MPG 3.92 compared to 3.21 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumper4524

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Bighorn quadcab 4X2 with the Hemi, 8 speed, and 3.21 gears. I average about 17.5 to 18.5 with mds turned off here in the Carolina foothills.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

R

Rogues Gambit

Yeah it's a beautiful and fun state to visit, I'm sure my GF and I will also be making a return trip at some point. And I just noticed the difference especially in the rental corolla from driving around Denver elevation for 3-4 days and then the travel up to Silverthorne and staying there for 2-3 days. The difference was huge, but again maybe corolla's are just especially ****** at those heights. With considerably more power and a turbo the STI I took up pikes peak seemed to be effected much less.

Her car was stock at 170/199 at that time, now it's 250ish between the st1 tune, drop in filter and spark plugs

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gotta IS20 (GTI) turbo in the garage, need a downpipe, intercooler and Cai to get the most gains from the upgrade, then it'll push over 310hp

Makes me jealous, I have a 66 Buick that's already pretty nice but I have tons more plans and about half the parts lying around to do it. However, I'm on a couple year hiatus and using that money for some investments instead.

R

Rogues Gambit

Makes me jealous, I have a 66 Buick that's already pretty nice but I have tons more plans and about half the parts lying around to do it. However, I'm on a couple year hiatus and using that money for some investments instead.

And I'm trying to figure out where to invest. Any good sites or recommendations?

Mvp_Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L V8
2019 Laramie 1500 with 3.92's and I just broke 500 miles yesterday and since I bought the truck i haven't reset my mpg meter and so far my average is 13.8. City with MDS on it's in the 20's and on the highway it ranges from 22-36mpg. the dealer filled her with 87 but im on my second tank and I put the recommended 89 and it seems to hold up better with more usable power. Last night I had to run around town like a mad man because I was late meeting up with friends and mpg is down to 12.9 lol I can care less because this is my first pickup and I love everything about it. On the next tank I will reset everything and see if there is a difference. oh! before I forget, I'm in south florida 19 feet above sea level lol

On a side note:
1. How is everyone turning MDS off? I like it but for long term I personally don't think it will make the engine last as long as it could due to uneven wear.
2. Besides filling up the tank when its empty, how do you find out how big the tank is? I've checked that manual and the monroney sticker about five times and can't find anything about the tank size. I usually fill up a little after half tank so if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Laramie 1500 with 3.92's and I just broke 500 miles yesterday and since I bought the truck i haven't reset my mpg meter and so far my average is 13.8. City with MDS on it's in the 20's and on the highway it ranges from 22-36mpg. the dealer filled her with 87 but im on my second tank and I put the recommended 89 and it seems to hold up better with more usable power. Last night I had to run around town like a mad man because I was late meeting up with friends and mpg is down to 12.9 lol I can care less because this is my first pickup and I love everything about it. On the next tank I will reset everything and see if there is a difference. oh! before I forget, I'm in south florida 19 feet above sea level lol

On a side note:
1. How is everyone turning MDS off? I like it but for long term I personally don't think it will make the engine last as long as it could due to uneven wear.
2. Besides filling up the tank when its empty, how do you find out how big the tank is? I've checked that manual and the monroney sticker about five times and can't find anything about the tank size. I usually fill up a little after half tank so if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate it.

To turn mds off you can go into manual gear select mode and put it in 8th gear, that way it acts as an automatic but mds won't come on. However, you do have to do that every time you put the vehicle in drive. I use mds on mine during long highway trips, otherwise I disable it every time. As for the tank size, if you can find where to get your ram's build sheet on their service website, it would list the tank size, along with every single other option on the truck. Since the last time I looked they have changed their website and I'm not sure if they still offer this on there, but you used to be able to type in your VIN and get the build sheet instantly. Worst case I'm sure you could request a build sheet from Ram and receive it via mail or email.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I'm trying to figure out where to invest. Any good sites or recommendations?

Guess that depends on what kind of investing you were looking to do. I've been investing in stocks for the last year or so, been using etrade and compared to some other places I've seen, at least for the type of stocks I'm buying, I'm very happy with them so far.

Mvp_Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L V8
To turn mds off you can go into manual gear select mode and put it in 8th gear, that way it acts as an automatic but mds won't come on. However, you do have to do that every time you put the vehicle in drive. I use mds on mine during long highway trips, otherwise I disable it every time. As for the tank size, if you can find where to get your ram's build sheet on their service website, it would list the tank size, along with every single other option on the truck. Since the last time I looked they have changed their website and I'm not sure if they still offer this on there, but you used to be able to type in your VIN and get the build sheet instantly. Worst case I'm sure you could request a build sheet from Ram and receive it via mail or email.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Rogues Gambit

Guess that depends on what kind of investing you were looking to do. I've been investing in stocks for the last year or so, been using etrade and compared to some other places I've seen, at least for the type of stocks I'm buying, I'm very happy with them so far.

Now to find the Ramforum of trading, thanks Joe!

R

Rogues Gambit

Total side note, now getting 13.3mpg with the tonneau cover

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I'm comparing to high of an altitude, I usually don't drive at high altitude as we are only about 800ft above sea level. However, last 2 times I was in Colorado I drove our **** box corolla rental car over the Eisenhower pass and the thing struggled so bad (lack of power) and got way worse mpg up there. I would say the same experience with an STI I took up pikes peak, except less noticeable loss of power and mpg, but still a decreased amount. However, that was straight up and back down, the previous experience with the corolla we stayed in Silverthorne for a couple of days at elevation, and the thing sucked. Again though, that was a corolla sooooo maybe thats just how those are?

I usually ave. about 17-18 mpg @ 70-74 mph at 0-1000' elevation.
Drove from Copper Mountain to Colorado Springs and ave. just over 24 mpg.
Another trip went from Glenwood Springs over Ike to Limon ( I 70) and managed 20 mpg. These were both winter trips also (Feb. or March)
Dropped down into the 16-17 range from Limon into Kansas.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I usually ave. about 17-18 mpg @ 70-74 mph at 0-1000' elevation.
Drove from Copper Mountain to Colorado Springs and ave. just over 24 mpg.
Another trip went from Glenwood Springs over Ike to Limon ( I 70) and managed 20 mpg. These were both winter trips also (Feb. or March)
Dropped down into the 16-17 range from Limon into Kansas.

How about power loss at elevation? In my one experience with the rental corolla I for sure would have traded the gas mileage to keep some of the power... STI not as noticeable.

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If the sticker doesn't show the $445 33- gallon fuel tank option then your truck has the standard 26 gallon tank.

Mvp_Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L V8
If the sticker doesn't show the $445 33- gallon fuel tank option then your truck has the standard 26 gallon tank.

Thanks for the tip.
I was almost at empty and I got 24 gallons in so I figured I had the 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Rogues Gambit

Off topic but since 3.92 comes w/e-lockero, how fast does it work up to?

joeagri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have 12K on my truck, bought it last July and getting 17MPG