MPG seems to be dropping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tramlimited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a 2021 eco diesel limited I bought "new" from the dealer with 5k on the motor. It was a dealer demo. For the first month when I filled the tank It would show just over 700 miles of range. I've changed the oil twice since then, now at 18k and the range has dropped to about 650 on a fill-up. I've reset the mpg calculator and did some pure highway tests which shows about 28mpg. Otherwise truck runs fine. Any ideas on the mileage drop?

Overall I love the truck. Cabin is the best, I do lots of driving and occasional trailer towing. In this regard it's a great mix of power and efficiency. Compared to my past diesels which put out clouds of exhaust, I can stand behind this truck and the exhaust is the cleanest ever. Which nice when hitching a trailer.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are also Summer/Winter blends of Diesel Fuel. Being in NY, you are probable already or super soon switched to Winter Blend, which lowers mpg a lil. Which is why I always put Diesel Kleen to up the cetane level of the fuel when I had my ED: There is a Summer/Winter blend of Diesel Kleen. Just make sure you put the appropriate stuff in, depending upon your weather.

Does winter diesel get worse mpg?

Winter blend fuels contain additives to lower the temperature at which diesel fuel gels. These additives adversely affect the cetane level of the fuel and can result in a loss of one-half to three-quarters of an mpg in fuel efficiency.

Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost (in the silver bottle) is an injector cleaner and performance improver for use when temperatures are above 30°F. Use our seasonal tip to help remember which product to use: “White for winter, silver for summer.” (Comes in white bottle, for winter)

Last edited:

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think the range is calculated on the most recent prior tank...if I did City driving, it shows a lower range when filling and vice versa for highway driving.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Clogged air filter? Clogged fuel filter(s)? Clogged DEF filter? Look for restrictions to air and fuel flow. It's usually one or more of these causing rich fueling.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Check the air in your tires. Dealer probably put them at max...Which gives you max mileage, but too much wear in the middle. Not sayin'...But ya never know

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have done a 100 km ( roughly 60 miles) trip that I do when I think I need a regen, Normally within a couple clicks of the usage. I do know though that your driving habits change your mpg huge.
Maybe you need to clean your map sensor as well. I have noticed my mpg change the closer I get to an oil change and the mtce needs. I do the mtce then I see improvements in fuel usage.

I do low miles as I basicly use my truck for hauling my sleds/boat

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963