt my bulb out. Used AlfaOBD change the settings no one problem.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you had hids in that truck before? Running your hids with a relay to the battery doesn't matter. Your computer is reading the amount of volts the light is reading. If it's not getting what it needs it will shut the power off completely. I just went through this with my truck they would work then pulsate and burnt my bulb out. Used AlfaOBD change the settings no one problem.
Interesting, the kit uses resistors to connect to the oem wiring, this should take care of the CanBus, interesting part is that the passenger side went out first and that side has no connection to the oem wiring at all. You use the drivers side oem low beam connector to trigger the relay and that side also has a resistor. I get no light out warnings leading me to believe that the bcm is not shutting off power to the low beams. The truck has projectors (halogen from factory). I’m no electric expert but don’t see how the bcm would have anything to do with my issue, if I turn on the lights, I hear the relay trigger, from there it’s all the kit and unless the bcm cuts power (like you said) the lights should work. I am guessing I just had bad luck and defective ballasts.

So I guess my question to you is, wouldn’t I get a light out warning before the bcm cuts power to the lights?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you eliminated the harness and wired the ballast straight to the oem 9006 connectors for the low beam light?
I’ve read that they can draw too much current and cause wiring issues that way? I’m not an electrical expert at all so any help is appreciated.

They typically us about 15amps on start up but then run down to 3-10amp your fuse will pop before your wiring gets ****** up. That's what the ballast is for to convert the power.... they typically run less power then halogen

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They typically us about 15amps on start up but then run down to 3-10amp your fuse will pop before your wiring gets ****** up. That's what the ballast is for to convert the power.... they typically run less power then halogen
So did you use resistors to fool CanBus or change the BCM with Alpha to suppress light out warning?

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, the kit uses resistors to connect to the oem wiring, this should take care of the CanBus, interesting part is that the passenger side went out first and that side has no connection to the oem wiring at all. You use the drivers side oem low beam connector to trigger the relay and that side also has a resistor. I get no light out warnings leading me to believe that the bcm is not shutting off power to the low beams. The truck has projectors (halogen from factory). I’m no electric expert but don’t see how the bcm would have anything to do with my issue, if I turn on the lights, I hear the relay trigger, from there it’s all the kit and unless the bcm cuts power (like you said) the lights should work. I am guessing I just had bad luck and defective ballasts.

So I guess my question to you is, wouldn’t I get a light out warning before the bcm cuts power to the lights?

The bcm does cut power since your relay is connected to the battery it starts up waiting for the signal (oem headlight wire). My truck would run my lights pulsate on the drives side turn off. Then I would shut the truck off then the passenger side did it. Then both completely random but I did some reading and the computer was shutting them off

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So did you use resistors to fool CanBus or change the BCM with Alpha to suppress light out warning?

I never used resistors just alpha. Resistors are a hit or miss. I used them on my tail lights and license plate lights. Once I found out about alpha I pulled them all out and changed settings

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The headlight I did have were supposed to be error free with out resistors.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bcm does cut power since your relay is connected to the battery it starts up waiting for the signal (oem headlight wire). My truck would run my lights pulsate on the drives side turn off. Then I would shut the truck off then the passenger side did it. Then both completely random but I did some reading and the computer was shutting them off
I’ll give it a shot, if I remember the only option in the bcm is LED, is that what you switched them to? Don’t remember seeing HID in the AlohaODB

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll give it a shot, if I remember the only option in the bcm is LED, is that what you switched them to? Don’t remember seeing HID in the AlohaODB

20190225_191059.jpg

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I’ll give that a shot tomorrow, I’ll post back if it fixes the problem, may help others here.

Looking at my settings I have low beams set to led also. I know hid pull less power then halogen. We used them in our quads for that reason.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he has factory projectors, that setting is already enabled.
Under vehicle config 3, enable high Intensity Discharge head lamps.

Ok now I’m a bit confused, which settings should be changed?

Oem projectors original halogen bulbs, now Morimoto HID

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357