Muffler choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys just traded my sport for an outdoorsman, my sport had a mufflex dod14 on it, it sounded good but often debated on removing resonators, for the outdoorsman single im debating between borla xr1 and keeping the resonator or borla pro xs with no resonator, thoughts or opinions on tgese choices?

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any reason on why not just use the Mufflex again or do you want to just try another muffler?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Co worker just put on a Borla xr1, left the reso on. He likes it as it is, he is happy with how loud it is. If he wants more sound after he drives it for awhile, he can still pull the reso. It does sound good.

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Co worker just put on a Borla xr1, left the reso on. He likes it as it is, he is happy with how loud it is. If he wants more sound after he drives it for awhile, he can still pull the reso. It does sound good.
In terms of loudness how does it compare to the 14 magnaflow?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if I've heard that in person... but side by side with mine it may be a tad quieter at idle. I have a Magnaflow catback, which has no resonators. On the gas, the Borla has a different sound to the Magnaflow, I would best describe it as....... more angry?. I am certain if all things being equal (no resonators) the Borla is louder.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Report back with whatever you decide, been contemplating the Borla Pro as my 22" Maggy drones a bit

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just have a thing for borla as on my old titan the pro xs was the only muffler that didnt drone on those things, obviously i wouldnt expect the xr1 to not drone thats why i'd likely keep resonator with it

Bradmxz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I'm kinda cheap and I have a 12 outdoorsman. I cut out the muffler and put in straight pipe left the resonator. Sounds exactly like a 70 charger going down the road when using manual shift. My rx8 is louder by comparison with a cat back

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm assuming he means 3" in 3" out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding the stock muffler? I don't think the y-pipe is the same size as your dual outlets.

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I know some guys have the Magnaflow mufflers, and they sound good. Their deep tone is not irritating.

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well the price of the xr1 made up my mind for me lol, ordered the pro xs 40353 this morning, 14" case

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
muffler preference is like boob preference some like tiny some like big some like fake some like real... its hard to say,

Are you planning a dual outlet or single outlet or does it already have duals?
I've heard alot of clips of the carven as suggested and they sound good, I have a Flowmaster Super 10 on mine... its loud as hell with very no drone in the cab and that is with a RCSB...

personally I have never been a fan of the borla, gibson or magnaflow mufflers as they have a tinny sound to them... the caven and flows have a very deep throaty v8 sound which is my preference..

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
muffler preference is like boob preference some like tiny some like big some like fake some like real... its hard to say,

Are you planning a dual outlet or single outlet or does it already have duals?
I've heard alot of clips of the carven as suggested and they sound good, I have a Flowmaster Super 10 on mine... its loud as hell with very no drone in the cab and that is with a RCSB...

personally I have never been a fan of the borla, gibson or magnaflow mufflers as they have a tinny sound to them... the caven and flows have a very deep throaty v8 sound which is my preference..
Single exhaust, as you said personal prefference, myself ive never been a fan of flowmaster lol, I will post my imressions once installed