MPG 3.92 compared to 3.21 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Holy cow there is someone that can do math! Its always amazing the people that miss this key factor. For many its less per year in the difference based on miles driven.

Oh for sure!

I'm basing that $1000/yr thing on driving approx 15K miles/year. If you drove more or had a few trucks, you could see where more MPGs matters, but for the 12-15K/yr, single truck owner? It's maybe $20/week more than driving something that gets ~21mpg. Now if you're comparing it to a Prius, that's another matter. LOL.

Last edited:
R

Rogues Gambit

Hahaha that's good stuff. Yeah if mpg is really truly that important, a full size pickup doesn't really make sense.

I'm actually shocked that one made it, mods usually remove my dank memes

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just returned from Taos nm to dfw..650 miles each way. got as high as 19 in the mountains but on the way back to dfw mileage slowly dropped from 19 to 15.5 by the time I got home. going downhill all the way at 77 with cruise set, the mileage just dropped all the way home. after a few short trips around town on the freeway, I am at 14.8. I would accept that for in town but was expecting better on the highway. I have about 3500 miles on truck.

That seems odd, so going downhill and obviously also going lower in elevation with highway conditions, and fuel mileage decreases?

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
That seems odd, so going downhill and obviously also going lower in elevation with highway conditions, and fuel mileage decreases?

does not make much sense to me either except that with 33 gal tank 2/3 of the trip home was on 86 octane Taos gas.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
does not mack much sense to me either except that with 33 gal tank 2/3 of the trip home was on 86 octane Taos gas.

Very odd indeed, was it holding a lower gear going downhill or something (higher rpm?) What octane was the gas on your way to Taos? Either way thats a pretty big jump down considering the circumstances.

mzyski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 longhorn crew cab 6.5ft bed with the 3.21s. I average 15ish in town. I haven't taken any trips to see what I'll get on highway yet. 3500 miles. Already had 1 oil change. I also have a drop in knn filter, no difference lol.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Very odd indeed, was it holding a lower gear going downhill or something (higher rpm?) What octane was the gas on your way to Taos? Either way thats a pretty big jump down considering the circumstances.
I filled up before the trip with the 87 here. maybe the high elevation gas had some additives my truck didnt agree with. coming home was downhill from 6900' to 600' elev. the thing is, my son has identical truck but a 2017 and he drives more aggressively and gets 19-20 all the time on the highway. we both get about the same in town. This is a great truck so the not so great highway mileage wont be deal breaker just a little disappointing.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
does not mack much sense to me either except that with 33 gal tank 2/3 of the trip home was on 86 octane Taos gas.

Unless you were driving into a wind.
Wind and esp. a frontal crosswind will kill mpg -even going down in elevation.
Also the air gets denser as you drop and that reduces mpg. - but wind is the big killer for me.

Might explain it.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I drive a lot of city miles for my work each day and I am getting 14.7 with winter fuel,10 ply snow tires and 4 mud flaps 3.92 gears which all rob a bit of mpg. My 2015 with 3.21 years averaged 15.5 around town. I had a ram with 3.55 gears prior and it delivered the best mpg of 16.5. This is at 5300 feet elevation.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you were driving into a wind.
Wind and esp. a frontal crosswind will kill mpg -even going down in elevation.
Also the air gets denser as you drop and that reduces mpg. - but wind is the big killer for me.

Might explain it.

Good call on the wind, that could most certainly effect things. Going down in elevation killing fuel mileage though? I've never gotten better fuel mileage in thinner (higher) air. Always better at lower elevation.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I filled up before the trip with the 87 here. maybe the high elevation gas had some additives my truck didnt agree with. coming home was downhill from 6900' to 600' elev. the thing is, my son has identical truck but a 2017 and he drives more aggressively and gets 19-20 all the time on the highway. we both get about the same in town. This is a great truck so the not so great highway mileage wont be deal breaker just a little disappointing.

Wonder what his rpms are vs yours? More aggressive holding gears or with speed? Or both?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good call on the wind, that could most certainly effect things. Going down in elevation killing fuel mileage though? I've never gotten better fuel mileage in thinner (higher) air. Always better at lower elevation.

I always get better mpg at high altitude vs. close to sea level - the air is less dense so it takes less hp to push through it.

But I have lost mpg coming down in elevation also - usually due to a wind - my truck is very wind sensitive, it can drop from 18 mpg to 12 mpg with a decent frontal crosswind.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always get better mpg at high altitude vs. close to sea level - the air is less dense so it takes less hp to push through it.

But I have lost mpg coming down in elevation also - usually due to a wind - my truck is very wind sensitive, it can drop from 18 mpg to 12 mpg with a decent frontal crosswind.

Maybe I'm comparing to high of an altitude, I usually don't drive at high altitude as we are only about 800ft above sea level. However, last 2 times I was in Colorado I drove our **** box corolla rental car over the Eisenhower pass and the thing struggled so bad (lack of power) and got way worse mpg up there. I would say the same experience with an STI I took up pikes peak, except less noticeable loss of power and mpg, but still a decreased amount. However, that was straight up and back down, the previous experience with the corolla we stayed in Silverthorne for a couple of days at elevation, and the thing sucked. Again though, that was a corolla sooooo maybe thats just how those are?

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You loose 2% of your power for every 1000 feet of elevation so at 5000 feet you are down 10% on power unless you have a turbo. That offsets the thin air and then some.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You loose 2% of your power for every 1000 feet of elevation so at 5000 feet you are down 10% on power unless you have a turbo. That offsets the thin air and then some.

Makes sense, the corolla obviously wasn't turbo and on the Eisenhower pass it gets up around 11,000 feet. The STI went up 14,000 feet but the turbo certainly did seem to help it, although still could definitely notice it was not the same as it was at lower elevation.

R

Rogues Gambit

Maybe I'm comparing to high of an altitude, I usually don't drive at high altitude as we are only about 800ft above sea level. However, last 2 times I was in Colorado I drove our **** box corolla rental car over the Eisenhower pass and the thing struggled so bad (lack of power) and got way worse mpg up there. I would say the same experience with an STI I took up pikes peak, except less noticeable loss of power and mpg, but still a decreased amount. However, that was straight up and back down, the previous experience with the corolla we stayed in Silverthorne for a couple of days at elevation, and the thing sucked. Again though, that was a corolla sooooo maybe thats just how those are?

Didn't notice anything when I went to Colorado w/my GF and the Golf. Of course, we were driving 8hrs from NM, so maybe that's why. Definitely have to go back though

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't notice anything when I went to Colorado w/my GF and the Golf. Of course, we were driving 8hrs from NM, so maybe that's why. Definitely have to go back though

Yeah it's a beautiful and fun state to visit, I'm sure my GF and I will also be making a return trip at some point. And I just noticed the difference especially in the rental corolla from driving around Denver elevation for 3-4 days and then the travel up to Silverthorne and staying there for 2-3 days. The difference was huge, but again maybe corolla's are just especially ****** at those heights. With considerably more power and a turbo the STI I took up pikes peak seemed to be effected much less.