Morimoto XB LED Headlights INSTALLED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think he was referring to the person who had the housing melt because of a defect inside the Morimoto that turned the sun into a point reflection against the housing, melting it.

At the price tag you refer to, I would expect something like that to happen. But at the price tag of the Morimotos, absolutely not.

Ah gotcha I miss read. I thought he was talking about the knock offs. Ram themselves had a melting issue with the black bezels. Very curious how many of the Morimotos will melt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think he was referring to the person who had the housing melt because of a defect inside the Morimoto that turned the sun into a point reflection against the housing, melting it.

At the price tag you refer to, I would expect something like that to happen. But at the price tag of the Morimotos, absolutely not.

Do you have a link to the housings that melted? I’d like to have a look but I can’t find the guy with the melted set anywhere. I came across a guy claiming everyone’s housings were melting but when I asked him for a link he dodged me and was saying I was just defending Morimoto because I was asking for a link because I want to see them and then never responded again after that.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a link to the housings that melted? I’d like to have a look but I can’t find the guy with the melted set anywhere. I came across a guy claiming everyone’s housings were melting but when I asked him for a link he dodged me and was saying I was just defending Morimoto because I was asking for a link because I want to see them and then never responded again after that.

Its in the long(er) Morimoto headlights thread in this forum.

https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2032479/

At first TRS refused to warranty them (seriously?) but eventually came back and said they would.

There are other issues reported in that same thread.

I know, its the internet and take it with a grain of salt, but there is also a very long thread about the knock-off version (Modifystreet) with little or no complaints of issues out of the box.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

At first TRS refused to warranty them (seriously?) but eventually came back and said they would.

I know, its the internet and take it with a grain of salt, but there is also a very long thread about the knock-off version (Modifystreet) with little or no complaints of issues out of the box.

Awesome thank you!

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

See I’m glad you sent me that. First guy said the sun melted his lens and that they weren’t covering it under warranty. Reading his post it looks like the broken projector melted the housing and Morimoto ended up covering it. I see why he wouldn’t send me the link now lol. Definitely feel better knowing it wasn’t the sun but still didn’t mean we are safe from the sun doing some damage.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome thank you!

NP.

Im not hating on the Morimotos...the small differences between them and the Modifystreet are what make them better, IMHO. But I would expect a lot less issues/more helpfulness from everyone involved if I were spending $1000.00+ on headlights.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See I’m glad you sent me that. First guy said the sun melted his lens and that they weren’t covering it under warranty. Reading his post it looks like the broken projector melted the housing and Morimoto ended up covering it. I see why he wouldn’t send me the link now lol. Definitely feel better knowing it wasn’t the sun but still didn’t mean we are safe from the sun doing some damage.

Well, technically it was the sun :) the projector jammed in there and turned it into a concentrated point of heat. Fine for killing ants, not fine for plastic headlights.

The point being, floppy projectors never should have been shipped to begin with. Doesnt matter who jammed it in there to get it past QA or if it jammed in there after the fact. Point is it happened and then the sun did actually melt the housing, technically.

Again, for 1K+, it never should have gotten to the customer. And if we start to blame poor handling during the shipping process, Im pretty sure our trucks get thrown around quite a bit on the road, so if the projector breaks during shipping, what will happen during actual use?

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NP.

Im not hating on the Morimotos...the small differences between them and the Modifystreet are what make them better, IMHO. But I would expect a lot less issues/more helpfulness from everyone involved if I were spending $1000.00+ on headlights.

Yeah I’ve been in contact with the president of Morimoto since like January. Talking back and forward they said that the xb housings they’re making for all these cars and trucks are a completely new product for them. That there’s a big learning curve from what they’re used to and a lot of trial and error. For me they have been extremely easy to get along with and replaced my lose projector on my early release set without batting an eye but again could be from building a small relationship with them.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, technically it was the sun :) the projector jammed in there and turned it into a concentrated point of heat. Fine for killing ants, not fine for plastic headlights.

The point being, floppy projectors never should have been shipped to begin with. Doesnt matter who jammed it in there to get it past QA or if it jammed in there after the fact. Point is it happened and then the sun did actually melt the housing, technically.

Again, for 1K+, it never should have gotten to the customer. And if we start to blame poor handling during the shipping process, Im pretty sure our trucks get thrown around quite a bit on the road, so if the projector breaks during shipping, what will happen during actual use?

Actually I have some experience there being a truck driver. Like 18 wheeler not pickup truck. Freight does get abused constantly. Especially going over seas. So it is plausible that they broke during shipping considering them came on the same container. For all we know the container could have been dropped at the ports or a lot could have been thrown onto the airplane after they got off the container. Just depends on who was handling them or what happened to them in transit. They all are in a group. That being said it could also very well be the manufacturer. They seem to be very frustrated with the manufacturer on these housings. Which makes me believe that they very possibly were all very poorly assembled. It sounded like they’re in need of contracting the housings to another manufacturer. Problem is they’re all over seas and a lot of crap products come from over seas.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I thought the housings were advertised as having some sort of protectant.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the housings were advertised as having some sort of protectant.

That’s for oxidizing and flaking

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s from oxidizing and flaking

Could have swore I saw somewhere claiming UV blocking coating or something. I honestly can’t remember.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could have swore I saw somewhere claiming UV blocking coating or something. I honestly can’t remember.

Yeah same thing the sun causes oxidation. Doesn’t protect them from heat. It’s like putting sun block on your body. Saves you from getting burnt from the UV rays but you will still be hot.

jmc0806

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my order but I have a 2015, is it worth even attempting to install them without the resistors or is that going to be a waste of time? I dont plan on changing the truck settings to LED with the reader

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got my order but I have a 2015, is it worth even attempting to install them without the resistors or is that going to be a waste of time? I dont plan on changing the truck settings to LED with the reader

It only takes 10 minutes to swap the housings so I’d say it’s worth a shot. I don’t think ALL 15s have the same issue

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
For those of you that bought these I'd take a pic of the serial number on each light and keep for your records. I'm having one light replaced but they are saying I need to supply serial number first which is annoying that I have to remove the headlight before I actually have the replacement for it, just to install it again and repeat once it arrives

Screenshot_20190528-092009_Email.jpg

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those of you that bought these I'd take a pic of the serial number on each light and keep for your records. I'm having one light replaced but they are saying I need to supply serial number first which is annoying that I have to remove the headlight before I actually have the replacement for it, just to install it again and repeat once it arrives

View attachment 167743

Yes good looking out. Had to do the same

Reddington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got to do my first real drive at night today. These are so much better than the stock halogens in the quads - as in no comparison whatsoever. I’m pretty damn well satisfied at this point.